    I've have always been told not to use the defrag that comes with windows,
    could anyone shed some light on this? Aren't defrag programs all the same
    basically, with just different looks?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZ2VyTWFu?=, Sep 14, 2005

  2. I found one:
    http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleanerPro.html

    The Registry is a heart and soul of any Windows system. It contains
    information that controls how your Windows appears and how it behaves. Most
    applications today use registry to store configuration and other important
    data. When you install an application, a new registry entries will be
    created. This entries will automatically be deleted when you uninstall the
    application. Unfortunately, it is not always work that way. Sometimes, you
    will find that some applications fail to remove their own registry entries.
    This entry will become obsolete.
    After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of
    applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of obsolete
    entries. This will significantly increase the registry size and thus will
    slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search,
    and read data from registry.

    To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to periodically
    clean your Windows registry.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 14, 2005

  3. There is a OODefrag on PlanetAMD64, comes along with favorable wording.
    Don't use it myself as I am reasonably happy with the MS that is built in.
    No reason I can think of for not using it, unless you have special needs
    regarding configurability, sorting and stuff. Also, the default is not any
    speed demon, but whatever you chose I think you'll find it takes too long.

    Of course, they are all different in some aspects, but they are doing the
    same work and to my knowledge they are all built around recursive algorithms
    and the things you can do with that sort would be limited. As an included
    item, MS is not likely to put 1000 extra man-hours into polishing something
    that, after all, is working.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 14, 2005
  4. I'm using O&O Defrag for x64, and I can confirm that it works fine under
    x64.

    Jean-Baptiste Faure, Sep 14, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZ2VyTWFu?=

    Al Edlund Guest

    I'm very happy with the oodefrag,
    al

    Al Edlund, Sep 14, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZ2VyTWFu?=

    zekolas Guest

    BongerMan wrote:
    > Anyone know of any good 3rd party defraggers that support xp64? Or how about
    > a good registry cleaner?
    >
    > I've have always been told not to use the defrag that comes with windows,
    > could anyone shed some light on this? Aren't defrag programs all the same
    > basically, with just different looks?

    As far as disk defragmenter programs, I wouldn't bother with 3rd party
    tools. Google around and you will see 3rd party defragmenters vs windows
    defragmenter only improves performace about 1-2% in disk access, what is
    really not noticable. I mean can you tell that it takes windows 12
    seconds to load vs 12.7 seconds?

    zekolas, Sep 14, 2005
  7. "zekolas" <> wrote in message
    > BongerMan wrote:
    >> Anyone know of any good 3rd party defraggers that support xp64? Or how
    >> about a good registry cleaner?
    >>
    >> I've have always been told not to use the defrag that comes with windows,
    >> could anyone shed some light on this? Aren't defrag programs all the
    >> same basically, with just different looks?

    > As far as disk defragmenter programs, I wouldn't bother with 3rd party
    > tools. Google around and you will see 3rd party defragmenters vs windows
    > defragmenter only improves performace about 1-2% in disk access, what is
    > really not noticable. I mean can you tell that it takes windows 12 seconds
    > to load vs 12.7 seconds?

    Does the inbuilt defrag software from Microsoft defrag pagefiles? Or are
    3rd party defrag software better at doing that?

    William Walker

    William Walker, Sep 15, 2005
  8. BongerMan wrote:
    > Anyone know of any good 3rd party defraggers that support xp64?

    No need, the built-in defragger is perfectly adequate for most purposes.

    > Or how about
    > a good registry cleaner?

    No such thing, to the best of my knowledge. There's certainly no need
    to ever use one on WinXP.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    > I've have always been told not to use the defrag that comes with windows,
    > could anyone shed some light on this?

    You'll have to ask whomever offered that absurd advice for his/her reasons.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 15, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of
    > applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of obsolete
    > entries. This will significantly increase the registry size and thus will
    > slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search,
    > and read data from registry.

    Please provide independent laboratory documentation to support that claim.

    > To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to periodically
    > clean your Windows registry.

    Only by people who are selling registry cleaners, or who don't know any
    better.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 15, 2005
  10. "William Walker" <> wrote in message

    > "zekolas" <> wrote in message
    >> BongerMan wrote:
    >>> Anyone know of any good 3rd party defraggers that support xp64? Or how
    >>> about a good registry cleaner?
    >>>
    >>> I've have always been told not to use the defrag that comes with
    >>> windows, could anyone shed some light on this? Aren't defrag programs
    >>> all the same basically, with just different looks?

    >> As far as disk defragmenter programs, I wouldn't bother with 3rd party
    >> tools. Google around and you will see 3rd party defragmenters vs windows
    >> defragmenter only improves performace about 1-2% in disk access, what is
    >> really not noticable. I mean can you tell that it takes windows 12
    >> seconds to load vs 12.7 seconds?

    > Does the inbuilt defrag software from Microsoft defrag pagefiles? Or are
    > 3rd party defrag software better at doing that?

    No, it does not. I can also not think of any reason to use such a facility,
    as all space inside the file that is not currently used by any running
    process, will be regarded as 'empty', and overwritten - thus,
    defragmentation is of no consequence other than hypothetically. Note, as
    well, that no data is ever stored in the pagefile - only code. Much more
    serious is the inabillity to move system files and to move and sort
    directories - that might well be a useful feature, and of a kind you'll have
    to pay for.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 15, 2005
  11. I'm with you on this, Bruce. No known reason why anyone would ever use these
    things.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64