    Is this normal?

    Thank you gentlemen

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, May 31, 2007

  2. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:

    >New to XP pro.
    >Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    >When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    >Diskeeper Lite.
    >
    >Is this normal?

    Seems so
    "In fact, several times it has disabled both the Windows defrag and
    Diskeeper Lite. For this reason, I strongly caution against using
    Diskeeper Lite with XP. "
    http://tinyurl.com/p4jdd

    Start | Run <type in>
    DEFRAG /?
    <enter>

    should get you to the default defrag program
    --

    http://jesuspan.com/
    , May 31, 2007

  3. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:
    >
    >>New to XP pro.
    >>Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    >>When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    >>Diskeeper Lite.
    >>
    >>Is this normal?

    > Seems so
    > "In fact, several times it has disabled both the Windows defrag and
    > Diskeeper Lite. For this reason, I strongly caution against using
    > Diskeeper Lite with XP. "
    > http://tinyurl.com/p4jdd
    >

    > Start | Run <type in>
    > DEFRAG /?
    > <enter>
    >
    > should get you to the default defrag program
    > --
    >
    > http://jesuspan.com/

    All I get is the black Doss thingee which just sits there......... 0 %
    fragmentation.

    Thanks anyway

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, May 31, 2007
  4. Mr Pounder

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:29 -0700, wrote:

    >Start | Run <type in>
    >DEFRAG /?
    ><enter>
    >
    >should get you to the default defrag program

    It will.. For about half a second. :)
    Evan Platt, May 31, 2007
  5. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>New to XP pro.
    >>>Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    >>>When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    >>>Diskeeper Lite.
    >>>
    >>>Is this normal?

    >> Seems so
    >> "In fact, several times it has disabled both the Windows defrag and
    >> Diskeeper Lite. For this reason, I strongly caution against using
    >> Diskeeper Lite with XP. "
    >> http://tinyurl.com/p4jdd
    >>

    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> DEFRAG /?
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> should get you to the default defrag program

    >All I get is the black Doss thingee which just sits there......... 0 %
    >fragmentation.
    >
    >Thanks anyway

    just in case:

    The command DEFRAG /? is just a help file, to show how to run the
    command.

    DEFRAG C: or DEFRAG C:\ will start the defrag
    (I don't want to start a defrag, so the two choices)
    --

    http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ohsnap.gif
    , May 31, 2007
  6. Mr Pounder

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:29 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Start | Run <type in>
    >>DEFRAG /?
    >><enter>
    >>
    >>should get you to the default defrag program

    >It will.. For about half a second. :)

    It worked for me - I tested before the post.

    Then following a story http://tinyurl.com/25m47q
    Went to http://www.warriorsforinnoooocence.org/ by mistake (it
    installs tracking malware)

    Now the command won't work and I'm running AVG spyware :)

    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K DEFRAG /?
    <enter>
    This works...
    --

    http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ohsnap.gif
    , May 31, 2007
  7. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Seems so
    >>> "In fact, several times it has disabled both the Windows defrag and
    >>> Diskeeper Lite. For this reason, I strongly caution against using
    >>> Diskeeper Lite with XP. "
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/p4jdd
    >>>

    >>> Start | Run <type in>
    >>> DEFRAG /?
    >>> <enter>
    >>>
    >>> should get you to the default defrag program

    >>All I get is the black Doss thingee which just sits there......... 0 %
    >>fragmentation.
    >>
    >>Thanks anyway

    > just in case:
    >
    > The command DEFRAG /? is just a help file, to show how to run the
    > command.
    >
    > DEFRAG C: or DEFRAG C:\ will start the defrag
    > (I don't want to start a defrag, so the two choices)

    Nope

    Same black dialog box with the curser flashing.
    I managed to read Executive software before the box kicked out.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, May 31, 2007
  8. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:29 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Start | Run <type in>
    >>DEFRAG /?
    >><enter>
    >>
    >>should get you to the default defrag program

    > It will.. For about half a second. :)

    Yes, for about 4 seconds

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, May 31, 2007
  9. Mr Pounder

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 13:44:08 -0700, wrote:

    >>It will.. For about half a second. :)

    >It worked for me - I tested before the post.
    >
    >Then following a story http://tinyurl.com/25m47q
    >Went to http://www.warriorsforinnoooocence.org/ by mistake (it
    >installs tracking malware)
    >
    >Now the command won't work and I'm running AVG spyware :)
    >
    >Start | Run <type in>
    >CMD /K DEFRAG /?
    ><enter>
    >This works...

    Hmm... Must be a setting somewhere. As soon as I run any DOS command
    if I do it via start, run, it runs then closes the window.
    Evan Platt, May 31, 2007
  10. Evan Platt wrote:

    >Hmm... Must be a setting somewhere. As soon as I run any DOS command
    >if I do it via start, run, it runs then closes the window.

