    but it does happen at other times (and it's happened with every
    computer I've used, so it's not a hardware/configuration problem).

    Is it a Windows limitation or something to do with hardware?

    Chris Lim, Jul 15, 2006

  2. Chris Lim

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in news:1152935243.246977.149310
    @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Is it a Windows limitation

    Disable "Autoinsert notification"

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 15, 2006

  3. Chris Lim

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 14 Jul 2006 20:47:23 -0700, "Chris Lim" <>
    exclaimed:

    >What causes the delay that occurs when you insert a new CD/DVD into the
    >drive and Windows (98/2000/XP) tries to detect what it is?
    >
    >I tend to notice it most when I'm burning onto blank DVD's using Nero,
    >but it does happen at other times (and it's happened with every
    >computer I've used, so it's not a hardware/configuration problem).
    >
    >Is it a Windows limitation or something to do with hardware?

    It takes a wee bit of time for it to notice there's something there,
    spin up, and then grab the details. Whilst some of the delay can be
    removed by disabling Auto-insert notification (as another poster
    mentioned), there will still be a delay.

    This is purely because the drive has to spin up, and there's not much
    that can be done about it! eg. you'll note that there is no spin-up
    time when you insert a Flash Memory Drive (ie a pendrive) as it does
    not need to spin up.

    Interestingly, the faster the drive, the longer this delay, as it has
    further to spin up to. Some of the old 2-8x CDROMs are actually faster
    than 52x because of this!

    Fred Dagg, Jul 15, 2006
  4. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > It takes a wee bit of time for it to notice there's something there,
    > spin up, and then grab the details. Whilst some of the delay can be
    > removed by disabling Auto-insert notification (as another poster
    > mentioned), there will still be a delay.
    >
    > This is purely because the drive has to spin up, and there's not much
    > that can be done about it! eg. you'll note that there is no spin-up
    > time when you insert a Flash Memory Drive (ie a pendrive) as it does
    > not need to spin up.

    Whoops, I didn't explain myself very well. The delay is fine, I can
    appreciate that it has to read the media, but the thing is the PC
    almost locks up while this is happening. The mouse still moves but
    there's not much else you can do for a few seconds. Like I said I tend
    to notice it most when I'm burning DVD's with Nero, but it's not a
    problem specific to Nero as it happens with other apps too.

    It's pretty much the only thing I can think of these days that actually
    locks a PC up. Everything else seems to multitask well except this.

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Chris Lim

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >What causes the delay that occurs when you insert a new CD/DVD into the
    >drive and Windows (98/2000/XP) tries to detect what it is?
    >
    >I tend to notice it most when I'm burning onto blank DVD's using Nero,
    >but it does happen at other times (and it's happened with every
    >computer I've used, so it's not a hardware/configuration problem).
    >
    >Is it a Windows limitation or something to do with hardware?

    I think it is a drive and IO thing. It always happens with me too.
    When you put a disc into the drive it has to determine what kind of
    disc it is first. I believe that CDs and DVDs require different
    lasers and the focus is different anyway.

    GraB, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Chris Lim

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    > > It takes a wee bit of time for it to notice there's something there,
    > > spin up, and then grab the details. Whilst some of the delay can be
    > > removed by disabling Auto-insert notification (as another poster
    > > mentioned), there will still be a delay.
    > >
    > > This is purely because the drive has to spin up, and there's not
    > > much that can be done about it! eg. you'll note that there is no
    > > spin-up time when you insert a Flash Memory Drive (ie a pendrive)
    > > as it does not need to spin up.

    > Whoops, I didn't explain myself very well. The delay is fine, I can
    > appreciate that it has to read the media, but the thing is the PC
    > almost locks up while this is happening. The mouse still moves but
    > there's not much else you can do for a few seconds. Like I said I tend
    > to notice it most when I'm burning DVD's with Nero, but it's not a
    > problem specific to Nero as it happens with other apps too.
    >
    > It's pretty much the only thing I can think of these days that
    > actually locks a PC up. Everything else seems to multitask well
    > except this.
    >
    > Chris

    Hi Chris,

    I hear what you're saying. I experience this too but it only seems to effect
    other actions that involve file-seeking IME. If you continue working in an
    already-open app it's fine. However, if you're opening an app (therefore
    file-seeking) or a folder/drive etc. then the PC is very unpesponsive. I've
    always put it down to I/O issues and the IDE bus slowing rather than the
    whole PC. CPU usage and RAM usage doesn't climb, just I/O dependant actions
    slow to a crawl.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Chris Lim

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 14 Jul 2006 20:47:23 -0700, "Chris Lim" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > What causes the delay that occurs when you insert a new CD/DVD into
    > > the drive and Windows (98/2000/XP) tries to detect what it is?
    > >
    > > I tend to notice it most when I'm burning onto blank DVD's using
    > > Nero, but it does happen at other times (and it's happened with
    > > every computer I've used, so it's not a hardware/configuration
    > > problem).
    > >
    > > Is it a Windows limitation or something to do with hardware?

