Delayed Write Failed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbWZlcmJveA==?=, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. I seem to be having a bit of a common problem here... I've got a pc running
    xp64 on a sata seagate drive (200gig) and I've updated the bios and I think I
    have all the latest drivers for the disk controllers. The machine seems to
    be ok for a day or two and then suddenly it will give me a delayed write
    failure just after it boots up. The machine may still work but the next time
    you boot up it generally hangs or just keeps rebooting itself. I now have my
    system backed up on a raid 0 array (two 74gig drives) and I have to do an
    automated system recovery every few days. A little annoying! Most of the
    other forums I've looked at say get the latest drivers (check) and turn off
    write caching through the device manager/properties thing. My options are
    greyed out on the properties page so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
    I'm running xp64 pro 2003 version sp1

    The system spec is:
    amd athlon 64 dual core 4000+
    Asus A8V deluxe motherboard
    Seagate 200 gig sata drive
    two 74gig sata drives striped as a raid 0 drive
    2 gig ddr 400 ram
    radeon 9250 356mb graphics card
    nec 16x dvd writer
    emu-1820m audio card

    Hope you can help. I don't have an internet connection on it which makes it
    tricky to install fixes or any further service packs. Anyone know if there
    is an updated pack for xp64?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbWZlcmJveA==?=, Feb 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbWZlcmJveA==?=

    Rick Guest

    There is no update pack at this time. You only other possible solution
    would be to download each of the updates and install them manually.

    Rick, Feb 20, 2006

  3. I've downloaded a couple of patches but when I run them, a box pops up saying
    that they aren't for my particlar machine. I don't understand this cos I
    definately downloaded the 64 bit patches...

    Any ideas how to turn off write caching? This seems to be the most common
    solution... All I know is that if I leave the machine alone for 10 minutes
    or so before I shut it down, then it seems to work fine. If I run or install
    stuff and reboot or switch off soon afterwards, the next time I boot up I get
    the write delay failed message.

    Some of the fixes I've tried include downloading all the latest drivers for
    the board, drives and soundcard (there are no other bits of hardware on the
    machine since I use it purely for music) reinstalling, formatting etc etc...
    The files that get corrupted by the write delay are random and have no
    bearing on the software I'm running.

    Hope you can help!

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbWZlcmJveA==?=, Feb 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbWZlcmJveA==?=

    Rick Guest

    The patches for Win x64 will have "x64" in the file name. If it has
    "ia64" it is for the Intel Itanium and will not work on an AMD64 nor an
    Intel EM64T.

    WindowsXP-KB898715-x64-enu.exe is an example. Note the "x64" in the file
    name.

    Rick, Feb 20, 2006