Deleted Files in Root C: ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mhicaoidh, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    I've now had this problem twice on two different computers (both
    running XP Pro). The first time was several months (to more than a
    year) ago, and I wrote it off as a fluke. But, today it happened again!
    Computer was running fine save for a network issue with my router, but I
    decided to reboot simply because it had been running for several days.
    Upon reboot, I received the following message:

    NTLDR missing ... blah blah ...

    What happens is, all individual files in the root C: get deleted.
    Folders are untouched, and subfolders and files within those folders are
    untouched. It is just the files that are in the root of C: ... NTLDR,
    NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI, etc ... and not just Windows system files ...
    *.log, *.xml, etc are all deleted too.

    The first time this happened, I actually noticed they were gone
    while I was using the system. I stupidly rebooted to see what would
    happen, and quickly found out. Now, though, I do daily backups, and was
    able to pull the files from last night's backup.

    But, I would love to know what the cause of this particular issue
    is. There doesn't seem to be a virus or trojan that behaves in this
    manner, so I don't think it is that (plus AV scans are negative); and,
    it is not something that happens at bootup ... it happens while Windows
    is running.

    Anyone have any ideas? TIA!

    mhicaoidh, Sep 22, 2006

  2. mhicaoidh

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:01:38 +0000, mhicaoidh Has Frothed:

    > I've now had this problem twice on two different computers (both
    > running XP Pro). The first time was several months (to more than a year)
    > ago, and I wrote it off as a fluke. But, today it happened again!
    > Computer was running fine save for a network issue with my router, but I
    > decided to reboot simply because it had been running for several days.
    > Upon reboot, I received the following message:
    >
    > NTLDR missing ... blah blah ...
    >
    > What happens is, all individual files in the root C: get deleted.
    > Folders are untouched, and subfolders and files within those folders are
    > untouched. It is just the files that are in the root of C: ... NTLDR,
    > NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI, etc ... and not just Windows system files ...
    > *.log, *.xml, etc are all deleted too.
    >
    > The first time this happened, I actually noticed they were gone
    > while I was using the system. I stupidly rebooted to see what would
    > happen, and quickly found out. Now, though, I do daily backups, and was
    > able to pull the files from last night's backup.
    >
    > But, I would love to know what the cause of this particular issue
    > is. There doesn't seem to be a virus or trojan that behaves in this
    > manner, so I don't think it is that (plus AV scans are negative); and, it
    > is not something that happens at bootup ... it happens while Windows is
    > running.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? TIA!

    Either a malicious process or person is deleting them.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Sep 22, 2006

  3. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Meat Plow mused:

    | Either a malicious process or person is deleting them.

    Honestly, I don't think it's either. I know it is not a person
    deleting them because I am the only one that uses the computer. AV,
    Ad-Aware, and Spybot are all up-to-date and find nothing. Also, if it
    were a malicious process, I would expect it to happen *much* more
    frequently. But, like I said, I saw it once on my old system, and just
    now (after 3 years) on this system. Once I replaced the files,
    everything was fine again.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 23, 2006