    Suggestions anybody?

    Respects

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Nov 1, 2007

  2. Mr Pounder

    Jan B Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht
    news:ZSpWi.40773$...
    > Running XP Pro.
    >
    > Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since
    > the last one.
    > Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    > I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    > I run few programs.
    >
    > Suggestions anybody?
    >
    > Respects
    >
    > Steve

    Do it in safe mode.
    --
    Jan
    Jan B, Nov 1, 2007

  3. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Running XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    >> last one.
    >> Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    >> I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    >> I run few programs.
    >>
    >> Suggestions anybody?
    >>
    >> Respects
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Do it in safe mode.
    > --
    > Jan

    Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded from
    Win '98 6months ago.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Nov 1, 2007
  4. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message

    > "Jan B" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> Running XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    >>> last one.
    >>> Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    >>> I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    >>> I run few programs.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions anybody?
    >>>
    >>> Respects
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Do it in safe mode.
    >> --
    >> Jan

    > Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    > I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded from
    > Win '98 6months ago.
    >
    > Steve

    Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to defrag again.

    Hmmm

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Mr Pounder

    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jan B" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Do it in safe mode.
    >>> --
    >>> Jan

    >> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I
    >> upgraded from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>>

    > Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to defrag
    > again.
    >
    > Hmmm
    >
    > Steve

    Hoe much free space is there on your harddisk?

    Jan B
    Jan B, Nov 1, 2007
  6. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Jan B" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in
    >>> bericht

    >>> Do it in safe mode.
    >>> --
    >>> Jan

    >> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem?
    >> I upgraded from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>>

    > Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to
    > defrag again.
    >
    > Hmmm
    >
    > Steve

    Copy all your important data onto CD/DVD's, then reformat, make
    a bunch of partitions, install your OS on C and put everything
    else elsewhere.

    Defrag problems are caused by 30 or 200 or 600 GB single
    partition drives, not anything else. I have NEVER had anything
    go wrong with a defrag in 95B or 98SE, but I have 7 partitions
    on an 8.4 GB HD and 16 on a 40 GB HD. Defragging ANY of them
    takes less than a few minutes, often under ONE minute. (The
    machine with the 8.4 GB drive is a 166MHz, too.)

    I weep for the clueless who buy a machine with one 200GB
    partition - well, maybe a small 2nd one for the so-called
    "restore" stuff (another little nightmare in itself).
    thanatoid, Nov 1, 2007
  7. Mr Pounder

    nobody > Guest

    Mr Pounder wrote:
    > Running XP Pro.
    >
    > Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    > last one.
    > Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    > I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    > I run few programs.
    >
    > Suggestions anybody?
    >
    > Respects
    >
    > Steve

    Run JkDefrag.

    Far more effective than XP's "defragger" and handles much larger
    partitions with ease (although big partitions = long times).

    http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ (author's site)
    nobody >, Nov 1, 2007
  8. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:

    >Running XP Pro.
    >
    >Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    >last one.
    >Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    >I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    >I run few programs.
    >
    >Suggestions anybody?

    What I do is run:
    ATTRIB -H -R on my drive before defragging.

    There's some question if XP will move a read only file so I do it just
    in case.
    --

    Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99
  9. Mr Pounder

    PeeCee Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro.
    >
    > Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    > last one.
    > Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    > I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    > I run few programs.
    >
    > Suggestions anybody?
    >
    > Respects
    >
    > Steve

    Steve

    Right beside the 'Analyse' button is one with 'Defrag...' on it.

    'Analyse' tells you the state of the drives fragmentation, nothing more.

    'Defrag' first analyses the drive 'then' defragments it.

    Just clicking 'Analyse' will never 'defrag' your drive.

    P.
    PeeCee, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Mr Pounder wrote:

    > Running XP Pro.
    >
    > Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    > last one.
    > Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    > I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    > I run few programs.
    >
    > Suggestions anybody?

    I don't think XP ever urges to defrag, so what are the percentages of
    fragmentation you get after a run?
    You'd want to close all programs, and (msconfig) maybe even disable
    autoruns.
    Another good thing is jkdefragcmd, it runs in the background, you can
    schedule it with at commands to run weekly at friday noon or whenever you
    want.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 1, 2007
  11. Mr Pounder

    Tony Guest

    Steve is that really you? I know you couldn't have updated to XP 6 months
    ago but it still could be you.

    Tony, Nov 2, 2007
  12. Mr Pounder

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jan B" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Do it in safe mode.
    >>> --
    >>> Jan

    >> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded
    >> from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>>

    > Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to defrag again.

