Delay on XP boot up

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Recently fitted a new motherboard and CPU - slipstreamed XP home and
    SP2, and done a repair install. (Soltek SL-75MRN ¡V Athlon XP 2700)
    Apart from a few minor hiccups everything has gone smoothly. However,
    there is a small irritation that for the life of me I can¡¦t figure
    out.
    At boot up, the blue progress bar starts, and after awhile pauses for
    about 30 seconds, it then continues and boots into Windows okay.
    I¡¦m not a hundred percent sure that this started immediately after the
    upgrade and repair install, or a little time after. I do know that
    this didn¡¦t happen previous to the upgrade.
    I¡¦ve run ¡§Bootvis¡¨ and done a trace for driver delay and this shows a
    period of 53 seconds while the information states ¡§Driver: USBHUB
    Delay: 0.53 sec¡¨, the trace then continues normally.

    The actual boot up time is reasonable at around 90 seconds, and there
    is no problem with the computer, but I would like to know if this is
    normal behaviour?

    If anyone can throw some light on why this should suddenly start doing
    this, I would appreciate their help.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 25, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    Wizard Guest

    I would delete/remove everything USB and reboot then reinstall.

    John wrote:
    >
    > Recently fitted a new motherboard and CPU - slipstreamed XP home and
    > SP2, and done a repair install. (Soltek SL-75MRN ¡V Athlon XP 2700)
    > Apart from a few minor hiccups everything has gone smoothly. However,
    > there is a small irritation that for the life of me I can¡¦t figure
    > out.
    > At boot up, the blue progress bar starts, and after awhile pauses for
    > about 30 seconds, it then continues and boots into Windows okay.
    > I¡¦m not a hundred percent sure that this started immediately after the
    > upgrade and repair install, or a little time after. I do know that
    > this didn¡¦t happen previous to the upgrade.
    > I¡¦ve run ¡§Bootvis¡¨ and done a trace for driver delay and this shows a
    > period of 53 seconds while the information states ¡§Driver: USBHUB
    > Delay: 0.53 sec¡¨, the trace then continues normally.
    >
    > The actual boot up time is reasonable at around 90 seconds, and there
    > is no problem with the computer, but I would like to know if this is
    > normal behaviour?
    >
    > If anyone can throw some light on why this should suddenly start doing
    > this, I would appreciate their help.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.
    Wizard, Oct 25, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:49:24 GMT, Wizard wrote:

    > I would delete/remove everything USB and reboot then reinstall.
    >
    > John wrote:
    >>
    >> Recently fitted a new motherboard and CPU - slipstreamed XP home and
    >> SP2, and done a repair install. (Soltek SL-75MRN ¡V Athlon XP 2700)
    >> Apart from a few minor hiccups everything has gone smoothly. However,
    >> there is a small irritation that for the life of me I can¡¦t figure
    >> out.
    >> At boot up, the blue progress bar starts, and after awhile pauses for
    >> about 30 seconds, it then continues and boots into Windows okay.
    >> I¡¦m not a hundred percent sure that this started immediately after the
    >> upgrade and repair install, or a little time after. I do know that
    >> this didn¡¦t happen previous to the upgrade.
    >> I¡¦ve run ¡§Bootvis¡¨ and done a trace for driver delay and this shows a
    >> period of 53 seconds while the information states ¡§Driver: USBHUB
    >> Delay: 0.53 sec¡¨, the trace then continues normally.
    >>
    >> The actual boot up time is reasonable at around 90 seconds, and there
    >> is no problem with the computer, but I would like to know if this is
    >> normal behaviour?
    >>
    >> If anyone can throw some light on why this should suddenly start doing
    >> this, I would appreciate their help.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.


