Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vista x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. The first thing I noticed when I installed my 32-bit app on Vista x64
    was that the program icon was missing from the shortcut on the program
    group. It turned out that this was because the shortcut generated by
    InnoSetup was defective.

    32-bit programs on x64 operating systems (XP or Vista) are typically
    installed into

    Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp

    If I look in this location in Explorer, the program is there with its
    application icon on both x64 platforms.

    On XP x64, the shortcut is installed to

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Myapp

    My application icon is there, and the target is the above location. So
    all is good in XP x64.

    In the new and confusing Vista, the shortcut is installed to

    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp

    However, the target is

    C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

    The (x86) is missing, see? The shortcut actually works (somehow?), but
    this is why my icon is missing - the target is "wrong". Worse yet, if I
    click on the "General" tab of the shortcut Properties, a message comes
    up that

    C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

    is not a valid target (it's true!), and refuses to open the tab. If I
    manually change the target to

    C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

    then everything is fixed. The icon appears on the shortcut, and I can
    view the Properties of the shortcut.

    Comments
    --------

    1. This problem occurs for all programs installed by InnoSetup on Vista
    x64 (in particular InnoSetup itself).

    2. It also occurs for Mozilla Firefox, which does not use InnoSetup.
    Here the program icon is present, but the Properties of the shortcut
    cannot be viewed (as described above).

    3. This problem does not occur on XP x64, which suggests that this is a
    Vista problem, rather than a problem with the installation program.

    4. For a pre-installed program like 32-bit Internet Explorer, the
    shortcut has the correct target.

    5. Using Windows Explorer to create a shortcut to something in the
    Program Files (x86) folder yields a valid shortcut.

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of the
    32-bit app.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 20, 2006

  3. David Wilkinson

    Jane C Guest

    I've noticed exactly the same thing on Vista x64. XP Pro x64 does not have
    this problem.

    It's not just InnoSetup installers either. Even MSI installers do the same
    thing on Vista x64.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Re: Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vistax64

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    > Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of the
    > 32-bit app.

    Charlie:

    I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is
    a Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86)
    issue is the same.

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2006
  5. No, I don't think it is the same. Icons are not drawn the same way so there
    may be other differences also.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Re: Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vistax64

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > No, I don't think it is the same. Icons are not drawn the same way so there
    > may be other differences also.
    >
    > "David Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of
    >>>the 32-bit app.
    >>>

    >>Charlie:
    >>
    >>I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is a
    >>Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86) issue
    >>is the same.
    >>
    >>David Wilkinson

    Colin:

    The underlying problem has nothing to do with icons; it is just a
    manifestation of the fact that the shortcut has the wrong target, and so
    cannot pick up the icon from the target. If the target is corrected
    manually, the problem goes away and the icon is seen.

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2006
  7. David Wilkinson

    John Barnes Guest

    Did you report this to Microsoft using the reporting tool?

    John Barnes, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Re: Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vistax64

    John Barnes wrote:

    > Did you report this to Microsoft using the reporting tool?

    John:

    Of course. I reported it many weeks ago for the July CTP x64 version.
    But I have received no feedback, and this fundamental problem remains in
    RC1 x64.

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2006
  9. David Wilkinson

    mikeyhsd Guest

    microsoft claims they cannot reproduce it.

    a easy way to fix the problem is to open the properties of the shortcut and click on FIND TARGET. then click on CHANGE ICON.
    APPLY and OK out,.

    I even used the BROWSE button during install to manually point to the correct folder and it still came out WRONG.

    have reported it to ms for the last 3 builds.

    mikeyhsd, Sep 20, 2006
  10. Re: Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vistax64

    mikeyhsd wrote:

    > microsoft claims they cannot reproduce it.
    >
    > a easy way to fix the problem is to open the properties of the shortcut and click on FIND TARGET. then click on CHANGE ICON.
    > APPLY and OK out,.
    >
    > I even used the BROWSE button during install to manually point to the correct folder and it still came out WRONG.
    >
    > have reported it to ms for the last 3 builds.

