    Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    name.
    Leroy, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Leroy wrote:

    > I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    > however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    > I correct in saying this?

    No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
    includes Tescos etc.
    Just Another Digital Fan, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Leroy

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Leroy wrote:
    > I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what it
    > the definition of a public place/space?
    >
    > I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    > however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    > I correct in saying this?
    >
    > Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    > owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    > name.

    Hi Leroy...

    Here you go :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Leroy

    Alex Heney Guest

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:17:51 -0000, "Leroy" <>
    wrote:

    >I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what it
    >the definition of a public place/space?

    It depends on the purpose/activity.

    There is no single overriding definition.

    >I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    >however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    >I correct in saying this?
    >
    >Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    >owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    >name.

    What is the activity you are interested in?
    --
    Alex Heney, Global Villager
    Both of his feet are firmly planted in the air.
    Alex Heney, Oct 29, 2006
  5. On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:32:09 -0800, Just Another Digital Fan wrote:

    > Leroy wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    >> however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    >> I correct in saying this?

    > No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
    > includes Tescos etc.

    Not in the United States. Even restaurants and bars are NOT public spaces
    under the law even though they are frequented by the public. Those
    establishments as well as others similar can, under the law, refuse
    to admit you or serve you or bodily expel you, if you refuse to leave, as
    long as the reason for excluding or expelling you is not on account of
    race, creed, gender or national origin.

    Stef
    Stefan Patric, Oct 29, 2006
  6. "Just Another Digital Fan" <> wrote:
    >Leroy wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    >> however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    >> I correct in saying this?

    >No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
    >includes Tescos etc.

    The public has access to private businesses, but that is emphatically
    *not* a "public" area.

    It pretty much has to be owned by the "public" as well as open to
    the public. Hence, government owned.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Leroy

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message
    > Leroy wrote:
    >> I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what
    >> it the definition of a public place/space?
    >>
    >> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
    >> space, however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately
    >> owned. Am I correct in saying this?
    >>
    >> Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    >> owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    >> name.

    > Hi Leroy...
    >
    > Here you go :)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place

    Not acceptable as an authoratative source on anything.
    M.I.5¾, Oct 30, 2006
  8. Leroy

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Just Another Digital Fan" <> wrote in message

    > Leroy wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
    >> space,
    >> however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned.
    >> Am
    >> I correct in saying this?

    > No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
    > includes Tescos etc.

    Nope. Tesco is private property. They can deny entry to whomsoever they
    chose - and frequently do.
    M.I.5¾, Oct 30, 2006
  9. Leroy

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Alex Heney" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:17:51 -0000, "Leroy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what
    >>it
    >>the definition of a public place/space?

    > It depends on the purpose/activity.
    >
    > There is no single overriding definition.
    >

    >>I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
    >>space,
    >>however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned.
    >>Am
    >>I correct in saying this?
    >>
    >>Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    >>owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    >>name.
    >>

    > What is the activity you are interested in?

    Just a shot in the dark, but since this was cross posted from
    rec.photo.digital, I would say photography was a fair bet.
    M.I.5¾, Oct 30, 2006
  10. Leroy

    Bill Guest

    "Leroy" <> wrote in message
    >I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest,
    >what it the definition of a public place/space?

    It depends on the laws of your country. But for the purpose of
    photography, any place where you have no expectancy of privacy, is
    generally considered to be a public place and you are generally within
    your rights and freedom to take photographs of the people and places.

    Expectancy of privacy means you can not expect to maintain a sense of
    private conditions. You can and will be viewed by other members of the
    public.

    As an example, if you're sitting in a restaurant having dinner, you
    can not expect the people beside you to not hear or listen in to your
    conversations, or observe what you're eating for dinner, or notice
    with whom you are sharing your table.

    In your own home, you do have an expectancy of privacy. Anyone who
    impedes or otherwise invades that privacy is probably breaking privacy
    laws.

