Deleted files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Westie wrote:

    > Is it true that deleting files only removes them from Windows, and not
    > from the PC ?
    > If so, is it possible to view these deleted files ?
    >
    > Thanx.......

    deleted files are still there...
    they are merely listed as "free space" and will eventually be written
    over.
    there are a number of 3rd party undelete utilities avail (such as norton
    )

    Westie, Aug 29, 2004

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    29 Aug 2004 19:57:52 +0100, "Westie" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Is it true that deleting files only removes them from Windows, and not
    >from the PC ?

    Yes, when you delete the file, it is still recoverable from the hard
    drive. That is, until it is overwritten by new data. Sometimes even
    then you can partially recover it.

    >If so, is it possible to view these deleted files ?

    If you're using a recovery program, yes. If the PC in question is
    running Norton Utilities, it has a file recovery program built into
    it. There are, of course, other programs out there that can do the
    same thing. Check using Google or some other search engine for one of
    these programs. I imagine you could get one for free. BTW, who's been
    downloading the kiddie pr0n? Your hubby?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 29, 2004
  4. philo

    Adam Guest

    tried to send you an email with an undelete utility but you email address
    doesn't seem to be legit....

    Adam, Aug 29, 2004
  5. philo

    ROB LLOYD Guest

    Hi i use a program called Tune Up Utilities,on is File recovery and
    Distruction,which basically does as it says any thing thats accidently
    deleted from the recycle bin can be recovered,the Distruction part of it
    shreeds anything you want deleted and is unrecoverable. Rob

    ROB LLOYD, Aug 30, 2004
  6. philo

    Westie Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message

    > tried to send you an email with an undelete utility but you email

    address
    > doesn't seem to be legit....

    Replied by post & e-mail. Thanx.

    Westie, Aug 30, 2004
  7. philo

    Westie Guest

    "ROB LLOYD" <> wrote in message

    > Hi i use a program called Tune Up Utilities,on is File recovery and
    > Distruction,which basically does as it says any thing thats accidently
    > deleted from the recycle bin can be recovered,the Distruction part of

    it
    > shreeds anything you want deleted and is unrecoverable. Rob

    Thank you.

    Westie, Aug 30, 2004
  8. philo

    Gilpy Guest

    You can wirte over that same piece of data about 7 times before it is
    really deleted for good. Try "recover my files" but you need a crack to
    save what you recover. And I would never know where to get that....

    Gilpy, Aug 30, 2004