    I have done a search but it is not found.

    Help please? It is a file I spent hours working on!
    Thankyou, Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Lisa Taylor

    pcbutts1 Guest

    What file?

    pcbutts1, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > What file?

    It is a wmv file, nothing that the system depends on. I tried downloading
    free file restorers, but they will only recover limited sized things. The
    thing that is in the bin is 400megs. Fortunately, the settings allow files
    of that length to be put in there and not be immediately deleted.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Lisa Taylor

    Reid Decker Guest

    With XP Pro, go to Help, then System Restore. Set a Restore Point to
    before you deleted the file. Pick your own Restore Point, not what the
    computer sets.

    Reid Decker, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "Reid Decker" <> wrote in message
    > With XP Pro, go to Help, then System Restore. Set a Restore Point to
    > before you deleted the file. Pick your own Restore Point, not what the
    > computer sets.

    Thanks Reid, but I have already done a system restore to the day before the
    deletion. It was not restored to the desktop.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Lisa Taylor

    ProfGene Guest

    Double click on the recycle bin to see if your file is listed there. If it
    is listed and restore doesn't work try highlighting it, copying it, and
    pasting it into another folder. If you don't see it in the recycle bin it
    is gone and the only way to restore it would be to pay a lot of money to
    people who do this and that would require them having the hdd. Also if it
    is not in the recycle bin you might try one last desperate try using search
    to make sure it isn't somewhere on the computer.

    ProfGene, Jul 18, 2004
  7. Lisa Taylor

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:15:19 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Using XP Pro.
    >I deleted a file in error, the recycle bin icon shows something there.
    >I right click on the bin and it says 'delete these files?' so I know it is
    >there.
    >I explore the bin and click 'restore all items'. I hear a click but it is
    >not restored.
    >I have done a search but it is not found.
    >
    >Help please? It is a file I spent hours working on!
    >Thankyou, Lisa

    See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"

    Unk, Jul 18, 2004
  8. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    -----------------------
    > See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"

    -------------------------
    I did that (downloaded and ran item from line 64) but the recycle bin still
    shows full on the icon, but empty when I go into it. I right click to delete
    and it asks if I want to delete these 12 items. It makes a 'dong' sound when
    I press 'restore all items' but doesnt restore them.
    Thanks for your input.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004
  9. Lisa Taylor

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:46:54 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:15:19 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>Using XP Pro.
    >> >I deleted a file in error, the recycle bin icon shows something there.
    >> >I right click on the bin and it says 'delete these files?' so I know it

    >is
    >> >there.
    >> >I explore the bin and click 'restore all items'. I hear a click but it is
    >> >not restored.
    >> >I have done a search but it is not found.
    >> >
    >> >Help please? It is a file I spent hours working on!
    >> >Thankyou, Lisa

    >-----------------------
    >> See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"

    >-------------------------
    >I did that (downloaded and ran item from line 64) but the recycle bin still
    >shows full on the icon, but empty when I go into it. I right click to delete
    >and it asks if I want to delete these 12 items. It makes a 'dong' sound when
    >I press 'restore all items' but doesnt restore them.
    >Thanks for your input.
    >Lisa

    First try creating a new text file then drag it to the recycle bin. Restart
    Windows. Now see if you can restore the file.

    If no joy, try this:
    Open a DOS box and type:

    ( If your system is FAT32 )
    CD C:\RECYCLED
    attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D

    ( If your system is NTFS )
    CD C:\RECYCLER
    attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D

    Now type:

    EXIT

    Now see if you can restore the file.

    Unk, Jul 18, 2004
  10. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > First try creating a new text file then drag it to the recycle bin.

    Restart
    > Windows. Now see if you can restore the file.
    >
    > If no joy, try this:
    > Open a DOS box and type:
    >
    > ( If your system is FAT32 )
    > CD C:\RECYCLED
    > attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    >
    > ( If your system is NTFS )
    > CD C:\RECYCLER
    > attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    >
    > Now type:
    >
    > EXIT
    >
    > Now see if you can restore the file.

    ----------------
    I followed your instructions to the letter.... no joy. Even when I made a
    new text file and 'binned' it, I cannot see it in the bin to restore it.
    Typing in the above on a DOS prompt didnt help either.
    Any other ideas please? I checked the properties of the recycle bin and it
    is not set to delete as soon as it goes in there.
    Thanks, Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004
  11. Lisa Taylor

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:44:16 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> First try creating a new text file then drag it to the recycle bin.

