    Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook Express
    ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted. Thanks in
    advance

    Berry West, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Berry West

    Old Gringo Guest

    Berry West wrote:
    > Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook Express
    > ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted. Thanks in
    > advance

    you can right click the task bar and choose customize and remove the
    delete X. good luck.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Berry West

    Gordon Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > Berry West wrote:
    >> Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook
    >> Express ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted.
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>

    > you can right click the task bar and choose customize and remove the
    > delete X. good luck.

    Hmmm. Doesn't stop anyone putting it back.....;-)

    Gordon, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Berry West

    Old Gringo Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >>Berry West wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook
    >>>Express ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted.
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>

    >>you can right click the task bar and choose customize and remove the
    >>delete X. good luck.

    > Hmmm. Doesn't stop anyone putting it back.....;-)

    Hmmm. A right click on the msg. header will also give you this
    feature. guess he is SOL :) maybe he could rewrite the program?

    Old Gringo, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Old Gringo wrote:

    >>>you can right click the task bar and choose customize and remove the
    >>>delete X. good luck.

    >> Hmmm. Doesn't stop anyone putting it back.....;-)
    >>

    > Hmmm. A right click on the msg. header will also give you this
    > feature. guess he is SOL :) maybe he could rewrite the program?

    Or password protect the account. Sounds to me like "Berry West" isn't the
    one deleting the emails. Nobody is dumb enough to "accidently" press the
    delete key so often that it becomes an issue. Or at least, I would hope
    not.:)

    To the OP - You *are* aware that deleted items get moved to the "Deleted
    Items" folder, right? They should still be available unless you've changed
    your settings, or emptied that folder.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Berry West

    Old Gringo Guest

    Thom wrote:
    > Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >

    >>Gordon wrote:

    >>>Hmmm. Doesn't stop anyone putting it back.....;-)
    >>>

    >>Hmmm. A right click on the msg. header will also give you this
    >>feature. guess he is SOL :) maybe he could rewrite the program?

    > Or password protect the account. Sounds to me like "Berry West" isn't the
    > one deleting the emails. Nobody is dumb enough to "accidently" press the
    > delete key so often that it becomes an issue. Or at least, I would hope
    > not.:)
    >
    > To the OP - You *are* aware that deleted items get moved to the "Deleted
    > Items" folder, right? They should still be available unless you've changed
    > your settings, or emptied that folder.
    >
    > Thom

    When it gets to the point where you can not trust the person/persons
    you share your email account with it's time to give up. :)

    Old Gringo, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Berry West

    trout Guest

    Berry West wrote:

    > Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook
    > Express ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted.
    > Thanks in advance

    Nothing really practical, for any purpose I can imagine. But that's
    the whole point. It's often better to give a brief description of the
    situation, and what you're actually trying to accomplish. I mean, a
    solution is going to be a lot different if your rotten kid is deleting
    your mail, or if you want to prove the Missus has a gentlemen friend
    from a 'married-but-looking' chat room. Etc.
    --
    "This newsgroup has seen it all."

    TINTN

    trout, Nov 14, 2004
  8. trout wrote:

    > Berry West wrote:

    >> Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook
    >> Express ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted.
    >> Thanks in advance

    > Nothing really practical, for any purpose I can imagine. But that's
    > the whole point. It's often better to give a brief description of the
    > situation, and what you're actually trying to accomplish. I mean, a
    > solution is going to be a lot different if your rotten kid is deleting
    > your mail, or if you want to prove the Missus has a gentlemen friend
    > from a 'married-but-looking' chat room. Etc.

    Can't you do separate (passworded) users in OE and/or modern Windows
    Versions? Not that I know if OP's using a modern Windows version --
    he's keeping that a secret, either because he doesn't know what release
    he has or thinks mentioning it would be a breach of national security.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Berry West

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >
    >> Berry West wrote:

    >>> Is there any way to lock or disable the delete function in Outlook
    >>> Express ?? I need the ability to stop any emails from being deleted.
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >> Nothing really practical, for any purpose I can imagine. But that's
    >> the whole point. It's often better to give a brief description of the
    >> situation, and what you're actually trying to accomplish. I mean, a
    >> solution is going to be a lot different if your rotten kid is
    >> deleting your mail, or if you want to prove the Missus has a
    >> gentlemen friend from a 'married-but-looking' chat room. Etc.

    > Can't you do separate (passworded) users in OE and/or modern Windows
    > Versions? Not that I know if OP's using a modern Windows version --
    > he's keeping that a secret, either because he doesn't know what
    > release he has or thinks mentioning it would be a breach of national
    > security.