    > I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as
    > public space, however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because
    > it's privately owned. Am I correct in saying this?

    A shopping centre is generally considerd a public place because you
    have no expectancy of privacy. But the property can be privately owned
    and you can be subject to the owners wishes. If you want to take
    casual photos of people in a mall, that's usually not an issue.

    But if someone complains to the management who are representatives of
    the owner, they can tell you to stop or tell you to leave the
    premises. You do not have the right to dispute when on private
    property.

    Note however if someone does approach you in a mall, tactful
    explanation of what you're doing will usually be accepted and you may
    be able to continue. So if security asks what you're doing, and you
    tell the guard to "get lost", you can expect to be told to leave or
    even forceably removed. But if you tell security that you're taking
    photos for a business report, activity center of a local paper with
    credentials, or of your daughter running around in a Halloween costume
    in the mall, chances are good you will be allowed to continue.

    Don't be stupid and you'll usually be free to shoot as much as you
    want.

    > Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe
    > privately owned, it is a public place and is open to the general
    > public, hence the name.

    Same as any other place that is privately owned.

    But once again, how you go about it will greatly affect how successful
    you are at getting the photos you want.
    Bill, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Leroy

    Alex Heney Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:03:23 -0000, "M.I.5¾"
    <_SPAM.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Alex Heney" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:17:51 -0000, "Leroy" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I apologise if this has been asked before, but just out of interest, what
    >>>it
    >>>the definition of a public place/space?

    >> It depends on the purpose/activity.
    >>
    >> There is no single overriding definition.
    >>

    >>>I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public
    >>>space,
    >>>however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned.
    >>>Am
    >>>I correct in saying this?
    >>>
    >>>Although, what about a pub (public house), even though it maybe privately
    >>>owned, it is a public place and is open to the general public, hence the
    >>>name.
    >>>

    >> What is the activity you are interested in?

    >Just a shot in the dark, but since this was cross posted from
    >rec.photo.digital, I would say photography was a fair bet.

    Could be :)
    --
    Alex Heney, Global Villager
    Committees keep minutes and lose hours.
    Alex Heney, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Leroy

    e_svoboda Guest

    "Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message

    > The public has access to private businesses, but that is emphatically
    > *not* a "public" area.
    >
    > It pretty much has to be owned by the "public" as well as open to
    > the public. Hence, government owned.
    >
    > --
    > Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    > Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    es;
    Which jurisdiction are you talking about?
    UK (England, Scotland, N.Ireland) or US?
    e_svoboda, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Leroy

    M. J. Powell Guest

    In message <>, Floyd L. Davidson
    <> writes
    >"Just Another Digital Fan" <> wrote:
    >>Leroy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am thinking that streets, roads, public parks are defined as public space,
    >>> however a shopping centre/superstore isn't because it's privately owned. Am
    >>> I correct in saying this?

    >>No! Any area that the public has access to is public space. That
    >>includes Tescos etc.

    >The public has access to private businesses, but that is emphatically
    >*not* a "public" area.
    >
    >It pretty much has to be owned by the "public" as well as open to
    >the public. Hence, government owned.

    Once, I had an annoying loudspeaker shut down in a public place, even
    though the place was privately owned.

    Mike
    --
    M.J.Powell
    M. J. Powell, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Leroy

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    M.I.5¾ wrote:
    >> Here you go :)
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place
    >>

    > Not acceptable as an authoratative source on anything.

    And USENET newsgroups are?

    --
    As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: "Take it, or leave
    it."

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl
    Mueen Nawaz, Oct 30, 2006
  15. Leroy

    Leroy Guest

    Cheers Bill, that makes sense.

    Leroy, Oct 30, 2006
  16. Leroy

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Mueen Nawaz" <> wrote in message
    > M.I.5¾ wrote:
    >>> Here you go :)
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_place
    >>>

    >> Not acceptable as an authoratative source on anything.

    > And USENET newsgroups are?

    Nobody has made that claim.
    M.I.5¾, Oct 31, 2006