Deframenters not working.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. I am not able to run any defragmenter on this installation of XP Pro x64. I
    have tried the system defrag, Perfect Disk 7.1 and Diskeeper 10.

    The GUI for PD never appears but the executables show in Task Manager under
    processes.
    DK does nothing, but two entries show in TM, both "not responding" under
    applications.
    Defrag also shows two entries in the TM, both "not responding."

    At present PD 7.1 is installed on x64. DK is installed on x86.

    I saw a similar problem with O&O defrag on my other XP64 box (executibles
    ran but no GUI) last year, but the system defrag and DK have never been a
    problem.

    This installation of XP64 is about three weeks old. I am dual booting with
    XP Pro SP2 and the programs do work there. At the moment I am using DK to
    derfrag from x86. Set and Forget is not set on the x64 drive.

    I am not using the SP2 beta for x64 on this system.

    I have a similar problem with Retrospect 7.5. Runs fine on x86 but I get
    the dual "not responding" result on x64. Retrospect runs fine on my other
    XP64 box.

    Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe, GeForce 7900GT (not that any
    of this matters much in this case).
    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Colin:

    I use DK Pro 10 and Retrospect 7.5; I haven't seen this behavior
    yet. Both programs function normally on 2 of my towers, AMD FX51 and 2 AMD
    4400x2. Retrospect 7.5 installs on Vista RC1 x86 and x64 also but I haven't
    tried it yet. Currently both of my AMD 4400x2 towers are handicapped because
    when I installed Vista RC1 it corrupted both of my raid arrays and I
    reinstalled x64 but it won't start without an operating system disk in the
    drive because Vista has the boot file set as read only and won't update
    during installation. I can get x64sp2 on the raid array to boot if I let it
    try twice and allow it to run scan-disk until all the raid partitions are
    corrected. I did file a bug report on the raid, BCD and boot.ini problems.
    The old FX51 has no problems with x64, Vista RC1 x64 and x86 except that the
    sleep function won't wakeup because there is no bios updates but hibernate
    functions normally. I'd like to try the Core 2 Duo but being on sick leave
    eliminates my spending luxuries for now. One odd thought may be the 7900GT
    video card causing a corruption, but that should be fixed by now.

    Dennis Pack x64, vista rc1 x86 & x64, Sep 13, 2006

  3. I use both on my AMD64 x2 (XP64) system successfully as well. However, this
    is a new Core 2 Duo system. Both R 7.5 and DK 10 hang and show two sessions
    in TM, both "not responding," in XP x64. Both R7.5 and DK10 run fine on the
    XP x86 partition.

    Since the original post I have gotten the system defragger to work OK by
    just waiting a while when it appears to hang. The hang eventually goes
    away. This now only occurs after a defrag and only if I OK to see the
    report. Perfect Disk does work but behaves badly. It takes about a half
    hour before the GUI appears if I disconnect all external drives. It takes
    an hour if I have them hooked up. The log does show that the scheduled run
    once a week is going OK.

    I ran the system file checker to see if maybe something was messed up with
    the MMC, but with little if any better results.

    "Dennis Pack x64, vista rc1 x86 & x64" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Colin Barnhorst

    mikeyhsd Guest

    have had good luck with XP Pro X-64, and vista 64 and 32 bit versions using
    AusLogics Disk Defrag
    gives a real cute grapic display as it is moving the block around.

    but like all the others, it is not perfect.
    after running it i usually run the windows defrag, then Auslogic again and then windows defrag again. to give the best defrag results.

    NONE of them defrag the MFT.

    mikeyhsd, Sep 13, 2006
  5. I am more into figuring out the oddball behavior on one of my x64 boxes (the other behaves fine with the same software) than I am in looking for something else to try. There is no shortage of defraggers now, but all of them behave oddly on this machine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 14, 2006
  6. Colin:
    Nvidia released updated video drivers today (version 91.47). Running
    Memtest86+ may find a fault in your ram because you mentioned in another
    post that adding ram caused x64 not to function.

    Dennis Pack x64, Vista RC1 x86 & x64, Sep 14, 2006
  7. I have gotten a second set of ram sticks and there was no change. x86 runs
    fine with all 4GB installed, x64 continues to choke. When I select x64 on
    the boot options screen I immediately see "ntldr" not found and that's all
    she wrote. If I run x64 Setup, I get a blue screen right after the text
    phase. I pull the extra ram and x64 boots and runs normally just like x86.
    I suspect a mobo or cpu issue. I am going to take it to a shop for
    diagnosis next week.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 15, 2006
  8. Colin:
    I get the "ntldr" not found when booting into x64 on this 4400x2. This
    started after my raid drives were corrupted and I reinstalled x64 after
    Vista x64 RC1 was installed. The solution that I found was to leave an
    operating system disk (including XP, x64, x64sp2, Vista RC1, Vista Pre RC1
    or Vista B2) in the drive and x64 boots. I filed a bug report about the
    raid and boot.ini concerns. I think that the problem with RC1 is that it
    locks the "boot" files to a read only for all functions and won't allow any
    updates after installation. I know that I can't delete the boot directory
    on my C drive but I could with beta 2. I vaguely remember some 4GB ram and
    above issues with x64 beta due to bios issues and a couple programs not
    responding, but I didn't pay close attention because I'm only running 2GB on
    my towers. This still doesn't answer why R7.5 and DK 10 don't work with x64
    on your computer.

    Dennis Pack x64, Vista RC1 x86 & x64, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Any BIOS settings that might be required for XP Pro x64 as well as possible
    BIOS updates are issues on the agenda for next week at the shop. But even
    if what you say were true, it does not explain why Setup bluescreens at the
    end of the text phase. After all, the cd IS in the drive.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 15, 2006
  10. Colin:
    Sorry, I overlooked the part about the BSOD with 4GB ram installed. That
    part brings back memories of the Prescott chipset and XPsp2 installation. It
    took 4 bios updates before SP2 would install and not wipe out the operating
    system. The reported cause was a conflict between the processor and
    motherboard. For me it was the last Intel or MSI products that I purchased.

    Dennis Pack x64, Vista RC1 x86 & x64, Sep 15, 2006
  11. Yeah, I'm thinking that BIOS upgrades are in my future. Which is OK as long
    as it gets resolved. The machine is no cripple under x64 and I'm not
    planning any 2GB virtual machines anytime soon. It is clear that it is not
    anything I am doing or bad media (I installed from the same MSDN copy of x64
    on the AMD64 box). That the AMD64x2 box hosts x64 on 4GB of ram just fine
    tells me that much.

    That's why I'm going to let a pro take a look.

    "Dennis Pack x64, Vista RC1 x86 & x64" <> wrote
    in message news:eaVrw%...

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 15, 2006