    sufficient access rights to the file. "

    I have already reinstalled Windows.
    Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this message.
    RR, Dec 17, 2009

  2. RR wrote:
    > after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install,
    > defrag is not working.
    >
    > Error message is as follows:
    >
    > "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc. This may be
    > because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
    > created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not
    > have sufficient access rights to the file. "
    >
    > I have already reinstalled Windows. Of all the years of working with
    > computers I have never seen this message.

    I don't have that file anywhere (Win7 Ultimate x64) and my native
    defragger works fine. The MS defrag program I have is dfrgui.exe

    --
    Crash

    "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
    ~ W. Edwards Deming ~
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 18, 2009

  3. RR

    TEKMATE Guest

    Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
    it.
    Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
    defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
    this doesn't answer any your questions though.

    --
    TEKMATE
    TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in
    TEKMATE, Dec 18, 2009
  4. RR

    Tom Guest

    "RR" <> wrote in message
    > after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag
    > is
    > not working.
    >
    > Error message is as follows:
    >
    > "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
    > This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
    > created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
    > sufficient access rights to the file. "
    >
    > I have already reinstalled Windows.
    > Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this
    > message.

    Which operating system, XP, Vista or Win7?

    XP, click Start/Programs/Administrative Tools you should see that there

    Vista and Win7, you can simply right on C: (or your system drive letter)
    after opening My Computer and choose to defrag from there. Or Click
    Start/Help and Support and type defrag in the search field, and you get a
    help box with the defrag link in it.
    Tom, Dec 18, 2009
  5. TEKMATE wrote:
    > Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
    > it.
    > Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
    > defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
    > this doesn't answer any your questions though.

    I do I disable it? (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

    --
    Crash

    "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
    ~ Yogi Berra ~
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 18, 2009
  6. RR

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> TEKMATE
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
    >it.

    If by "constantly defragging" you mean "Defrags once a week, but only
    when the computer isn't in use" then you're correct.

    >Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled.

    Umm, no. Vista is good (and W7 is better) at backing off when there is
    user activity, so during the actual defrag there shouldn't be any
    noticeable performance loss during the defragmentation.

    The rest of the time you may see a performance increase or you may not,
    it really depends on the way you use your system and your hardware
    whether fragmentation would have caused a performance hit or not.
    Dave Warren, Dec 19, 2009
  7. RR

    Tom Guest

    "TEKMATE" <> wrote in message

    > Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
    > it.
    > Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
    > defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
    > this doesn't answer any your questions though.
    >

    > --
    > TEKMATE
    > TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm
    > View this thread:
    > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/1283627.htm
    >
    > http://forums.techarena.in

    Defrag never runs constantly, only when it's set to run. If there is user
    activity happening, it won't run.

    One's PC running faster has nothing to do with the Windows defrag program,
    but is has totally everything to do with what one's PC has running at
    startup and how much RAM and high end hardware they have to be able to run
    Vista and Win7.
    Tom, Dec 19, 2009
  8. RR

    John Barnes Guest

    Which OS are you running. Where in the system do you get this message? Can
    you open an elevated command prompt and run 'defrag /C' no quotes and the
    drive letter you want to defrag.

    John Barnes, Dec 20, 2009
  9. RR

    John Barnes Guest