    >Restart
    >> Windows. Now see if you can restore the file.
    >>
    >> If no joy, try this:
    >> Open a DOS box and type:
    >>
    >> ( If your system is FAT32 )
    >> CD C:\RECYCLED
    >> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    >>
    >> ( If your system is NTFS )
    >> CD C:\RECYCLER
    >> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    >>
    >> Now type:
    >>
    >> EXIT
    >>
    >> Now see if you can restore the file.

    >----------------
    >I followed your instructions to the letter.... no joy. Even when I made a
    >new text file and 'binned' it, I cannot see it in the bin to restore it.
    >Typing in the above on a DOS prompt didnt help either.
    >Any other ideas please? I checked the properties of the recycle bin and it
    >is not set to delete as soon as it goes in there.
    >Thanks, Lisa

    What file system are you using? FAT or NTFS ?
    (C:\RECYCLER is NTFS, C:\RECYCLED is FAT)

    I am surprised that you were unable to see the files after that.
    attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D removes the read-only, hidden and system attributes
    from the files.

    Do it again, (exactly - watch the spacing) then type:

    DIR

    You should see the list of files in the recycle bin!
    If yes, then type:

    move *.* c:\windows\temp
    EXIT

    That will move the files from the recycle bin to the c:\windows\temp folder.
    Go look....

    Unk, Jul 18, 2004
  12. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:44:16 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    > >> First try creating a new text file then drag it to the recycle bin.

    > >Restart
    > >> Windows. Now see if you can restore the file.
    > >>
    > >> If no joy, try this:
    > >> Open a DOS box and type:
    > >>
    > >> ( If your system is FAT32 )
    > >> CD C:\RECYCLED
    > >> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    > >>
    > >> ( If your system is NTFS )
    > >> CD C:\RECYCLER
    > >> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    > >>
    > >> Now type:
    > >>
    > >> EXIT
    > >>
    > >> Now see if you can restore the file.

    > >----------------
    > >I followed your instructions to the letter.... no joy. Even when I made a
    > >new text file and 'binned' it, I cannot see it in the bin to restore it.
    > >Typing in the above on a DOS prompt didnt help either.
    > >Any other ideas please? I checked the properties of the recycle bin and

    it
    > >is not set to delete as soon as it goes in there.
    > >Thanks, Lisa
    > >

    > What file system are you using? FAT or NTFS ?
    > (C:\RECYCLER is NTFS, C:\RECYCLED is FAT)
    >
    > I am surprised that you were unable to see the files after that.
    > attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D removes the read-only, hidden and system

    attributes
    > from the files.
    >
    > Do it again, (exactly - watch the spacing) then type:
    >
    > DIR
    >
    > You should see the list of files in the recycle bin!
    > If yes, then type:
    >
    > move *.* c:\windows\temp
    > EXIT
    >
    > That will move the files from the recycle bin to the c:\windows\temp

    folder.
    > Go look....

    --------------------
    I'm using NTFS. What I see when I do the above in DOS is;
    0 file dir<s>
    1 dir<s> 119,487,774,720 bytes free.
    So doesnt that mean it isnt in the bin? But it is definately in there....
    Thanks Unk, Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 18, 2004
  13. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    > Double click on the recycle bin to see if your file is listed there. If

    it
    > is listed and restore doesn't work try highlighting it, copying it, and
    > pasting it into another folder. If you don't see it in the recycle bin it
    > is gone and the only way to restore it would be to pay a lot of money to
    > people who do this and that would require them having the hdd. Also if it
    > is not in the recycle bin you might try one last desperate try using

    search
    > to make sure it isn't somewhere on the computer.

    Thanks Prof, it isnt shown when I go into the bin, nor does it show up on a
    search. I know it is in the bin as when I right click to delete, it asks if
    I want to delete the 12 files in there.
    Thanks anyway.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 19, 2004
  14. Lisa Taylor

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:53:57 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:44:16 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> >Restart

    >> >----------------
    >> >I followed your instructions to the letter.... no joy. Even when I made a
    >> >new text file and 'binned' it, I cannot see it in the bin to restore it.
    >> >Typing in the above on a DOS prompt didnt help either.
    >> >Any other ideas please? I checked the properties of the recycle bin and

    >it
    >> >is not set to delete as soon as it goes in there.
    >> >Thanks, Lisa
    >> >

    >> What file system are you using? FAT or NTFS ?
    >> (C:\RECYCLER is NTFS, C:\RECYCLED is FAT)
    >>
    >> I am surprised that you were unable to see the files after that.
    >> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D removes the read-only, hidden and system

    >attributes
    >> from the files.
    >>
    >> Do it again, (exactly - watch the spacing) then type:
    >>
    >> DIR
    >>
    >> You should see the list of files in the recycle bin!
    >> If yes, then type:
    >>
    >> move *.* c:\windows\temp
    >> EXIT
    >>
    >> That will move the files from the recycle bin to the c:\windows\temp