    Okay, I physically removed all USB connections including removing a
    USB card that I have installed, went into "Device Manager" and
    uninstalled everything in the USB Controller section. Rebooted and
    window found, and reinstalled the new hardware, rebooted a couple of
    more times to see the result but the problem remains (progress bar
    pauses for 30 seconds).
    Done another trace with "Bootvis" and this time the delay is shown
    loading "mouse and keyboard drivers" no mention of USB driver
    delay.(Wireless Microsoft Pro Keyboard and Mouse installed).
    I have a spare corded keyboard and mouse, so I'll change over to that
    and see if it makes a difference. Can't see how this would make a
    difference, but then I'm no computer expert.
    Starting to think that this might be a long term problem solving
    exercise, just as well I'm retired:)

    Wizard, if you have further suggestions they would be most welcome -
    that applies to anyone else in the group that might have a thought on
    the matter:).

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 25, 2004
    #3
  4. John

    Thagor Guest

    John <> wrote in
    news:cfi5rgsmukhg$:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:49:24 GMT, Wizard wrote:
    >
    >> I would delete/remove everything USB and reboot then reinstall.
    >>
    >> John wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Recently fitted a new motherboard and CPU - slipstreamed XP home and
    >>> SP2, and done a repair install. (Soltek SL-75MRN ¡V Athlon XP 2700)
    >>> Apart from a few minor hiccups everything has gone smoothly.
    >>> However, there is a small irritation that for the life of me I
    >>> can¡¦t figure out.
    >>> At boot up, the blue progress bar starts, and after awhile pauses
    >>> for about 30 seconds, it then continues and boots into Windows okay.
    >>> I¡¦m not a hundred percent sure that this started immediately after
    >>> the upgrade and repair install, or a little time after. I do know
    >>> that this didn¡¦t happen previous to the upgrade.
    >>> I¡¦ve run ¡§Bootvis¡¨ and done a trace for driver delay and this
    >>> shows a period of 53 seconds while the information states ¡§Driver:
    >>> USBHUB Delay: 0.53 sec¡¨, the trace then continues normally.
    >>>
    >>> The actual boot up time is reasonable at around 90 seconds, and
    >>> there is no problem with the computer, but I would like to know if
    >>> this is normal behaviour?
    >>>
    >>> If anyone can throw some light on why this should suddenly start
    >>> doing this, I would appreciate their help.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> John.

    >
    > Okay, I physically removed all USB connections including removing a
    > USB card that I have installed, went into "Device Manager" and
    > uninstalled everything in the USB Controller section. Rebooted and
    > window found, and reinstalled the new hardware, rebooted a couple of
    > more times to see the result but the problem remains (progress bar
    > pauses for 30 seconds).
    > Done another trace with "Bootvis" and this time the delay is shown
    > loading "mouse and keyboard drivers" no mention of USB driver
    > delay.(Wireless Microsoft Pro Keyboard and Mouse installed).
    > I have a spare corded keyboard and mouse, so I'll change over to that
    > and see if it makes a difference. Can't see how this would make a
    > difference, but then I'm no computer expert.
    > Starting to think that this might be a long term problem solving
    > exercise, just as well I'm retired:)
    >
    > Wizard, if you have further suggestions they would be most welcome -
    > that applies to anyone else in the group that might have a thought on
    > the matter:).
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.
    >
    >

    Just a quick tip here. The Event Viewer found in the Administrative Tools
    bin can be a handy tool. Have a look at the system errors there-in and
    maybe gain some insight. Let us know what you found!
    Thagor, Oct 27, 2004
    #4
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:25:49 GMT, Thagor wrote:

    <snip>

    > Just a quick tip here. The Event Viewer found in the Administrative Tools
    > bin can be a handy tool. Have a look at the system errors there-in and
    > maybe gain some insight. Let us know what you found!


    Thanks for the tip - There are four error points at the boot up,
    however, they don't mean a thing to me I'm afraid.