    This is BS. Once again, it is not the icon that is the issue, rather the
    fact that the target is wrong.

    Is anybody here NOT able to reproduce this problem on Vista x64 RC1?
    Steps to reproduce:

    1. Install Mozilla FireFox
    2. Start->Programs-> right click on Mozilla FireFox
    3. Select Properties
    4. Look at the target - it is missing the (x86)
    5. Click the General (or any other) tab - error message states that
    target is incorrect.

    This problem does not occur for XP x64.

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Re: Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vistax64

    David Wilkinson wrote:

    > The first thing I noticed when I installed my 32-bit app on Vista x64
    > was that the program icon was missing from the shortcut on the program
    > group. It turned out that this was because the shortcut generated by
    > InnoSetup was defective.
    >
    > 32-bit programs on x64 operating systems (XP or Vista) are typically
    > installed into
    >
    > Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp
    >
    > If I look in this location in Explorer, the program is there with its
    > application icon on both x64 platforms.
    >
    > On XP x64, the shortcut is installed to
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Myapp
    >
    > My application icon is there, and the target is the above location. So
    > all is good in XP x64.
    >
    > In the new and confusing Vista, the shortcut is installed to
    >
    > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp
    >
    > However, the target is
    >
    > C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
    >
    > The (x86) is missing, see? The shortcut actually works (somehow?), but
    > this is why my icon is missing - the target is "wrong". Worse yet, if I
    > click on the "General" tab of the shortcut Properties, a message comes
    > up that
    >
    > C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
    >
    > is not a valid target (it's true!), and refuses to open the tab. If I
    > manually change the target to
    >
    > C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
    >
    > then everything is fixed. The icon appears on the shortcut, and I can
    > view the Properties of the shortcut.
    >
    > Comments
    > --------
    >
    > 1. This problem occurs for all programs installed by InnoSetup on Vista
    > x64 (in particular InnoSetup itself).
    >
    > 2. It also occurs for Mozilla Firefox, which does not use InnoSetup.
    > Here the program icon is present, but the Properties of the shortcut
    > cannot be viewed (as described above).
    >
    > 3. This problem does not occur on XP x64, which suggests that this is a
    > Vista problem, rather than a problem with the installation program.
    >
    > 4. For a pre-installed program like 32-bit Internet Explorer, the
    > shortcut has the correct target.
    >
    > 5. Using Windows Explorer to create a shortcut to something in the
    > Program Files (x86) folder yields a valid shortcut.
    >
    > David Wilkinson

    Hi all:

    This bug is finally fixed in Vista x64 build 5728!!

    David Wilkinson

    David Wilkinson, Sep 24, 2006
  12. David Wilkinson

    Jane C Guest

    Great! I haven't had time to download x64 5728 yet, so that's one less
    headache to look forward to ;)

    Jane C, Sep 24, 2006
  13. Jane, you'll like the speedier searches in 5728!

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 25, 2006
  14. David Wilkinson

    Jane C Guest

    x86 5728 running extremely well here :) Will burn the x64 later and attempt
    an upgrade over RC1 x64.

    Jane C, Sep 25, 2006
  15. Do _not_ do an upgrade from 5600 to 5728 in x64. BTDT, and it isn't pretty.
    I'm going to have to rip it out and do a clean install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006
  16. David Wilkinson

    Jane C Guest

    Oops, too late! Upgrade went ok, no major dramas as yet. Everything seems
    to be working. What happened when you tried it?

    (And what's BTDT?)

    Jane C, Sep 27, 2006
  17. Been there, done that.

    All sorts of little things didn't work. Including control panel applets,
    etc. And settings were not cleanly migrated. All in all, not something I
    could work with every day, so I'm going to rip it out and do fresh.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 27, 2006