    wrong ones.? Also, where do I find the 'wizard' that checks out my computer?

    I'm a bit of a neophyte.

    thanks, Perila
    bangs, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Hi P,

    Although others may, and probably will, disagree, I would suggest investing
    in a copy of Norton tools and use that to "clean" things up and check out
    your computer. It has a nice friendly user interface and will give you lots
    of help.

    As to deleting .tmp files, again, I may provoke disagreement, but if you
    aren't running any programs at the time, I would say, just delete any .tmp
    files that you want. The system will stop you deleting any .tmp files in use
    at the time.

    bangs wrote:
    :: Hi - I have a Sony notebook - ME opertg. system although I will be
    :: upgrading soon to XP -
    :: In the meantime, I'd like to clean up what I have right now.
    ::
    :: How do I 'defrag' ? Also, how do I remove .tmp files without
    :: removing the wrong ones.? Also, where do I find the 'wizard' that
    :: checks out my computer?
    ::
    :: I'm a bit of a neophyte.
    ::
    :: thanks, Perila

    ---
    eric the seal, Feb 24, 2004

  3. bangs

    gary Guest

    I had to defrag once on someones advice, what does it do? & when is a
    situation that i'd need to do it?

    gary, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Defrag moves the stuff around on your hard disk so it can be accessed more
    quickly. Bit like emptying out all your kitchen cabinets and then putting
    things back in sensible places rather than the first place they would fit..

    gary wrote:
    :: I had to defrag once on someones advice, what does it do? & when is a
    :: situation that i'd need to do it?
    ::
    :: eric the seal <> wrote in message
    :: news:...
    ::: Hi P,
    :::
    ::: bangs wrote:
    ::::: Hi - I have a Sony notebook - ME opertg. system although I will be
    ::::: upgrading soon to XP -
    ::::: In the meantime, I'd like to clean up what I have right now.
    :::::
    ::::: How do I 'defrag' ? Also, how do I remove .tmp files without
    ::::: removing the wrong ones.? Also, where do I find the 'wizard' that
    ::::: checks out my computer?
    :::::
    ::::: I'm a bit of a neophyte.
    :::::
    ::::: thanks, Perila
    :::
    :::
    ::: ---

    ---
    eric the seal, Feb 24, 2004
  5. bangs

    Brian H¹© Guest

    eric the seal said:

    > Defrag moves the stuff around on your hard disk so it can be accessed more
    > quickly. Bit like emptying out all your kitchen cabinets and then putting
    > things back in sensible places rather than the first place they would fit..

    I would liken it more to doing a jig-saw puzzle, but that's just *another*
    description ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Feb 24, 2004
  6. bangs

    °Mike° Guest