    CMD.exe

    Start a new CMD shell

    Syntax
    CMD [charset] [options] [My_Command]

    /C Carries out My_Command and then terminates
    /K Carries out My_Command but remains

    Use the /k switch - make sure you also type CMD just like pennywise

    cmd /k defrag /?
    Clancy Wiggum, May 31, 2007
  11. Mr Pounder

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:32:12 -0500, Clancy Wiggum <>
    wrote:

    >CMD.exe
    >
    >Start a new CMD shell
    >
    >Syntax
    > CMD [charset] [options] [My_Command]

    > /C Carries out My_Command and then terminates
    > /K Carries out My_Command but remains
    >
    >Use the /k switch - make sure you also type CMD just like pennywise
    >said:
    >
    >cmd /k defrag /?

    Yeah, I know how to get to a dos prompt, thanks.

    Just wondering what the setting is to keep the dos window open so when
    you do say start, run, defrag <enter>, it keeps the window open.
    Evan Platt, May 31, 2007
  12. Mr Pounder

    Stara Suka Guest

    Did you go into Control Panel?Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the
    crap program yet?

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:29 -0700,
    wrote:
    : >
    : >>Start | Run <type in>
    : >>DEFRAG /?
    : >><enter>
    : >>
    : >>should get you to the default defrag program
    : >
    : > It will.. For about half a second. :)
    :
    : Yes, for about 4 seconds
    :
    : Steve
    : > --
    : > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    :
    :
    Stara Suka, May 31, 2007
  13. Evan Platt wrote:

    >Yeah, I know how to get to a dos prompt, thanks.
    >
    >Just wondering what the setting is to keep the dos window open so when
    >you do say start, run, defrag <enter>, it keeps the window open.

    I don't understand. If you invoke defrag with the command "cmd" in
    front of the program "defrag" and use the /k switch - it will stay
    open. If you just type "defrag" in the 'run' dialog it won't work.
    Clancy Wiggum, May 31, 2007
  14. Mr Pounder

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    > New to XP pro.
    > Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    > When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    > Diskeeper Lite.
    >
    > Is this normal?

    So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it.
    Could be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work:
    Diskeeper lite replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment
    variable got changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless
    you specify the entire path to it, they added a redirect in the
    registry, they leave something continually running in memory that
    interferes with the original version, and so on.

    Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another means
    they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to their own
    standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in another way so
    each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just use ONE!

    Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
    Pennywise? You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
    disabled? Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
    even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you get
    from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported. Some
    download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old unsupported
    flaky versions, so be leery of someplace that simply archives
    everything. If you go to
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date is
    5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive Software®
    International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave up on it years
    ago (too long to remember why).

    If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.
    Vanguard, Jun 1, 2007
  15. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >> New to XP pro.
    >> Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    >> When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    >> Diskeeper Lite.
    >>
    >> Is this normal?

    > So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it. Could
    > be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work: Diskeeper lite
    > replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment variable got
    > changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless you specify the
    > entire path to it, they added a redirect in the registry, they leave
    > something continually running in memory that interferes with the original
    > version, and so on.

    I did not say that I did not want to use Diskeeper Lite.

    > Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another means
    > they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to their own
    > standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in another way so
    > each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just use ONE!
    >
    > Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
    > Pennywise?

    Yes, but it was too late.

    You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
    > disabled?

    Too late.

    Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
    > even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you get
    > from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported. Some
    > download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old unsupported flaky
    > versions, so be leery of someplace that simply archives everything. If
    > you go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date
    > is 5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive
    > Software® International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave up on
    > it years ago (too long to remember why).
    >
    > If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.

    IObit seems to be okay.

    Thanks

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, Jun 1, 2007
  16. Mr Pounder

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mr Pounder" <> wrote in message
    >>> New to XP pro.
    >>> Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
    >>> When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
    >>> Diskeeper Lite.
    >>>
    >>> Is this normal?

    >> So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it.
    >> Could be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work:
    >> Diskeeper lite replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment
    >> variable got changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless
    >> you specify the entire path to it, they added a redirect in the
    >> registry, they leave something continually running in memory that
    >> interferes with the original version, and so on.

    > I did not say that I did not want to use Diskeeper Lite.
    >>
    >> Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another
    >> means they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to
    >> their own standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in
    >> another way so each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just
    >> use ONE!
    >>
    >> Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
    >> Pennywise?

    > Yes, but it was too late.
    >
    > You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
    >> disabled?

    > Too late.
    >
    > Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
    >> even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you
    >> get from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported.
    >> Some download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old
    >> unsupported flaky versions, so be leery of someplace that simply
    >> archives everything. If you go to
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date is
    >> 5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive
    >> Software® International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave
    >> up on it years ago (too long to remember why).
    >>
    >> If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.

    > IObit seems to be okay.

    Uninstalling Diskeeper didn't get MS defrag working again? Yikes.
    Vanguard, Jun 2, 2007