    observing for about four hours, I shut it off (cancel).
    Anyone have any ideas on this? Running ME with an old 486 with a Cyrillix
    chip. Thanks. Dell.
    wendell taylor, Dec 18, 2003

  2. wendell taylor

    pmelissakis Guest

    Hi Wendal. Probably you have a program running in background.
    Disable any virus checker, etc befor runnibg defrag

    Pete

    "wendell taylor" <> wrote in message
    : My scheduled defrag. is set up for 2:55 AM every Wednesday
    starting June
    : 18/03. Last was 2:55 am on Dec.17/03. Next is 2:55 am on Dec.
    24/03.
    : Problem: about every two days or so when I look in at the computer
    (it's on
    : but offline), the little red light is flashing away. I bring up
    the monitor
    : and a box says it is defraging.
    : But it goes 1% complete, then 2% complete, then it goes back to 0%
    complete.
    : When you go to "see Details", the screen is just white with no
    little
    : coloured squares going back and forth. This goes on forever so
    after
    : observing for about four hours, I shut it off (cancel).
    : Anyone have any ideas on this? Running ME with an old 486 with a
    Cyrillix
    : chip. Thanks. Dell.
    :
    :
    pmelissakis, Dec 18, 2003

  3. wendell taylor

    trout Guest

    wendell taylor wrote:

    > My scheduled defrag. is set up for 2:55 AM every Wednesday starting
    > June 18/03. Last was 2:55 am on Dec.17/03. Next is 2:55 am on Dec.
    > 24/03. Problem: about every two days or so when I look in at the
    > computer (it's on but offline), the little red light is flashing
    > away. I bring up the monitor and a box says it is defraging.
    > But it goes 1% complete, then 2% complete, then it goes back to 0%
    > complete. When you go to "see Details", the screen is just white with
    > no little coloured squares going back and forth. This goes on forever
    > so after observing for about four hours, I shut it off (cancel).
    > Anyone have any ideas on this? Running ME with an old 486 with a
    > Cyrillix chip. Thanks. Dell.

    Defragging as a "maintenance" item tends to be problematic. You must
    ensure that *nothing* else is running, or enquires whether it *may* run,
    during the procedure. Nothing else working in background; no A/V, no
    screen-saver, etc.
    You'd probably be better-off doing this manually. Particularly, if
    it's been a while since one completed; it *could* take four hours, or
    more. Alot the time to be positive it can run without interruption; and
    then go do something else.
    --
    "In 'safe mode', if necessary."
    trout, Dec 18, 2003