    I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    fragmented ?
    , Aug 3, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    > I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    > fragmented ?

    received wisdom is that a fragmented HD slows everthing down.
    Mike O'Sullivan, Aug 3, 2005

  3. GraB Guest

    On 3 Aug 2005 02:09:30 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    >I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    >fragmented ?

    Not of your burner software is caching files first, or if buffer
    underrun protection if enabled.
    GraB, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Dan P. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    > I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    > fragmented ?

    Well I know hard drive sector errors can cause DVD burns to fail. When I
    first got my DVD burner, I went through many coasters before I finally found
    the problem. I had to land up downloading a utility that I boot up from CD
    to do a deep scan of my hard drive. It fixed my hard drive errors, and then
    my DVD burning problems went away.

    Another thing that can affect DVD burning speed is whether you have DMA
    enabled on both your hard drive and DVD drive(s). Go to your hardware
    properties of each device (hard drives, dvd drives) and verify DMA is
    enabled. If it doesn't stay enabled or the option is greyed out for your
    hard drive, it means you probably do have hard drive errors. Windows has a
    feature where it auto-disables DMA on a drive if it receives too many
    errors. There's a registry fix for it...but I don't remember the exact key
    to change.

    Dan
    Dan P., Aug 3, 2005
  5. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:09:30 -0700, wrote:

    > Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    > I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    > fragmented ?

    It's more important if you have a system which just meets the requirement
    for a DVD burner. In this case logic would seem to dictate you want every
    single bit of speed you can find. OTOH, if you have a slow burner and the
    rest of your system is reasonably fast then it's not much of an issue.
    Depending on the OS you are running on your machine you may not have to
    worry about a fragmented hard drive. At least some of the PC *NIXs
    defragment in the background so it's likely the hard drives on these
    machines should have little fragmentation. I'm not sure about Mac OS X
    (I'm still at System 8 & 9). I'm pretty sure most M$ systems require
    manual defragmentation. As I hinted earlier, it makes the most difference
    on slower systems. On a faster system the improvement may not be noticed.

    Later
    Mike
    The Wizard of Oz, Aug 3, 2005
  6. On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:32:28 +1200, GraB <>
    wrote:

    >On 3 Aug 2005 02:09:30 -0700, ""
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >>
    >>I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    >>fragmented ?

    >Not of your burner software is caching files first, or if buffer
    >underrun protection if enabled.

    It depends on how fragmented the drive is, how good your
    controller is, whether you are multitasking, if your sw caches
    everything and then burns, how fast your CPU is, and ...

    Short answer - maybe, but probably not.

    Longer answers available at prevailing rates.
    George Shouse, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Darth Tater Guest

    Definitely. Keep it defragmented if you want a good burn.

    Darth Tater, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Netmask Guest

    If you are dealing with large video or audio files the answer is yes yes
    yes. If you have a large image file that is scattered across your hard disk
    then there is the possibility of errors, also there is an added finite time
    for the heads to scan all the bits. If you can afford it I would recommend
    using PerfectDisk v 7 as your defrag program. It is endorsed by Microsoft
    and does a better job than the built in program. Also it arranges files so
    that over time you won't have to defrag as often.

    Netzestadt

    Netmask, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Guest

    I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
    just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
    another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
    new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
    over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
    gone.

    On 3 Aug 2005 02:09:30 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    >I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard disk is very
    >fragmented ?
    , Aug 6, 2005
  10. Smarty Guest

    Gay Californian.....

    The original post asked about "defrag" of hard disk......NOT "defag" of hard
    disk.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Aug 6, 2005
  11. Billy Joe Guest

    > Does this make a great deal of difference when burning DVDs ?
    >
    > I.e. Is this likely to cause you burn problems if the Hard
    > disk is very fragmented ?

    Is your burner software showing buffer under-run? Is there any indication
    that your possibly 7200 rpm IDE HDD is performing more slowly than your 4x
    or 8x DVD burner?

    Hell man, I have ROTM USB2/1394 burners that have no problem burning from a
    7200 rpm IDE drive while capturing 12 mbps video in a 2gp4-512 box to a
    different drive!!

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Aug 7, 2005
  12. Guest

    Depending on the amount of free space you have on your drive and the
    number of contiguous sectors available a defrag of the drive will be
    either - a very very good thing or a - well that was a complete waste
    of 6 hours.

    Having the files to be burnt to a cd or dvd in fragmented chunks will
    mean much higher disk access and potentially slow things down enough
    that the buffering is insufficient.

    There are a couple of defrag utilities that do a more intelligent job
    than the windows utility.

    If you are doing a lot of video processing I would install a second
    drive just as a work drive for projects. Erase the contents when
    starting a new project and defrag before compiling the dvd.
    , Aug 9, 2005
  13. HawkCW4 Guest

    wrote:
    > I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
    > just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
    > another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
    > new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
    > over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
    > gone.

    If I might, could I ask that you buy at least 250GB HDs in the future
    and then when you toss them, I will furnish you a shipping address. I
    would be happy to pay the shipping and there will be no charge in
    disposing of your trash. TNX

    Ed

    HawkCW4, Aug 25, 2005