    of junk and id very slow to fire up. Can someone explain the procedure?
    Thanks,
    John, South Australia

    John Black, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Are you wanting to save any of your data? Do you have all of your
    device drivers already? Do you have copies of all the software you will
    want to reinstall?

    If you seriously dont have any idea of how to do this, I would recomend
    finding someone to help you.

    Gold Key Technology Solutions, Aug 8, 2005

  3. John Black

    Fakename Guest

    Agreed. Here are somethings you, or whoever, should think about doing
    BEFORE rebuilding the machine.

    1: Download drivers for the following hardware:
    -your video card
    -your sound card
    -your chipset
    -any expansion cards
    -your monitor's inf files (sometimes necessary)
    -YOUR NETWORK CARD! (very important)
    -you dialup modem, if you use one

    And be sure to put these files on a CD, portable hard drive, thumbdrive,
    or other external storage device as they aren't going to help you if you
    leave them on the HD and them format it.

    2a: Make a new boot floppy (cntrl panel, addremove programs, "startup
    disk" tab) as the one you've had sitting in your desk for the last 5
    years is probably corrupt.

    2b: Copy all the files on your installation CD to your hard drive and
    then delete them off your hard drive. Why do this?: to make sure the
    disk is still in good shape and all the files are still readable. You
    don't want to find out half way through and install that they are not.

    3: make sure you have your CD keys. Not sure what it is? Check out
    this tool: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

    4: Backup all the files you want to keep. When you think you're done do
    a search for some common file types (.doc, .xls, .jpg, .jpeg, etc...)
    and see if anything you forgot pops up.

    5: Backup you internet favorites and shortcuts. In IE you can export
    both from the "file" menu. You can import them back from the same menu
    after your reinstall.

    6a: Backup your email. In OE you can drag and drop them to a folder, or
    your desktop, etc... It's the easiste way for the averrage user to make
    a backup of them. The other alternatie is to backup the .mbx files and
    use a 3rd party tool to open them later... If you're using a different
    client you might be able to export them to some sort of file...

    6b: Backup your address book.

    Then format your HD, then reinstall windows, then install any drivers
    not provided by your windows disk, then do the windowsupdate thing, then
    reinstall your software, then restore your favorits and email and files,
    then send me a cheque for writing this guide for you... :)

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005