    >folder.
    >> Go look....
    >>

    >--------------------
    >I'm using NTFS. What I see when I do the above in DOS is;
    >0 file dir<s>
    >1 dir<s> 119,487,774,720 bytes free.
    >So doesnt that mean it isnt in the bin? But it is definately in there....
    >Thanks Unk, Lisa

    Yes, it's in the Bin, but details to make the file accessible are damaged.
    Since you want to recover the file, I am at a loss as to how to do so, or to
    suggest anything else that might cause the loss of the file.

    In an attempt to duplicate your problem, I setup a system with NTFS and
    deleted a 30 meg file. The Recycle Bin displays the deleted file but the
    RECYCLER folder doesn't contain the file. It appears that a deleted file is
    not physically moved to the folder as in the past with a FAT structure.

    The directory you saw in DOS is named something similar to
    "S-1-5-21-1993962763-57989841-725345543-1003" and contains
    just an ini file (to make the folder invisible) and a binary file. I
    suspect that the binary file is just pointers to where the deleted file
    actually resides on the hard drive.

    Hopefully, someone more familiar with NTFS will jump in and provide an
    answer.

    Unk, Jul 19, 2004
  15. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > >--------------------
    > >I'm using NTFS. What I see when I do the above in DOS is;
    > >0 file dir<s>
    > >1 dir<s> 119,487,774,720 bytes free.
    > >So doesnt that mean it isnt in the bin? But it is definately in there....
    > >Thanks Unk, Lisa
    > >

    > Yes, it's in the Bin, but details to make the file accessible are damaged.
    > Since you want to recover the file, I am at a loss as to how to do so, or

    > suggest anything else that might cause the loss of the file.
    >
    > In an attempt to duplicate your problem, I setup a system with NTFS and
    > deleted a 30 meg file. The Recycle Bin displays the deleted file but the
    > RECYCLER folder doesn't contain the file. It appears that a deleted file

    is
    > not physically moved to the folder as in the past with a FAT structure.
    >
    > The directory you saw in DOS is named something similar to
    > "S-1-5-21-1993962763-57989841-725345543-1003" and contains
    > just an ini file (to make the folder invisible) and a binary file. I
    > suspect that the binary file is just pointers to where the deleted file
    > actually resides on the hard drive.
    >
    > Hopefully, someone more familiar with NTFS will jump in and provide an
    > answer.

    -----------------
    Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate the time you have spent
    trying to help me.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 19, 2004
  16. Lisa Taylor

    Me Guest

    Lisa Taylor wrote:

    > I know it is in the bin as when I right click to
    > delete, it asks if I want to delete the 12 files in there.

    That doesn't mean it's in the bin. It just means 12 files are
    in there -- and your file may not be one of them.

    Me, Jul 19, 2004
  17. Lisa Taylor

    Chris Guest

    Could be worth trying a low level data recovery tool.

    Chris, Jul 19, 2004
  18. Lisa Taylor

    JoeA Guest

    Lisa Taylor wrote:

    > "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What file?
    >>

    > It is a wmv file, nothing that the system depends on. I tried downloading
    > free file restorers, but they will only recover limited sized things. The
    > thing that is in the bin is 400megs. Fortunately, the settings allow files
    > of that length to be put in there and not be immediately deleted.
    > Lisa

    You dont name the free software you tried.
    PC Inspector File Recovery
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

    and
    Restoration were both mentioned in the new PC World Magazine.

    JoeA, Jul 19, 2004
  19. Lisa Taylor

    Lisa Taylor Guest

    "JoeA" <> wrote in message
    > Lisa Taylor wrote:
    > > "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > > It is a wmv file, nothing that the system depends on. I tried

    downloading
    > > free file restorers, but they will only recover limited sized things.

    The
    > > thing that is in the bin is 400megs. Fortunately, the settings allow

    files
    > > of that length to be put in there and not be immediately deleted.
    > > Lisa
    > >

    > You dont name the free software you tried.
    > PC Inspector File Recovery
    > > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

    > and
    > Restoration were both mentioned in the new PC World Magazine.
    > > http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1672

    Thankyou for both those links, I downloaded and ran them both but although
    it found everything else in the recycle bin, it didn't find my wmv file.
    So, one large glass of wine later, I emptied the bin and have given up on
    the idea of recovering my accidentally deleted file.
    Thanks all for your help, but I admit defeat.
    Lisa

    Lisa Taylor, Jul 20, 2004