    They are #1:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10005
    Date: 28/10/2004
    Time: 8:24:39 a.m.
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JOHN-PARAPARAUM
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
    disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
    attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to
    run the server:
    {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    #2:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10005
    Date: 28/10/2004
    Time: 8:24:39 a.m.
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JOHN-PARAPARAUM
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
    disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
    attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to
    run the server:
    {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    I found some information on Steve Gibson's web site about DCOM but not
    sure if this relates to the error message above. Anyhow, he has a
    small utility (DCOMbobulator) that allow the user to disable, or
    enable, DCOM (port 135). I downloaded and tried the utility - first
    disabling, then enabling, rebooted both times, but the error message
    remained.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    #3:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7026
    Date: 28/10/2004
    Time: 8:24:28 a.m.
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOHN-PARAPARAUM
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    PenClass
    viaagp

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    I assume that this error relates to an AGP card? Though I had an AGP
    card installed on my old motherboard, I use the onboard video at
    present.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    #4:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 28/10/2004
    Time: 8:24:27 a.m.
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOHN-PARAPARAUM
    Description:
    The %ADPT_USBEHCD.DeviceDesc% service failed to start due to the
    following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
    because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    Have a gut feeling that this might be the problem but the only
    information I can find relates to configuring the "Config.sys" whereas
    my "Config.sys" is not used.

    If you, or any other person in the group can point me in a direction
    that could help It would be most welcome.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 28, 2004
    #5
  6. John

    Thagor Guest

    John <> wrote in news:lt6tfd33enjk.pxkq378hbotr.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > 10005
    >

    Suggestions:

    1. Make sure your XP is up to date with all the security updates.

    2. You should not have any visible leftovers from the previous (old)
    motherboard. If you do, use add/rmove hardware and/or programs functions
    to remove this freeloading junk.

    3. If the PenClass viaagp entry in your hidden devices is not
    functioning, try updating the driver. If this doesn't help, remove it and
    reboot. If it won't boot back up, put in the XP CD and do a repair
    operation on the second prompt for REPAIR.
    Thagor, Oct 28, 2004
    #6
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Thagor wrote:

    > John <> wrote in news:lt6tfd33enjk.pxkq378hbotr.dlg@
    > 40tude.net:
    >
    >> 10005
    >>

    > Suggestions:
    >
    > 1. Make sure your XP is up to date with all the security updates.


    All part of the good housekeeping code:)

    > 2. You should not have any visible leftovers from the previous (old)
    > motherboard. If you do, use add/rmove hardware and/or programs functions
    > to remove this freeloading junk.


    Not quite as easy as the first suggestion - as far as I can ascertain
    things are clean, but I wouldn't put money on it.

    > 3. If the PenClass viaagp entry in your hidden devices is not
    > functioning, try updating the driver. If this doesn't help, remove it and
    > reboot. If it won't boot back up, put in the XP CD and do a repair
    > operation on the second prompt for REPAIR.


    In the hidden devices there are two entries with explanation marks
    "%ADPT_USBEHCD.Devicedesc%" and "Ausbd Filter Service". Going into
    properties for these two shows that the current status is stopped, and
    can't be started, either because it is disabled, or has no enabled
    device.
    Viaagp entry hasn't an explanation mark against it but going into
    properties shows the current status is stopped and can't be started
    because the system can't find the file specified. (File is in correct
    folder)

    I deleted these three, and on reboot the computer booted into windows
    okay but the progress bar still paused for the same amount of time
    (around 30 seconds).

    That indicates to me that they are still attempting to load, maybe a
    register entry?

    I used the programme "GoBack" to get back before I started deleting
    things, so things are now as they were previously.

    I'm starting to think that the only way to rectify the situation is by
    a clean install of Windows XP. I'm a little hesitant to take this
    action at the present time as the computer is going so well.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 28, 2004
    #7
  8. John

    Thagor Guest

    John <> wrote in
    news:eek:k3sjx21sver.11uwwhyx86g77$:

    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Thagor wrote:
    >
    >> John <> wrote in
    >> news:lt6tfd33enjk.pxkq378hbotr.dlg@ 40tude.net:
    >>
    >>> 10005
    >>>

    >> Suggestions:
    >>
    >> 1. Make sure your XP is up to date with all the security updates.