    Yes, indeed. But again.... he might be wanting to keep someone from
    deleting their *own* emails (*was* the 14-yr-old daughter invited to
    meet her new biker boyfriend at the mall?) Speculation is kind of
    pointless.
    --
    "Fun, maybe. But pointless."

    trout, Nov 14, 2004
  10. Berry West

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | Blinky the Shark wrote:
    |
    | > trout wrote:

    | >> Nothing really practical, for any purpose I can imagine. But that's
    | >> the whole point. It's often better to give a brief description of the
    | >> situation, and what you're actually trying to accomplish. I mean, a
    | >> solution is going to be a lot different if your rotten kid is
    | >> deleting your mail, or if you want to prove the Missus has a
    | >> gentlemen friend from a 'married-but-looking' chat room. Etc.
    | >
    | > Can't you do separate (passworded) users in OE and/or modern Windows
    | > Versions? Not that I know if OP's using a modern Windows version --
    | > he's keeping that a secret, either because he doesn't know what
    | > release he has or thinks mentioning it would be a breach of national
    | > security.
    |
    | Yes, indeed. But again.... he might be wanting to keep someone from
    | deleting their *own* emails (*was* the 14-yr-old daughter invited to
    | meet her new biker boyfriend at the mall?) Speculation is kind of
    | pointless.

    (Ssshhhhh....you weren't supposed to tell)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004
  11. trout wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> trout wrote:

    >>> Nothing really practical, for any purpose I can imagine. But that's
    >>> the whole point. It's often better to give a brief description of the
    >>> situation, and what you're actually trying to accomplish. I mean, a
    >>> solution is going to be a lot different if your rotten kid is
    >>> deleting your mail, or if you want to prove the Missus has a
    >>> gentlemen friend from a 'married-but-looking' chat room. Etc.

    >> Can't you do separate (passworded) users in OE and/or modern Windows
    >> Versions? Not that I know if OP's using a modern Windows version --
    >> he's keeping that a secret, either because he doesn't know what
    >> release he has or thinks mentioning it would be a breach of national
    >> security.

    > Yes, indeed. But again.... he might be wanting to keep someone from
    > deleting their *own* emails (*was* the 14-yr-old daughter invited to
    > meet her new biker boyfriend at the mall?) Speculation is kind of
    > pointless.

    Ah! Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  12. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    Agreed.

    >>> Can't you do separate (passworded) users in OE and/or modern Windows
    >>> Versions?

    Yes.

    >>> Not that I know if OP's using a modern Windows version --
    >>> he's keeping that a secret, either because he doesn't know what
    >>> release he has or thinks mentioning it would be a breach of national
    >>> security.

    Not much of a secret, really. It's right there in the OP's headers;

    "Berry West" is using XP-SP2

    >> But again.... he might be wanting to keep someone
    >> from deleting their *own* emails (*was* the 14-yr-old daughter
    >> invited to meet her new biker boyfriend at the mall?) Speculation is
    >> kind of pointless.

    > Ah! Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

    Good point, indeed. I didn't think of that 'angle' either. However what I
    *can* think of, is somebody who's computer time would be suspended until I
    got to the bottom of it, were it to happen in *my* home. :)

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  13. Thom wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> trout wrote:

    > Agreed.

    > Yes.

    > Not much of a secret, really. It's right there in the OP's headers;

    It is?

    I know he's using OE. I was clearly talking about his OS.

    > "Berry West" is using XP-SP2

    How is that knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  14. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Thom wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> Agreed.

    >> Yes.

    >> Not much of a secret, really. It's right there in the OP's headers;

    > It is?

    > I know he's using OE. I was clearly talking about his OS.
    >
    >> "Berry West" is using XP-SP2

    > How is that knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    By the version of IE/OE being used.

    6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    Sources? Sure. It's the same as mine, and agrees with this;

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q164539/

    (third from the bottom)

    [6.00.2900.2180 Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP SP2]

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  15. Thom wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> Thom wrote:

    >>> Agreed.

    >>> Yes.

    >>> Not much of a secret, really. It's right there in the OP's headers;

    >> It is?

    >> I know he's using OE. I was clearly talking about his OS.

    >>> "Berry West" is using XP-SP2

    >> How is that knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    > By the version of IE/OE being used.

    > 6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    Ah. I didn't know there was a sekrit OE code.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  16. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Thom wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> It is?

    >>> I know he's using OE. I was clearly talking about his OS.

    >>> How is that knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    >> By the version of IE/OE being used.

    >> 6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    > Ah. I didn't know there was a sekrit OE code.