    Why? it must give a reason. Try running scandisk and automatically
    fixing errors - in safe mode again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 2, 2007
  13. Mr Pounder

    BrianH¹© Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message

    (snip)
> [...]

    (snip)
    > > I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded

    from
    > > Win '98 6months ago.
    > >
    > > Steve

    Bad idea upgrading from 98, if you are in a position to do so, format and do
    a clean install of XP.
    BrianH¹©, Nov 2, 2007
  14. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr Pounder" <> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    >>> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >>> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded
    >>> from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>>

    >> Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to defrag again.
    >>
    >> Hmmm
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>>>

    > Hoe much free space is there on your harddisk?
    >
    > Jan B

    Loads.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  15. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>>
    >>> "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    >>> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >>> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem?
    >>> I upgraded from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>>

    >> Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to
    >> defrag again.
    >>
    >> Hmmm
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Copy all your important data onto CD/DVD's, then reformat, make
    > a bunch of partitions, install your OS on C and put everything
    > else elsewhere.
    >
    > Defrag problems are caused by 30 or 200 or 600 GB single
    > partition drives, not anything else. I have NEVER had anything
    > go wrong with a defrag in 95B or 98SE, but I have 7 partitions
    > on an 8.4 GB HD and 16 on a 40 GB HD. Defragging ANY of them
    > takes less than a few minutes, often under ONE minute. (The
    > machine with the 8.4 GB drive is a 166MHz, too.)
    >
    > I weep for the clueless who buy a machine with one 200GB
    > partition - well, maybe a small 2nd one for the so-called
    > "restore" stuff (another little nightmare in itself).

    Thanks for that.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  16. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    >>> Okay, thanks. I will give it a shot.
    >>> I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded
    >>> from Win '98 6months ago.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>>

    >> Just did it twice in safe mode, still being prompted to defrag again.
    >>

    > Why? it must give a reason. Try running scandisk and automatically
    > fixing errors - in safe mode again.
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    It just tells me to do it again.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  17. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "BrianH¹©" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > (snip)

    > (snip)
    >> > I thought that safe mode for defrag was a Win 98 problem? I upgraded

    > from
    >> > Win '98 6months ago.
    >> >
    >> > Steve
    >> >>

    > Bad idea upgrading from 98, if you are in a position to do so, format and
    > do
    > a clean install of XP.

    Sorry, my fault.
    New computer. I went from 98 to a custom built.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  18. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Steve is that really you? I know you couldn't have updated to XP 6 months
    > ago but it still could be you.

    My name is Steve.
    Blackpool. (ugg)

    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  19. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Pounder wrote:
    >> Running XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a while since the
    >> last one.
    >> Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools etc.
    >> I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me to do it again.
    >> I run few programs.
    >>
    >> Suggestions anybody?
    >>
    >> Respects
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Run JkDefrag.
    >
    > Far more effective than XP's "defragger" and handles much larger
    > partitions with ease (although big partitions = long times).
    >
    > http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ (author's site)

    Did it & it seemed to have done something.
    Did it again - very fast this time.
    Windows still tells me to defrag.
    HA! Sure.

    Thanks for the link, I now trust Jk.
    Appreciated.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Nov 2, 2007
  20. Mr Pounder

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in

    > "nobody >" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr Pounder wrote:
    >>> Running XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Thought that I would do a defrag...........it has been a
    >>> while since the last one.
    >>> Analyse tell to defrag........ Accessories, system tools
    >>> etc. I have done so, twice; but Analyse keeps telling me
    >>> to do it again. I run few programs.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions anybody?
    >>>
    >>> Respects
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Run JkDefrag.
    >>
    >> Far more effective than XP's "defragger" and handles much
    >> larger partitions with ease (although big partitions =
    >> long times).
    >>
    >> http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ (author's site)

    > Did it & it seemed to have done something.
    > Did it again - very fast this time.
    > Windows still tells me to defrag.
    > HA! Sure.
    >
    > Thanks for the link, I now trust Jk.
    > Appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    Just curious, it's a little unclear, are you saying that this
    JKDefrag DID work OK? Because if so, then I am obviously wrong
    and it's just that neither MS nor Intel are capable of writing a
    good defragger.

    I can't try it since I run older Windows, and as you know I have
    no problems, but I *AM* curious. Thanks.
    thanatoid, Nov 3, 2007