    > I think it is a drive and IO thing. It always happens with me too.
    > When you put a disc into the drive it has to determine what kind of
    > disc it is first. I believe that CDs and DVDs require different
    > lasers and the focus is different anyway.

    Heh! Should have read the thread all the way through. I, too, think it's an
    I/O thing.

    :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I hear what you're saying. I experience this too but it only seems to effect
    > other actions that involve file-seeking IME. If you continue working in an
    > already-open app it's fine. However, if you're opening an app (therefore
    > file-seeking) or a folder/drive etc. then the PC is very unpesponsive. I've
    > always put it down to I/O issues and the IDE bus slowing rather than the
    > whole PC. CPU usage and RAM usage doesn't climb, just I/O dependant actions
    > slow to a crawl.

    Yeah I figured it was something to do with the IDE bus or similar on
    the motherboard. I'm just surprised that there aren't motherboards
    around these days that overcome this problem. It's a problem that I've
    experienced on PC's for as long as CD drives have been around!

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Chris Lim

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > I hear what you're saying. I experience this too but it only seems
    > > to effect other actions that involve file-seeking IME. If you
    > > continue working in an already-open app it's fine. However, if
    > > you're opening an app (therefore file-seeking) or a folder/drive
    > > etc. then the PC is very unpesponsive. I've always put it down to
    > > I/O issues and the IDE bus slowing rather than the whole PC. CPU
    > > usage and RAM usage doesn't climb, just I/O dependant actions slow
    > > to a crawl.

    > Yeah I figured it was something to do with the IDE bus or similar on
    > the motherboard. I'm just surprised that there aren't motherboards
    > around these days that overcome this problem. It's a problem that I've
    > experienced on PC's for as long as CD drives have been around!

    Yes, same here. It does seem odd that it hasn't been adequately addressed by
    hardware folks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2006
  10. In message <44b9ab0a$>, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Chris Lim wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> > I hear what you're saying. I experience this too but it only seems
    >> > to effect other actions that involve file-seeking IME. If you
    >> > continue working in an already-open app it's fine. However, if
    >> > you're opening an app (therefore file-seeking) or a folder/drive
    >> > etc. then the PC is very unpesponsive. I've always put it down to
    >> > I/O issues and the IDE bus slowing rather than the whole PC. CPU
    >> > usage and RAM usage doesn't climb, just I/O dependant actions slow
    >> > to a crawl.

    >> Yeah I figured it was something to do with the IDE bus or similar on
    >> the motherboard. I'm just surprised that there aren't motherboards
    >> around these days that overcome this problem. It's a problem that I've
    >> experienced on PC's for as long as CD drives have been around!

    > Yes, same here. It does seem odd that it hasn't been adequately addressed
    > by hardware folks.

    It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness on
    the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    OpenSuSE Linux 10.0.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2006
  11. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness on
    > the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    > OpenSuSE Linux 10.0

    Really? So if you have the equivalent of Nero up, put in a blank DVD,
    there's no sort of lock up on your system?

    What would cause Windows to lock up like that? I've experienced the
    problem with 95, 98 and XP.

    Chris Lim, Jul 22, 2006
  12. Chris Lim

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:53:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <44b9ab0a$>, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Lim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yeah I figured it was something to do with the IDE bus or similar on
    >>> the motherboard. I'm just surprised that there aren't motherboards
    >>> around these days that overcome this problem. It's a problem that I've
    >>> experienced on PC's for as long as CD drives have been around!

    >> Yes, same here. It does seem odd that it hasn't been adequately addressed
    >> by hardware folks.

    >It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness on
    >the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    >OpenSuSE Linux 10.0.

    What DVD drive do you have? Some are better than others with regard
    to the delay experienced, from what I've heard.

    GraB, Jul 22, 2006
  13. In message <>, GraB wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:53:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Yes, same here. It does seem odd that it hasn't been adequately
    >>> addressed by hardware folks.

    >>It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness
    >>on the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    >>OpenSuSE Linux 10.0.

    > What DVD drive do you have? Some are better than others with regard
    > to the delay experienced, from what I've heard.

