    Cleaned out all junk files before defrag. Computer was fine before
    defrag.
    Running windows98 on a pc.

    keexer, Oct 7, 2004

  2. keexer

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "keexer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After defrag computer drags.
    > Virus scan negative.
    > Scandisk negative.
    > System file checker negative
    > Every other damage check is negative
    > Half my HD is free so space not problem
    > Cleaned out all junk files before defrag. Computer was fine before
    > defrag.
    > Running windows98 on a pc.

    Reinstall Windows over itself and see if that helps.

    Mark Mandell, Oct 7, 2004

  3. keexer

    taltos Guest

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "keexer" <> wrote in message
    >> After defrag computer drags.
    >> Virus scan negative.
    >> Scandisk negative.
    >> System file checker negative
    >> Every other damage check is negative
    >> Half my HD is free so space not problem
    >> Cleaned out all junk files before defrag. Computer was fine before
    >> defrag.
    >> Running windows98 on a pc.

    > Reinstall Windows over itself and see if that helps.
    >There is also a very good defrag program that is independent of Windows
    >called Diskeeper. Top rated by PC Magazine. Use it with both W98 and

    XP. Works very well. You can find it on sale at Comp USA or Staples for
    around $50 USD. Good luck Paul

    taltos, Oct 7, 2004
  4. keexer

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:02:58 GMT, (keexer) wrote:

    >After defrag computer drags.
    >Virus scan negative.
    >Scandisk negative.
    >System file checker negative
    >Every other damage check is negative
    >Half my HD is free so space not problem
    >Cleaned out all junk files before defrag. Computer was fine before
    >defrag.
    >Running windows98 on a pc.

    Besides a defrag, Win98 defrag also does a consolidation. Its the
    consolidation that's slowing things down. As you probably noticed,
    things will speed up (a few days ?) later. That's because you've now
    got holes on the drive again...that can be written to much faster than
    always going to the end of the data on the disk.

    You can get a defrag program that allows you to bypass any
    consolidation if you so desire.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 8, 2004
  5. keexer

    EnJay Guest

    It might be an idea to try to do it in safe mode. Failing that your better
    option would be yo change to XP. I did and it was definitely the wisest
    choice I ever made.

    HTH

    EnJay, Oct 8, 2004