    are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an earlier date bring
    them back

    Thanks for any help in advance
    Super Duper MMI, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Super Duper MMI

    philo Guest

    Super Duper MMI wrote:
    > Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this happened
    > but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been deleted -
    > everything in every folder! I'm the only person who uses the PC so I dont
    > know where they have gone, and I def would not have deleted them or moved
    > them somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can retrieve these? I have
    > Norton AV, one button etc, so am scanning the C Drive to recover anything
    > remotely like an email with that prog, but it doesn't look hopeful. Is there
    > are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an earlier date bring
    > them back
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance

    do a search for *.dbx
    philo, Apr 14, 2006

  3. Super Duper MMI

    Mike Easter Guest

    Super Duper MMI wrote:
    > Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this
    > happened but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been
    > deleted - everything in every folder!

    More likely there is a corrupt .dbx file.
    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone Messages in Inbox
    or other mail folders disappear

    .... or you have had 'interference' from McAfee's AV described on that
    page above -- but I see Norton below.

    That link above suggests a difference of appearance [Welcome to OE]
    caused by the creation of a new Inbox when the old has become
    corrupted -- ie . Inbox(1).dbx

    > I'm the only person who uses
    > the PC so I dont know where they have gone, and I def would not have
    > deleted them or moved them somewhere else.

    > Does anyone know how I can
    > retrieve these?

    Deleted files aren't actually deleted from the .dbx until the .dbx is
    compacted, either manually or automatically.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Am trying to do this

    1.On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.2.In the Select
    an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or
    Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.3.Click Import mail from an
    OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then
    click OK.4.Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder on your
    desktop.5.Click OK, and then click Next.6.Click All folders, click Next, and
    then click Finish.

    but it wont let me whilst having Outlook Express opened?? Any other way does
    anyone know. Thanks Mike btw
    Super Duper MMI, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Super Duper MMI

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Super Duper MMI" <> wrote in message
    > Using Outlook Express 6, Win xp home. I really don't know how this
    > happened but just opened my OE and the whole of my emails have been
    > deleted - everything in every folder! I'm the only person who uses the PC
    > so I dont know where they have gone, and I def would not have deleted them
    > or moved them somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can retrieve these? I
    > have Norton AV, one button etc, so am scanning the C Drive to recover
    > anything remotely like an email with that prog, but it doesn't look
    > hopeful. Is there are back up somewhere? would restoring the system to an
    > earlier date bring them back
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance

    Close OE then reopen - more often than not the messages reappear.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Have copied the back up folder to the desktop and it has imported a lot of
    stuff, but not from my KEEPS folder which, of course has all the important
    stuff in it :-(
    Super Duper MMI, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Super Duper MMI

    Mike Easter Guest

    Super Duper MMI wrote:
    > Have copied the back up folder to the desktop and it has imported a
    > lot of stuff, but not from my KEEPS folder which, of course has all
    > the important stuff in it :-(

    You can 'attack' the keeps.dbx file in the original store folder with
    tools like dbxtract http://www.oehelp.com/dbxtract/default.aspx
    DBXtract extracts all mail and news messages from individual dbx files

    or dbxpress http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx DBXpress is a
    faster, more accurate, and more powerful version of DBXtract

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Super Duper MMI

    JANA Guest

    The inbox OE file may have been damaged, and a new one was created. An older
    version of McAfee has been known to do this. An upgrade from McAfee will fix
    this.

    Are you aware that it is possible to backup your emails, by exporting them
    to another folder, or media? You can then import them back at a later date,
    if there was any losses to them.

    Technically, it is recommended that you keep an image backup of your
    complete system, so that you have a means of a full and quick recovery for
    anything that is lost. The most cost effective way, is to have a second hard
    drive, either internal or external for that purpose. There are some very
    good imaging programs out there for this purpose.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 14, 2006