    be done other than cleaning lenses. They are so cheap that it's not
    practically to repair them, but just in case someone has found a
    "typical" problem that is readily addressed, I thought I would ask.

    mcp6453, Dec 22, 2003

  2. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    The only problem worth the time to fix is lens cleaning.

    Thor, Dec 22, 2003

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > The only problem worth the time to fix is lens cleaning.
    >
    > ..
    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > I seem to encounter a LOT of defectice CD ROM drives. Has anyone had any
    > > success repairing them? It would appear that there is not much that can
    > > be done other than cleaning lenses. They are so cheap that it's not
    > > practically to repair them, but just in case someone has found a
    > > "typical" problem that is readily addressed, I thought I would ask.

    Do you often find them in need of cleaning? I have never cleaned one and
    had it start working.

    mcp6453, Dec 22, 2003
  4. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    My old Yamaha burner stopped burning CDs reliably. Started throwing a lot of
    coasters, or other drives had big-time problems reading any discs burned on
    the unit. I took the opportunity to just replace it with a faster burner,
    but later I took my Yamaha apart and saw that the lens had a nice, thick
    coat of dust on it. Cleaned it off, and it works like new.

    Thor, Dec 22, 2003