    >
    > All part of the good housekeeping code:)
    >
    >> 2. You should not have any visible leftovers from the previous (old)
    >> motherboard. If you do, use add/rmove hardware and/or programs
    >> functions to remove this freeloading junk.

    >
    > Not quite as easy as the first suggestion - as far as I can ascertain
    > things are clean, but I wouldn't put money on it.
    >
    >> 3. If the PenClass viaagp entry in your hidden devices is not
    >> functioning, try updating the driver. If this doesn't help, remove it
    >> and reboot. If it won't boot back up, put in the XP CD and do a
    >> repair operation on the second prompt for REPAIR.

    >
    > In the hidden devices there are two entries with explanation marks
    > "%ADPT_USBEHCD.Devicedesc%" and "Ausbd Filter Service". Going into
    > properties for these two shows that the current status is stopped, and
    > can't be started, either because it is disabled, or has no enabled
    > device.
    > Viaagp entry hasn't an explanation mark against it but going into
    > properties shows the current status is stopped and can't be started
    > because the system can't find the file specified. (File is in correct
    > folder)
    >
    > I deleted these three, and on reboot the computer booted into windows
    > okay but the progress bar still paused for the same amount of time
    > (around 30 seconds).
    >
    > That indicates to me that they are still attempting to load, maybe a
    > register entry?
    >
    > I used the programme "GoBack" to get back before I started deleting
    > things, so things are now as they were previously.
    >
    > I'm starting to think that the only way to rectify the situation is by
    > a clean install of Windows XP. I'm a little hesitant to take this
    > action at the present time as the computer is going so well.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.
    >


    I agree with you. It acts like a registry problem and clean install with
    fresh updates should get you back to stability. Sorry could not help
    more. Good luck!
    Thagor, Oct 29, 2004
    #8
  9. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:28:09 GMT, Thagor wrote:

    > John <> wrote in
    > news:eek:k3sjx21sver.11uwwhyx86g77$:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Thagor wrote:
    >>
    >>> John <> wrote in
    >>> news:lt6tfd33enjk.pxkq378hbotr.dlg@ 40tude.net:
    >>>
    >>>> 10005
    >>>>
    >>> Suggestions:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Make sure your XP is up to date with all the security updates.

    >>
    >> All part of the good housekeeping code:)
    >>
    >>> 2. You should not have any visible leftovers from the previous (old)
    >>> motherboard. If you do, use add/rmove hardware and/or programs
    >>> functions to remove this freeloading junk.

    >>
    >> Not quite as easy as the first suggestion - as far as I can ascertain
    >> things are clean, but I wouldn't put money on it.
    >>
    >>> 3. If the PenClass viaagp entry in your hidden devices is not
    >>> functioning, try updating the driver. If this doesn't help, remove it
    >>> and reboot. If it won't boot back up, put in the XP CD and do a
    >>> repair operation on the second prompt for REPAIR.

    >>
    >> In the hidden devices there are two entries with explanation marks
    >> "%ADPT_USBEHCD.Devicedesc%" and "Ausbd Filter Service". Going into
    >> properties for these two shows that the current status is stopped, and
    >> can't be started, either because it is disabled, or has no enabled
    >> device.
    >> Viaagp entry hasn't an explanation mark against it but going into
    >> properties shows the current status is stopped and can't be started
    >> because the system can't find the file specified. (File is in correct
    >> folder)
    >>
    >> I deleted these three, and on reboot the computer booted into windows
    >> okay but the progress bar still paused for the same amount of time
    >> (around 30 seconds).
    >>
    >> That indicates to me that they are still attempting to load, maybe a
    >> register entry?
    >>
    >> I used the programme "GoBack" to get back before I started deleting
    >> things, so things are now as they were previously.
    >>
    >> I'm starting to think that the only way to rectify the situation is by
    >> a clean install of Windows XP. I'm a little hesitant to take this
    >> action at the present time as the computer is going so well.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John.
    >>

    >
    > I agree with you. It acts like a registry problem and clean install with
    > fresh updates should get you back to stability. Sorry could not help
    > more. Good luck!


