    Richard Guest

    In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a new
    (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    Richard, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Richard

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    (On 12/1/2004 6:18 PM) Richard wrote:
    > In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a new
    > (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile folder.
    Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    and save.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    :: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in

    > (On 12/1/2004 6:18 PM) Richard wrote:
    >> In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a new
    >> (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    > Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile folder.
    > Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    > and save.

    My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment. I can't
    find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent modification
    date.

    Richard, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard <richard@mail+news.net> wrote in

    >:: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in
    >
    >> (On 12/1/2004 6:18 PM) Richard wrote:
    >>> In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a
    >>> new (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    >> Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile
    >> folder.
    >> Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    >> and save.
    >>

    > My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment. I
    > can't find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent
    > modification date.

    After closing and opening Firefox several times, the invalid Preference
    Name entry has disappeared.

    But now I'm puzzling over where the preference values I've set are saved. I
    changed a (valid) preference value today in about:config, but I can't find
    any Firefox file with a recent modification date. Running on Win98se.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Richard wrote:
    > Richard <richard@mail+news.net> wrote in
    >

    >>:: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in

    >>>Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile
    >>>folder.
    >>> Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    >>>and save.
    >>>

    >>My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment. I
    >>can't find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent
    >>modification date.
    >>

    > After closing and opening Firefox several times, the invalid Preference
    > Name entry has disappeared.
    >
    > But now I'm puzzling over where the preference values I've set are saved. I
    > changed a (valid) preference value today in about:config, but I can't find
    > any Firefox file with a recent modification date. Running on Win98se.

    They should be saved in prefs.js, in your profile folder.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 1 Dec 2004 23:51:35 GMT, in message
    <Xns95B2A1669E24Erichardmailnews@130.133.1.4>, Richard wrote:

    > :: BRIAN :: <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in
    >
    > > (On 12/1/2004 6:18 PM) Richard wrote:
    > >> In trying to change a preference setting, I inadvertently created a new
    > >> (invalid) Preference Name. How do I delete it?

    > > Close Firefox. Backup the prefs.js file located in your profile folder.
    > > Open the original prefs.js in a text editor. Remove erroneous key,
    > > and save.
    > >

    > My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment.

    Then you are looking at the wrong prefs.js file.

    My guess is that you are looking at
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\prefs.js".

    > I can't
    > find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent modification
    > date.

    Do not look in your Firefox _installation_ directory (e.g.
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox") or its subdirectories.

    To locate your Firefox _profile_ directory, see
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Ralph Fox <-echo.invalid> wrote in

    >> My prefs.js file is empty except for a header description comment.

    > Then you are looking at the wrong prefs.js file.
    >
    > My guess is that you are looking at
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\prefs.js".
    >

    >> I can't
    >> find any *.js file in the Firefox subdirectories with a recent
    >> modification date.

    > Do not look in your Firefox _installation_ directory (e.g.
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox") or its subdirectories.
    >
    > To locate your Firefox _profile_ directory, see
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    That's it -- thank you.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 2 Dec 2004 15:33:10 GMT, in message
    <Xns95B34CE16910Crichardmamailandnews@130.133.1.4>, Richard wrote:

    > That's it -- thank you.

    You're welcome.

    Ralph Fox, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Richard

    megabyte24

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Actually, in my case... After reading this thread, null'd out the value of my invalid preference name (i.e., Made it = "") and exited Firefox (v3.5.7). Then, went looking for prefs.js, opened it only to find there was no erroneous preference key in it... Restarted Firefox and it wasn't in about:config either!

    Guess Firefox either deleted it because it was a null value, or it recognized it as an invalid preference name...

    megabyte24, Apr 7, 2010