    Compaq Presario 5441

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony Borgosano, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Tony Borgosano

    Boomer Guest

    Tony Borgosano, <> wrote:

    > Tried to defrag, but it keeps on restarting, and will only
    > complete up to 50%. I don't have anything running in the
    > background.

    You must have something running or else your computer wouldn't be
    showing anything on the screen.
    What's running when you bring up the Task Manager?

    http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/software/defrag.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chtsr.htm

    Boomer, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Try running it in Safe Mode. May well then run all the way through.

    Cathy

    ("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Tony Borgosano

    Steven Guest

    power defrag at :
    http://www.e-technik.com/
    i think starts the system up in minimal mode (youll see what i mean when
    using it) making no other program restart it
    it allso supports scandisk

    Steve

    Steven, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Tony Borgosano

    MayB Guest

    "Tony Borgosano" <> wrote in message
    > Tried to defrag, but it keeps on restarting, and will only complete

    up to
    > 50%. I don't have anything running in the background.
    >
    > Windows 98 second edition.
    > Compaq Presario 5441
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tony

    Though you think nothing is running in the background, be assured that
    your screen saver and wallpaper are both running. Go to
    Settings/Control Panel/Display\Background and change to (none).
    Likewise change Screen Saver to (none). That will fix your problem.

    MayB, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Tony Borgosano

    Boomer Guest

    "MayB" <MayB@socalNOT_THIS.rr.com> wrote in

    > "Tony Borgosano" <> wrote in message
    >> Tried to defrag, but it keeps on restarting, and will only
    >> complete

    > up to
    >> 50%. I don't have anything running in the background.
    >>
    >> Windows 98 second edition.
    >> Compaq Presario 5441
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tony
    >>

    > Though you think nothing is running in the background, be assured
    > that your screen saver and wallpaper are both running.

    You know this person?

    Boomer, Jan 7, 2004
  7. "Cathy Friedmann" <> wrote in message
    > Try running it in Safe Mode. May well then run all the way through.

    Thanks! The safe mode worked.

    Tony

    Tony Borgosano, Jan 7, 2004
  8. "Tony Borgosano" <> wrote in message

    > "Cathy Friedmann" <> wrote in message
    > > Try running it in Safe Mode. May well then run all the way through.

    > Thanks! The safe mode worked.

    Good; you're welcome.

    Cathy Friedmann, Jan 7, 2004