    Thank you for your assistance - the fact that I haven't been able to
    rectify the problem is due to my own limited knowledge. However, I'm
    not in a rush to reinstall yet, I intend to worry, and loose sleep,
    until I either find a solution, or throw the bugger out with the
    rubbish:)

    Again, thanks for your help and assistance.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 29, 2004
    #9
  10. John

    colin Guest

    John <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:28:09 GMT, Thagor wrote:
    >
    > > John <> wrote in
    > > news:eek:k3sjx21sver.11uwwhyx86g77$:
    > >
    > >> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Thagor wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> John <> wrote in
    > >>> news:lt6tfd33enjk.pxkq378hbotr.dlg@ 40tude.net:
    > >>>
    > >>>> 10005
    > >>>>
    > >>> Suggestions:
    > >>>
    > >>> 1. Make sure your XP is up to date with all the security updates.
    > >>
    > >> All part of the good housekeeping code:)
    > >>
    > >>> 2. You should not have any visible leftovers from the previous (old)
    > >>> motherboard. If you do, use add/rmove hardware and/or programs
    > >>> functions to remove this freeloading junk.
    > >>
    > >> Not quite as easy as the first suggestion - as far as I can ascertain
    > >> things are clean, but I wouldn't put money on it.
    > >>
    > >>> 3. If the PenClass viaagp entry in your hidden devices is not
    > >>> functioning, try updating the driver. If this doesn't help, remove it
    > >>> and reboot. If it won't boot back up, put in the XP CD and do a
    > >>> repair operation on the second prompt for REPAIR.
    > >>
    > >> In the hidden devices there are two entries with explanation marks
    > >> "%ADPT_USBEHCD.Devicedesc%" and "Ausbd Filter Service". Going into
    > >> properties for these two shows that the current status is stopped, and
    > >> can't be started, either because it is disabled, or has no enabled
    > >> device.
    > >> Viaagp entry hasn't an explanation mark against it but going into
    > >> properties shows the current status is stopped and can't be started
    > >> because the system can't find the file specified. (File is in correct
    > >> folder)
    > >>
    > >> I deleted these three, and on reboot the computer booted into windows
    > >> okay but the progress bar still paused for the same amount of time
    > >> (around 30 seconds).
    > >>
    > >> That indicates to me that they are still attempting to load, maybe a
    > >> register entry?
    > >>
    > >> I used the programme "GoBack" to get back before I started deleting
    > >> things, so things are now as they were previously.
    > >>
    > >> I'm starting to think that the only way to rectify the situation is by
    > >> a clean install of Windows XP. I'm a little hesitant to take this
    > >> action at the present time as the computer is going so well.
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> John.
    > >>

    > >
    > > I agree with you. It acts like a registry problem and clean install with
    > > fresh updates should get you back to stability. Sorry could not help
    > > more. Good luck!

    >
    > Thank you for your assistance - the fact that I haven't been able to
    > rectify the problem is due to my own limited knowledge. However, I'm
    > not in a rush to reinstall yet, I intend to worry, and loose sleep,
    > until I either find a solution, or throw the bugger out with the
    > rubbish:)
    >
    > Again, thanks for your help and assistance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John.
    >
    >


    Just a thought:-
    Has your comp got a network card in it?
    Reason I ask is, on a win9x box if the card has been assigned a static IP
    address ie 192.168.0.1 there`s no delay on boot-up.
    Where-as a server assigned IP will delay the boot process.
    Don`t know if this is the same for winxp.
    colin, Oct 29, 2004
    #10
  11. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:14:53 +1000, colin wrote:

    <snip>

    > Just a thought:-
    > Has your comp got a network card in it?
    > Reason I ask is, on a win9x box if the card has been assigned a static IP
    > address ie 192.168.0.1 there`s no delay on boot-up.
    > Where-as a server assigned IP will delay the boot process.
    > Don`t know if this is the same for winxp.


