Delayed Write Failed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by BroncoAvsFan, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. BroncoAvsFan

    BroncoAvsFan Guest

    I am runing Windows XP Prof Ver. 2002. Yesterday I downloaded SP 3. First
    off, I know little about computers. I recently installed a new Western
    Digital SCSI 500 GB hard drive. It installed and formated without problem
    other than I could only do this as a dynamic Disk.

    After transfering all files to this new drive (317 GB) and thinking
    everinthing was fine, I erased the old files from 2 other hard drives they
    were on.

    About a day later I got this error:

    {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
    \Device\LanmanRedirector (F:\$Mft). The data has been lost. This error may be
    caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please
    try to save this file elsewhere.

    The Bios has 2 drives set up as SATA, but after this error, I have to unplug
    the WD drive, reboot to windows, shut down, re-connect and reboot a few times
    before BIO's will "see" the WD drive.

    The error appears everytime, and does not allow me to see the files on the
    disk, but properties still has 317 GB used.

    How can I save this file, stop this delayed write or fix this problem?

    BroncoAvsFan, Oct 1, 2008

  2. BroncoAvsFan

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Might be useful:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812937
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Oct 2, 2008

  3. BroncoAvsFan

    philo Guest

    > I am runing Windows XP Prof Ver. 2002. Yesterday I downloaded SP 3. First
    > off, I know little about computers. I recently installed a new Western
    > Digital SCSI 500 GB hard drive. It installed and formated without problem
    > other than I could only do this as a dynamic Disk.
    >
    > After transfering all files to this new drive (317 GB) and thinking
    > everinthing was fine, I erased the old files from 2 other hard drives they
    > were on.
    >
    > About a day later I got this error:
    >
    > {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the

    file
    > \Device\LanmanRedirector (F:\$Mft). The data has been lost. This error may

    be
    > caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.

    Please
    > try to save this file elsewhere.
    >
    > The Bios has 2 drives set up as SATA, but after this error, I have to

    unplug
    > the WD drive, reboot to windows, shut down, re-connect and reboot a few

    times
    > before BIO's will "see" the WD drive.
    >
    > The error appears everytime, and does not allow me to see the files on the
    > disk, but properties still has 317 GB used.
    >
    > How can I save this file, stop this delayed write or fix this problem?

    Delayed write failure is typically caused by a defective harddrive.

    Run the manufacturer's diagnostic and if it fails...
    contact the manufacturer for an RMA.

    I also advise to never use the dynamic drive feature, when you set the drive
    up in disk management,
    you must have missed something. It will make data recovery difficult or
    impossible.

    If you ever have important data...you must always have it backed up...
    and you should NOT have erased the data from your old drives.

    If you have not yet used your olds drives, the chances of recovering your
    data from them
    are still pretty good, but the new drive (as I mentioned) may be difficult
    or impossible..

    I have used utilities such a PC Inspector to recover deleted data with
    pretty good results...

    At any rate, I'd try for a data recovery on your old drives as the chance of
    recovery is excellent if you have not yet written to them

    philo, Oct 2, 2008
  4. On Oct 1, 11:01 pm, BroncoAvsFan
    <> wrote:
    > I am runing Windows XP Prof Ver. 2002.  Yesterday I downloaded SP 3. First
    > off, I know little about computers. I recently installed a new Western
    > Digital SCSI 500 GB hard drive. It installed and formated without problem
    > other than I could only do this as a dynamic Disk.
    >
    > After transfering allfilesto this new drive (317 GB) and thinking
    > everinthing was fine, I erased the oldfilesfrom 2 other hard drives they
    > were on.

    You can try to recover erased files with Easy File Undelete software:

    http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

    It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software
    either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

    Sergey Wasilenkow, Oct 6, 2008
  5. BroncoAvsFan

    BroncoAvsFan Guest

    I belive I have solved my problem.

    I first made sure my SCSI drives were not set up as RAID in BIOS.

    In My Computer I right clicked on a IDE drive that I have installed in my
    computer.
    Clicked on Properties.
    Went to Hardware tab, highlighted the IDE drive and clicked properties.
    Went to Policies tab and disabled "Enable write caching on the disk"

    When I got bios to "see" my WD drive, and windows loaded up, I again went to
    the hardware tab under properies, highlighted the SCSI disks, clicked on the
    Properties tab, and clicked on boxes "Disable tagged queuing" and "Disable
    synchronous transfers". I did this to both SCSI disks on my computer.

    None of the files on my WD drive had been erased, it was all still there.
    My computer has been on for 4 days now without an error.

    BroncoAvsFan, Oct 6, 2008
  6. Good report back! And good fix. Using write caching should really only be
    enabled when there is a battery backed cache controller in the picture,
    IMHO. Too much risk of data loss and corruption.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 6, 2008