Delegation of Reverse Zones

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 22, 2006.

  1. Hi.
    I am trying to figure out Delegations of reverse lookup zones. I think that
    I got delegations of forward lookup zones right. Correct me if I am wrong:
    If you need to delegate a zone, you will setup a zone (to be delegated) on
    Server2, and you will setup delegation on Server1. That will add NS record of
    Server2 as server authoritative for the new (delegated) zone to Server1, and
    it will create an A (glue) record that will be used to resolve Server2's IP
    at Server1.
    So Server1 will direct all requests for resolution of hosts located in the
    new zone to Server2, where the actual resolution will take place.
    Assuming this is correct.
    I cant figure out how delegation of reverse zones works.
    The book (MS Press) says: "...to configure a DNS server named ns.contoso.com
    to delegate to another server named ns1.contoso.com reverse lookups of the
    address space 192.168.1.0/24, you would configure a zone named
    0.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa on ns.contoso.com and add an NS record to perform
    the delegation. The NS record would adopt the following format: 0/24 NS
    ns1.contoso.com...."

    Now in this scenario. Where does the actual resolution happen? Seems that
    resolution happens on ns1.contoso.com. But I never created/configured any
    zones on ns1.contoso.com. How can it resolve anything?

    And if resolution happens on ns.contoso.com, how will the ns1.contoso.com
    know to direct queries to be resolved on ns.contoso.com if I never created
    any records on ns1.contoso.com like "NS" or "A" records.

    Asking for help. Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 22, 2006

  2. "Sergey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > I am trying to figure out Delegations of reverse lookup zones. I think
    > that
    > I got delegations of forward lookup zones right. Correct me if I am wrong:
    > If you need to delegate a zone, you will setup a zone (to be delegated) on
    > Server2, and you will setup delegation on Server1. That will add NS record
    > of
    > Server2 as server authoritative for the new (delegated) zone to Server1,
    > and
    > it will create an A (glue) record that will be used to resolve Server2's
    > IP
    > at Server1.
    > So Server1 will direct all requests for resolution of hosts located in the
    > new zone to Server2, where the actual resolution will take place.
    > Assuming this is correct.
    > I cant figure out how delegation of reverse zones works.
    > The book (MS Press) says: "...to configure a DNS server named
    > ns.contoso.com
    > to delegate to another server named ns1.contoso.com reverse lookups of the
    > address space 192.168.1.0/24, you would configure a zone named
    > 0.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa on ns.contoso.com and add an NS record to perform
    > the delegation. The NS record would adopt the following format: 0/24 NS
    > ns1.contoso.com...."
    >
    > Now in this scenario. Where does the actual resolution happen? Seems that
    > resolution happens on ns1.contoso.com. But I never created/configured any
    > zones on ns1.contoso.com. How can it resolve anything?
    >
    > And if resolution happens on ns.contoso.com, how will the ns1.contoso.com
    > know to direct queries to be resolved on ns.contoso.com if I never created
    > any records on ns1.contoso.com like "NS" or "A" records.
    >
    > Asking for help. Thanks in advance.

    Try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174419/ . If you're still not too sure,
    do a search on Google with the following parameters: " Delegation of Reverse
    Zones server 2003 site:microsoft.com " (do *not* type the quotes)

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCP Win95
    MCNGP Silver

    Wayne McGlinn, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Thanks for your reply. That article is pretty self explainatory. I think that
    I am starting to get it.
    In the meantime I am now unsure of my understanding of forward delegations:
    Is it right that:
    1) In delegations "Parent" is the server on which delegation is created, and
    "Child" is the server which holds the zone and performs resolution?
    So if I had delegated a part of a namespace to server2(child), I would setup
    delegation on server1(parent), and that delegation would only have (NS) and
    (A) records to point to server2?
    2) Parent does not direct queries from DNS clients to the Child,(to be
    resolved by the child), but instead, provides clients with refferals for
    iteration?

    Anybody?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=, Oct 24, 2006