    Andy Petro Guest

    In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ? Is it
    still on the hard drive?
    Andy Petro, Oct 30, 2008

  2. Andy Petro

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ?

    Err is this a trick question? Have you looked in the Deleted Items folder?
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 30, 2008

  3. Andy Petro

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:08:44 -0400, "Andy Petro"
    <> wrote:

    >In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ? Is it
    >still on the hard drive?

    Yes, in a file called, Deleted items.dbx
    joevan, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Andy Petro

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-10-30, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Andy Petro wrote:
    >> In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ?

    > It depends on how your maintenance is configured and performed.
    >
    >> Is it still on the hard drive?

    > Not in the same manner as other deleted files passing thru' the Trash
    > system.
    >
    > Let's follow a hypothetical mail message which came into your inbox which
    > you deleted.
    >
    > When/After you delete it, its 'substance' is still in the inbox.dbx
    > folder/file, it is simply hidden from your view. It is also now in the
    > Deleted folder and deleted.dbx folderfile. If you want your deleted
    > folder to be emptied whenever you exit OE, then you have to configure OE
    > to do that in the maintenance section.
    >
    > If you are so configured, then when you close OE, the deleted message will
    > be automatically deleted from deleted, but it will still be living in
    > obscurity in the inbox.dbx because you haven't yet compacted that folder.
    >
    > Only after compacting will the deleted message be 'completely' gone from
    > the inbox.dbx, and you have to have a configuration to handle how/when you
    > are going to be doing compacting.
    >
    > None of this involves the features of the Trash folder retention process.

    When the message is eventually 'compacted' out of the database, it's
    shredded and sent back up the pipe to your ISP where it is first used as
    bedding for the hamsters that power the whole internet, and is then
    composted and used for growing tomatoes for the staff canteen.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 30, 2008
  5. Andy Petro

    Clot Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-10-30, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >> Andy Petro wrote:
    >>> In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ?

    >> It depends on how your maintenance is configured and performed.
    >>
    >>> Is it still on the hard drive?

    >> Not in the same manner as other deleted files passing thru' the Trash
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Let's follow a hypothetical mail message which came into your inbox
    >> which you deleted.
    >>
    >> When/After you delete it, its 'substance' is still in the inbox.dbx
    >> folder/file, it is simply hidden from your view. It is also now in
    >> the Deleted folder and deleted.dbx folderfile. If you want your
    >> deleted folder to be emptied whenever you exit OE, then you have to
    >> configure OE to do that in the maintenance section.
    >>
    >> If you are so configured, then when you close OE, the deleted
    >> message will be automatically deleted from deleted, but it will
    >> still be living in obscurity in the inbox.dbx because you haven't
    >> yet compacted that folder.
    >>
    >> Only after compacting will the deleted message be 'completely' gone
    >> from the inbox.dbx, and you have to have a configuration to handle
    >> how/when you are going to be doing compacting.
    >>
    >> None of this involves the features of the Trash folder retention
    >> process.

    > When the message is eventually 'compacted' out of the database, it's
    > shredded and sent back up the pipe to your ISP where it is first used
    > as bedding for the hamsters that power the whole internet, and is then
    > composted and used for growing tomatoes for the staff canteen.

    That's good. At least it isn't landfilled. I bet the other type are still
    landfilled though?
    Clot, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Let's follow a hypothetical mail message which came into your inbox which
    > you deleted.

    Simple. A deleted inbox dbx file often enough is too big for the trash, it
    will be gone.
    But then, it can be rather difficult to actually find and delete the hidden
    almost-always-in-use file.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Andy Petro

    chuckcar Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in

    > In Outlook Express where does all the deleted incoming mail end up ? Is
    > it still on the hard drive?

    Do you mean actual messages you have deleted or perhaps the ones the
    filters hide because you have determined they are junk mail?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Andy Petro

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-10-30, Clot <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-30, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >>> Andy Petro wrote:

    [...]

    >> When the message is eventually 'compacted' out of the database, it's
    >> shredded and sent back up the pipe to your ISP where it is first used
    >> as bedding for the hamsters that power the whole internet, and is then
    >> composted and used for growing tomatoes for the staff canteen.

    > That's good. At least it isn't landfilled. I bet the other type are still
    > landfilled though?

    There's another type?

    --
    -- Whiskers