    some way to get it in a sort of mode where nothing else is running. Would
    you mind repeating it.
    Saskie
    saskie, Jan 6, 2005

  2. saskie

    samuel Guest

    samuel, Jan 7, 2005

  3. saskie

    Michael Guest

    "samuel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "saskie" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I asked this question before and got a brilliant answer
    > > however I do not remember. My machine will not defrag; it
    > > keeps starting over; there was some way to get it in a sort of
    > > mode where nothing else is running. Would you mind repeating
    > > it. Saskie

    Desktop......ctrl-alt-del......end task, everything except explorer and
    systray........start defrag. The same proceedure also works for scandisk.

    TIP: pause between each press of ctrl-alt-del and don't press once the End
    Task/ Close box appears otherwise it will restart the PC and you have to
    repeat all over again. you have to repeat for each item in the list
    (remember to leave explorer and systray alone ) Some items may need
    repeating twice to end task or close. I have to press up to 4 times before
    the box appears.
    Michael, Jan 7, 2005
  4. "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "samuel" <> wrote in message
    >> "saskie" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I asked this question before and got a brilliant answer
    >> > however I do not remember. My machine will not defrag; it
    >> > keeps starting over; there was some way to get it in a sort of
    >> > mode where nothing else is running. Would you mind repeating
    >> > it. Saskie

    > Desktop......ctrl-alt-del......end task, everything except explorer and
    > systray........start defrag. The same proceedure also works for scandisk.
    >
    > TIP: pause between each press of ctrl-alt-del and don't press once the End
    > Task/ Close box appears otherwise it will restart the PC and you have to
    > repeat all over again. you have to repeat for each item in the list
    > (remember to leave explorer and systray alone ) Some items may need
    > repeating twice to end task or close. I have to press up to 4 times before
    > the box appears.

    In addition to what Michael has told you, right click on the desktop, go
    to properties and on the screen saver tab set your screen saver to "none",
    click apply.
    PJ
    The Black Laced One, Jan 7, 2005
  5. saskie

    o. phooey Guest

    o. phooey, Jan 7, 2005
  6. saskie

    saskie Guest

    Thank you all for your replies; defrag and scan disk done very quickly. All
    is well in the computer clean up .
    Thanks, Saskie

    saskie, Jan 7, 2005
  7. saskie

    Kenneth Guest

    On 7 Jan 2005 09:28:13 -0800, "o. phooey" <>
    wrote:

    >Or you could just use this nifty tool ("end it all") b4 defrag, &/or
    >scandisk.
    >You close all those things down at once (except explorer& systray).
    >Grab it here. Cheers
    >http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

    Howdy,

    I will add that I used EndItAll for years, then, for some
    reason it re-booted the system when I ran it.

    I had to give up on EndItAll.

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth