Deleted emails just keep comming back

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by M, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. M

    M Guest

    Hi all,

    Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Exchange 2000 SP3. Each time the server is
    rebooted, deleted emails for each user come back. Different for each user,
    and can be since the last time it was rebooted, a random amount, say 5 for
    one user, 400 for another. All with random 'received' times, and are a mix
    of internal and external mail.

    Any obvious reason for this?? Clients are either Exchange Clients or POP,
    and it does it for both.

    When server is rebooted it takes literally hours to fully load - its
    processing all those deleted emails from somewhere. Store.exe sits at 100%
    Utilization for some hours, hard drives go crazy.

    Its done this on Exchange 2000 SP2 + Win2k Server SP3. (Does SP4 still have
    issues with Exchange 2000?)

    I just got no idea where its storing them. I asume in the main database
    which doesnt look unsually big. It seems when a user deletes them, and
    empties out that deleted item box it doesnt always happen. On the client end
    its gone, reboot, and their back in your inbox 'unread'

    Most annoying

    Matt.
    M, Dec 1, 2003

  2. M

    Simon Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Exchange 2000 SP3. Each time the server is
    > rebooted, deleted emails for each user come back. Different for each user,
    > and can be since the last time it was rebooted, a random amount, say 5 for
    > one user, 400 for another. All with random 'received' times, and are a mix
    > of internal and external mail.
    >
    > Any obvious reason for this?? Clients are either Exchange Clients or POP,
    > and it does it for both.
    >
    > When server is rebooted it takes literally hours to fully load - its
    > processing all those deleted emails from somewhere. Store.exe sits at 100%
    > Utilization for some hours, hard drives go crazy.
    >
    > Its done this on Exchange 2000 SP2 + Win2k Server SP3. (Does SP4 still

    have
    > issues with Exchange 2000?)
    >
    > I just got no idea where its storing them. I asume in the main database
    > which doesnt look unsually big. It seems when a user deletes them, and
    > empties out that deleted item box it doesnt always happen. On the client

    end
    > its gone, reboot, and their back in your inbox 'unread'
    >
    > Most annoying
    >
    > Matt.

    Matt,

    Check that the messages aren't stuck in the inbound SMTP folder.

    We had a similar issue where some inbound SMTP wasn't been deleted after
    been received, everytime the server rebooted it would process all the files
    in the queue and they would reappear in peoples inboxs.

    I think it turned out to be one message that was causing the problem, I got
    round it by shutting down the exchange services and deleting all the inbound
    SMTP from the queue, that was about 3 months ago and we haven't had the
    problem since.

    I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now without
    incident.

    Simon
    www.Really-Cheap-International-Calls.co.uk
    Simon, Dec 1, 2003

  3. M

    Simon Guest

    "Simon" <> wrote in message

    > I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now

    without
    > incident.

    Ok, I mean't running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS SP4 for just over a month now

    Simon, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Thanks Simon, ill look into that, hopefully this problem is just as simple.
    Ive got the server up and running again, tho I know next time I reboot it
    will do this again, ill stop the services and check the inbound SMTP folder,
    see what I come up with.

    Inncodently, I checked the external mail going OUT of exchange (mail going
    out of the domain to another) and it also does this when its re-booted. So
    not only people within the domain get old email, so do out customers!

    Thanks

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Well I didnt find any items stuck in inbound SMTP folders, but I have
    installed the SP3 roll-up package, rebooted and no old emails returned. Im
    going to do another reboot test to see if it fixed it in a few days.
    Store.exe is behaving now too, not getting too big on memory usage.

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Dec 4, 2003