    When I had cable installed couple of years ago the IP address given me
    then is still the same, hasn't changed (never have). Therefore I think
    it's safe to assume I have a static IP address. (It's my understanding
    that a static IP address doesn't change whereas a server assigned IP
    address will).

    When I first started to investigate the error messages in the Event
    Viewer, I had four error points, with two of them pointing to DCOM see
    below.
    >>>>>>>>>

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10005
    Date: 30/10/2004
    Time: 6:51:25 a.m.
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JOHN-PARAPARAUM
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
    disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
    attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to
    run the server:
    {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>


    Well, I've found out more information in regards this error message,
    firstly on this Microsoft Web site;

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298095&sd=tech

    > This issue occurs because the Microsoft Search (MSSearch) service starts before the Web Storage System starts,
    > and the Microsoft Search service tries to automatically start the Web Storage System by using distributed
    > COM (DCOM). The Web Storage System is secured to prevent programs from starting the Web Storage System with
    > DCOM; therefore, an error is recorded when the Microsoft Search service tries to do so.
    > The Web Storage System does not allow programs to automatically start the Web Storage System, to prevent it
    > from being started without the server operator's knowledge when the server operator has stopped it for
    > maintenance or other reasons.
    > IMPORTANT: Do not change your DCOM settings to allow programs to automatically start the Web Storage System.
    > MORE INFORMATION
    > These DCOM error messages are benign, and you can ignore them. As noted in the "Cause" section
    > of this article, do not change your DCOM settings to prevent these error messages from being logged.


    If I'm reading this correctly Microsoft is telling me not to worry and
    just ignore the error messages?

    Secondly, I've found the solution for stopping the DCOM error messages
    by editing two entries in the registry, which are:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\upnphost]. Set
    the value of "Start" to "4" to disable the service, or "3" to enable
    it.

    And:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSDPSRV]. Set
    the value of "Start" to "4" to disable the service, or "3" to enable
    it.

    Both these entries were set to disable, by enabling these two entries
    then rebooting, the DCOM error points no longer shows. However,
    information that I have read advises not to enable these two entries:

    "Disable Universal Plug and Play Services (Windows XP) Windows XP
    includes support for Universal Plug and Play (UnPnP) which allows
    UnPnP devices to be connected over a network. There are currently
    limited UnPnP devices available and due to a recent security flaw it
    may be advisable to disable these services".

    Though the error points no longer shows if DCOM is enabled, the pause
    at bootup still remains the same. So back to the drawing board again -
    two down, two to go.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 29, 2004
    #11
  12. John

    em00001

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had a boot delay which seemed to have started after I defragmented my harddrive. An online post somewhere referred to Boot file defrag during boot time. Using regedit I figured that it was set to 'enable Y' I reset it to N. It seems to have worked for me. Hope this helps.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Dfrg/BootOptimizeFunction/Enable Y turned it to N

    and then I rebooted. Seems to work....
    em00001, May 1, 2008
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DemoDisk

    Long Boot Up Delay

    DemoDisk, Feb 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,657
    DemoDisk
    Feb 28, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=

    Long Boot Delay on XP Tablet w/ Wireless Network

    =?Utf-8?B?V29vZHk=?=, Jul 21, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    9,524
  3. Stone
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    15,664
    stephen
    Sep 27, 2006
  4. Allan Jeal

    Wireless network & boot delay

    Allan Jeal, Oct 24, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    501
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Oct 24, 2006
  5. flexy
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,211
    Jud Hendrix
    Sep 6, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page