    but after 2 hours still the same with no progress.
    Running Win ME on IBM ThinkPad
    Any helpfull suggestions would be apreciated
    belto, Mar 23, 2005

  2. belto

    carson Guest

    "belto" <> wrote in message
    news:Ugg0e.116818$...
    > I am trying to cure a serious attack by adware, popups etc 248 approx
    > re-installed antivrus and trying to defrag the hard drice .
    > Everything looks ok HDD active and windows stating deframenting drive
    > but after 2 hours still the same with no progress.
    > Running Win ME on IBM ThinkPad
    > Any helpfull suggestions would be apreciated
    >
    > stop all running programs except explorer

    virus scanners and such can interrupt the defragment process
    forcing it to start over and over
    carson, Mar 23, 2005

  3. belto

    old john Guest

    hi b. restart computer and press F8 to start in `safe mode`
    then do your defrag..J

    old john, Mar 23, 2005
  4. belto

    °Mike° Guest

    Start here:

    Next, download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    Now maintained by InterMute
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

    When you have done all of that, try defragmenting again.
    If you still have problems, see:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:52:20 GMT, in
    <Ugg0e.116818$>
    belto scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Install Diskeeper - does a better job quicker than the built in defrag
    utility.It's not affected by other things running on the computer.
    valeofbelvoirdrinker, Mar 23, 2005