    In other words .... As much as you hate to admit it? You *learned*
    something.

    You're welcome.

    :)

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  17. Thom wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> Thom wrote:

    >>> By the version of IE/OE being used.

    >>> 6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    >> Ah. I didn't know there was a sekrit OE code.

    > In other words .... As much as you hate to admit it? You *learned*
    > something.

    I don't hate to admit it.

    Do you hate to admit that it makes the most sense to simply state
    relevant information (OS, application version, etc.) about one's
    question/issue, as part of posting the request?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  18. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Thom wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> Ah. I didn't know there was a sekrit OE code.

    >> In other words .... As much as you hate to admit it? You *learned*
    >> something.

    > I don't hate to admit it.

    Then why do you always insist on having the "last word"?

    I've hung around here LONG before I ever posted, so I sorta have a sense of
    who's who, and what's what.

    > Do you hate to admit that it makes the most sense to simply state
    > relevant information (OS, application version, etc.) about one's
    > question/issue, as part of posting the request?

    Of course not. But I'll readily admit that I *do* hate it, when people snip
    (without indication that they've done so) links related to proof of the
    information I've supplied.

    In fact? Let me put it back ...
    -----------

    And I said:

    By the version of IE/OE being used.

    6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    Sources? Sure. It's the same as mine, and agrees with this;

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q164539/
    ------------

    ANy more questions?

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  19. Thom wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >> Thom wrote:

    >>> In other words .... As much as you hate to admit it? You *learned*
    >>> something.

    >> I don't hate to admit it.

    > Then why do you always insist on having the "last word"?

    When I post, it's for "the last word". When you post,
    it's...it's...because you're a giving person. I get it.

    > I've hung around here LONG before I ever posted, so I sorta have a sense of
    > who's who, and what's what.

    >> Do you hate to admit that it makes the most sense to simply state
    >> relevant information (OS, application version, etc.) about one's
    >> question/issue, as part of posting the request?

    > Of course not. But I'll readily admit that I *do* hate it, when people snip
    > (without indication that they've done so) links related to proof of the
    > information I've supplied.

    Since I didn't question your information; the cite was irrelevant.

    > In fact? Let me put it back ...
    > -----------

    I didn't question your information; the link is still not necessary.

    >> You said:
    >> How is that [the OP's OS] knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    > And I said:

    > By the version of IE/OE being used.

    > 6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    > Sources? Sure. It's the same as mine, and agrees with this;

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q164539/
    > ------------

    Yeah, I snipped that. Wasn't relevant to the idea of GIVING INFORMATION IF
    ONE WANTS HELP.

    > ANy more questions?

    **** no -- you'd just accuse me of wanting "the last word" (even though
    you asked (which would normally be taken as an invitation to reply).

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  20. Berry West

    Thom Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Thom wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >>> I don't hate to admit it.

    >> Then why do you always insist on having the "last word"?

    > When I post, it's for "the last word". When you post,
    > it's...it's...because you're a giving person. I get it.

    LOL! Now THAT's fuuny! Yeah. I'm the, "giver of all givers". :)

    >> I've hung around here LONG before I ever posted, so I sorta have a
    >> sense of who's who, and what's what.

    >>> Do you hate to admit that it makes the most sense to simply state
    >>> relevant information (OS, application version, etc.) about one's
    >>> question/issue, as part of posting the request?

    >> Of course not. But I'll readily admit that I *do* hate it, when
    >> people snip (without indication that they've done so) links related
    >> to proof of the information I've supplied.

    > Since I didn't question your information; the cite was irrelevant.

    The unindicated <snip> *was* relevant. *That's* what I was speaking of.

    >> In fact? Let me put it back ...
    >> -----------

    > I didn't question your information; the link is still not necessary.
    >
    >>> You said:
    >>> How is that [the OP's OS] knowable from his headers, as you claim?

    >> And I said:

    >> By the version of IE/OE being used.

    >> 6.00.2900.2180 = XP-SP2

    >> Sources? Sure. It's the same as mine, and agrees with this;

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q164539/
    >> ------------

    > Yeah, I snipped that.

    Then indicate when you've done so in the future. It's not much to ask.

    > Wasn't relevant to the idea of GIVING
    > INFORMATION IF ONE WANTS HELP.

    OK. Now I'm with "Tina" from "Affordable Hosting". I'm beating my head
    against a wall in this group.

    >> ANy more questions?

    > **** no -- you'd just accuse me of wanting "the last word" (even
    > though you asked (which would normally be taken as an invitation to
    > reply).

    Please indicate where I "asked" you anything you hadn't already answered,
    above.

    Thanks,

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004