    is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we
    have."
    -----The Great Albert Einstein------
    Harry, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Harry

    philo Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
    > called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files were
    > they?
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    that's usually your swap file and a few other files necessary for
    booting your computer...
    it's nothing to worry about
    philo, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Thank You!

    --
    Harry Bluebottle

    " that all our science, measured against reality,

    Harry, Mar 23, 2005
  4. Harry

    Vanguard Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I was defragmenting my drive C:\ and I noticed a section of the disk
    > called "Unmoveable Files", colored in green. Was wondering what files
    > were they?
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    You could look within the defragger's own help for information. Often
    the help already includes the topic of your question. For example, it
    says:

    Green areas represent unmovable files, which cannot be relocated by Disk
    Defragmenter.
    On file allocation table (FAT)/FAT32 volumes, the green areas are
    typically represent paging files, which are also called swap files.
    However, on volumes formatted using the NTFS file system, they may also
    represent space used by the NTFS Change journal and the NTFS logfile.

    "There appear to be unmovable files on volumes other than the system
    volumes and boot volumes."
    Cause: Paging files appear as unmovable files in Disk Defragmenter. On
    NTFS volumes the NTFS change journal also appears as an unmovable file.
    Solution: This is by design because paging files cannot be moved and
    therefore cannot be defragmented. For more information, see 'Why files
    are not moved to some regions of NTFS-formatted volumes' (this is a
    link; content shown below).

    "Why files are not moved to some regions of NTFS-formatted volumes"
    On volumes formatted with the NTFS file system, Windows reserves a
    portion of the free space called the master file table (MFT) Zone, as a
    space where the MFT can grow. Windows stores all the information
    necessary to retrieve files from the volume in the MFT.
    Disk Defragmenter cannot move files to the MFT Zone because it is
    reserved by Windows. However, Windows allows other files to be saved in
    the space reserved for the MFT Zone when no other disk space is
    available.

    Vanguard, Mar 23, 2005