    running. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. The usual people who
    just relpy to show their alleged superiority please don't bother.

    Thanks in advance

    nemesis, Aug 1, 2007

  2. nemesis

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 04:00:07 +0100, "nemesis"
    <> wrote:

    >My computer runs on Windows 98 SE. I can't afford to update just now. I
    >can't get my hard drives (2) defragmented no matter how long I leave things
    >running. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. The usual people who
    >just relpy to show their alleged superiority please don't bother.

    Reboot in Safe mode, and run defrag in safe mode.

    Evan Platt, Aug 1, 2007

  3. nemesis

    thanatoid Guest

    "nemesis" <> wrote in

    > My computer runs on Windows 98 SE. I can't afford to
    > update just now. I can't get my hard drives (2)
    > defragmented no matter how long I leave things running. Any
    > helpful advice would be appreciated. The usual people who
    > just relpy to show their alleged superiority please don't
    > bother.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Evan's advice may or may not work in your case depending on how
    bad things are. I have never had to do anything in Safe Mode and
    avoid it like the plague.

    The LONG TERM solution is to divide you hard drive into
    partitions.
    I have 7 on one machine and 16 on the other and it usually takes
    less than a minute or two to defrag any one of them. Not to
    mention all the other advantages (which no one tells you about
    because they're either stupid, or think you are, or just don't
    understand the issue)

    Here's a great link to convince you:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_02.htm

    In your case, (I am assuming, perhaps wrongly that you have one
    [or maybe two] huge partitions), the only right thing you can do
    (perhaps after Evan's advice works for you), is to copy all the
    data onto removable media or whatever you happen to have handy,
    and f-disk and reformat your drive into a bunch of partitions. I
    have Win98SElite on a 2.5 GB partition along with LOTS of
    programs, and I ALWAYS have about 1.5 GB free for working. The
    rest of the partitions range from 1.5-4 GB. That's where all the
    non-system data goes so no matter what happens to the C drive I
    am safe. If you're into 4-CD games or movies, you might want
    bigger partitions.

    --
    "...for the force that circles the earth most times in a second
    is not electricity but pain."

    thanatoid, Aug 1, 2007
  4. nemesis

    Plato Guest

    nemesis wrote:

    > My computer runs on Windows 98 SE. I can't afford to update just now. I
    > can't get my hard drives (2) defragmented no matter how long I leave things
    > running. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. The usual people who
    > just relpy to show their alleged superiority please don't bother.

    Try using msconfig to temporarily disable all your background apps you
    have set running. Rebooot, then try defrag again. First delete all your
    temp/tmp files and temporary internet files. It should work after that.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 1, 2007
  5. nemesis

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns997EE9D6FCF3Ethanexit@66.250.146.158>, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > I have never had to do anything in Safe Mode and
    > avoid it like the plague.

    You avoid SAFE MODE like the plague?

    Why?
    Are you confused?

    Mitch, Aug 1, 2007
  6. nemesis

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-01, nemesis <> wrote:
    > My computer runs on Windows 98 SE. I can't afford to update just now. I
    > can't get my hard drives (2) defragmented no matter how long I leave things
    > running. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. The usual people who
    > just relpy to show their alleged superiority please don't bother.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Try deleting all and any stuff you don't need, to make some empty space
    for the defrag program to play with.

    You can get a legal copy of almost any Linux operating system free of
    charge, and install it on as many machines as you like, and give copies
    away too. It needn't cost much to upgrade from Windows 98SE :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 1, 2007
  7. nemesis

    Buffalo Guest

    nemesis wrote:
    > My computer runs on Windows 98 SE. I can't afford to update just
    > now. I can't get my hard drives (2) defragmented no matter how long
    > I leave things running. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
    > The usual people who just relpy to show their alleged superiority
    > please don't bother.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Check to see how much free space you have on your hard drives. If there is
    not much (less than 10%,) that could be the problem as Defrag needs around
    that much, I think, to do its job.
    Disconnect from the Internet, and do a ctrl-alt-del and shut down all
    running programs except for explorer and systray.
    Now run a Scandisk and let it finish.
    Then try to run the defrag program again.
    If you get it done, reboot and all the programs that you shut down should
    come back on.
    You could also try looking in Google for more help on the Win98 system.
    A group that is very sharp on Win98SE is :
    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    They have dealt with the above problem many times and have excellent
    suggestions.

    Buffalo, Aug 1, 2007
  8. nemesis

    Guest

    Mitch <> wrote:

    >In article <Xns997EE9D6FCF3Ethanexit@66.250.146.158>, thanatoid
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have never had to do anything in Safe Mode and
    >> avoid it like the plague.

    >You avoid SAFE MODE like the plague?
    >
    >Why?

    Maybe not like the plague, but I have avoided safe mode since Win98,
    After safe mode I would have to put all my icons back where they
    belonged, and have to reset my background (color not a picture).

    I still remember times when it said entering safe mode, and I'd panic
    pound the keyboard to stop it :)

    Even now (XP) I avoid safe mode just in case.

    But safe mode to defrag is the route to go if you don't dual boot.

    From C: root, I would also run ATTRIB -R /S /D before a defrag as a
    read only file won't be moved under Win98.
    --

    http://blizzmax.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bushbj.jpg

    , Aug 1, 2007