    Is there anyway to find out what is causing the delay?

    Using XP Pro SP3, 500MB RAM, Avast and Avira antivirus which are both
    on-demand only and the pagefile is set to a max/min of 500MB.

    Iapetus, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Iapetus

    Tony Guest

    Get rid of those antivirus programs. They're for newbies. That's what's
    causing all your problems.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Iapetus

    chuckcar Guest

    Iapetus <> wrote in news:gb54ng$901$:

    > My computer has started to take a long time to boot up, shut down and
    > reboot.
    >
    > When it starts it will pause just after the boot screen appears for up
    > to 20 seconds, no hard drive activity and the scrolling bar does not
    > slow down or freeze. Same happens when it shuts down, hard drive
    > activity, a pause of 10-20 seconds, then more activity before it
    > switches off.

    You say "boot screen". Do you mean the "starting windows XP" screen. This
    is commonly (although there is no rule here) called the "splash" screen.
    Some people call the the desktop background the "boot screen", hence my
    asking for clairification.

    If the above assumption by me is correct, the hard drive would be my first
    guess - and it *is* that at this point, with no real facts to go on. Try
    running a scandisk of your harddrive - thorough *without* fixing errors.
    That is do a sector scan. If it finds any bad sectors, the odds are
    excellent your hard drive is on it's last legs.

    > I've used HijackThis to see what is loading and can't see anything that
    > shouldn't be.

    Never assume malware are the most likely cause of slowdowns. Programs,
    yes. Try disabling startup completely start->run->msconfig and disable the
    "startup group" apply and restart. See if that makes it faster. If it
    does, *leave* it off, none are necessary for anything but trivial reasons.

    > Using XP Pro SP3, 500MB RAM, Avast and Avira antivirus which are both
    > on-demand only and the pagefile is set to a max/min of 500MB.

    Allow windows to change the pagefile size as needed, you *might* be
    running out of RAM. 1 Gig is not a lot these days. And you updated your
    data files for the AV software *just* before you ran a full scan on *all*
    files on your harddrive? Otherwise, this hasn't been eliminated either.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Iapetus

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:38:51 +0100, Iapetus wrote:

    >My computer has started to take a long time to boot up, shut down and
    >reboot.

    <snip>

    >I've used HijackThis to see what is loading and can't see anything that
    >shouldn't be.

    The event logs?

    >Is there anyway to find out what is causing the delay?

    Maybe
    http://www.greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/
    30 day free trial

    >Using XP Pro SP3, 500MB RAM, Avast and Avira antivirus which are both

    500MB isn't a lot to work with, more RAM will help.

    >on-demand only and the pagefile is set to a max/min of 500MB.

    Set to auto.

    Me

    why?, Sep 22, 2008