    Here's the relevant part of what cdrecord -inq reports:

    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'LITE-ON '
    Identifikation : 'DVDRW LDW-451S '
    Revision : 'GSB7'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

    It writes CD, DVD+ and DVD-, single layer only. It's a couple of years old
    now.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2006
  14. Chris Lim

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:45:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:53:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness
    >>>on the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    >>>OpenSuSE Linux 10.0.

    >> What DVD drive do you have? Some are better than others with regard
    >> to the delay experienced, from what I've heard.

    >Here's the relevant part of what cdrecord -inq reports:
    >
    > Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    > Version : 0
    > Response Format: 2
    > Capabilities :
    > Vendor_info : 'LITE-ON '
    > Identifikation : 'DVDRW LDW-451S '
    > Revision : 'GSB7'
    > Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >
    >It writes CD, DVD+ and DVD-, single layer only. It's a couple of years old
    >now.

    I get a delay of about 5-10sec when inserting a disc on my Lite-On
    832S. It could also be a chipset thing. Mine is VIA KT266a.

    GraB, Jul 22, 2006
  15. Chris Lim

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-22, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> It's not a hardware problem. I've never noticed any such unresponsiveness on
    >> the Shuttle box I'm using to write this, which is currently running
    >> OpenSuSE Linux 10.0

    > Really? So if you have the equivalent of Nero up, put in a blank DVD,
    > there's no sort of lock up on your system?

    linux ignores the cdrom drive until you tell it to look.

    linux has no equivalent of nero, the GUI cd-authoring software doesn't write
    to the cd (but it is able to cause a CD to be written).
    The cd-writing software doesn't have a GUI.

    > What would cause Windows to lock up like that? I've experienced the
    > problem with 95, 98 and XP.

    probably something triggered by autorun processing.
    linux gets sluggish during cd-writing, but the lag is well less than half a
    second.

    I'm guessing nero is trying to identify the media (read the ATIP) before the
    drive itself is ready, and/or while windows is trying to read the autorun.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 22, 2006
  16. In message <>, GraB wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:45:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, GraB wrote:

    >>> What DVD drive do you have? Some are better than others with regard
    >>> to the delay experienced, from what I've heard.

    >>Here's the relevant part of what cdrecord -inq reports:
    >>
    >> Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    >> Version : 0
    >> Response Format: 2
    >> Capabilities :
    >> Vendor_info : 'LITE-ON '
    >> Identifikation : 'DVDRW LDW-451S '
    >> Revision : 'GSB7'
    >> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    >>
    >>It writes CD, DVD+ and DVD-, single layer only. It's a couple of years old
    >>now.

    > I get a delay of about 5-10sec when inserting a disc on my Lite-On
    > 832S. It could also be a chipset thing. Mine is VIA KT266a.

    The Shuttle in question has an Intel 875P chipset
    <http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-633/>. But
    really, I don't think this has anything to do with hardware at all.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2006
  17. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I get a delay of about 5-10sec when inserting a disc on my Lite-On
    > 832S. It could also be a chipset thing. Mine is VIA KT266a.

    When you get this delay, do any of your apps lock up? This is what I'm
    actually referring to - not simply the time it takes to recoginise new
    media, but the fact that the OS seems to lock up (partially). I'm
    pretty sure it happens with CD's as well, as I've had the problem ever
    since Windows 95.

    I can never reproduce it when I want though. Just now I started Nero,
    selected New DVD-ROM, put a blank DVD in, and there was no lock-up
    while the blank DVD was being detected. At other times doing the same
    thing locks up the OS so that I can't do anything except move the mouse
    pointer for a few seconds.

    Chris Lim, Jul 23, 2006
  18. Chris Lim

    GraB Guest

    On 22 Jul 2006 16:03:14 -0700, "Chris Lim" <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> I get a delay of about 5-10sec when inserting a disc on my Lite-On
    >> 832S. It could also be a chipset thing. Mine is VIA KT266a.

    >When you get this delay, do any of your apps lock up? This is what I'm
    >actually referring to - not simply the time it takes to recoginise new
    >media, but the fact that the OS seems to lock up (partially). I'm
    >pretty sure it happens with CD's as well, as I've had the problem ever
    >since Windows 95.
    >
    >I can never reproduce it when I want though. Just now I started Nero,
    >selected New DVD-ROM, put a blank DVD in, and there was no lock-up
    >while the blank DVD was being detected. At other times doing the same
    >thing locks up the OS so that I can't do anything except move the mouse
    >pointer for a few seconds.

    Just been experimenting. I get a slight lockup of a couple of seconds
    when inserting a CD where I can't use the mouse and a bit longer when
    inserting a blank DVD.

    GraB, Jul 23, 2006