Defective Canon A650 IS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by void.no.spam.com@gmail.com, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    following problems:

    - The LCD screen has at least 3 problem pixels: one tiny pixel that
    seems to always be black even if I'm looking at a white surface,
    another tiny pixel that always seems to be either red, blue, or green
    even if I'm looking at a black surface, and a slightly larger pixel
    that is always bright green.

    - The swivel LCD screen does not go out all the way. It goes out maybe
    175 degrees instead of 180. I have seen some people post that they
    have the same problem, while other people say that their screen flips
    out 180 degrees.

    - I have taken a few test pictures, of light surfaces and dark
    surfaces, and after downloading them to my computer, I see a little
    red dot in the same place on all of the images. Looks like the CCD has
    a problem pixel.

    The last problem seems to be the most serious. I cannot exchange this
    camera anymore, because the store I bought it from is now out of
    stock. So what will happen if I send it back to Canon? Will they
    repair the camera, or will they send me a refurbished one? And if they
    repair it, would they be able to fix all of the problems, or just the
    CCD?

    , Sep 14, 2008

  2. HaroldH Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:58:54 +0300, "G Paleologopoulos" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote
    >>
    >> I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    >> following problems:

    >Your only true problem is the red pixel in the images.
    >It is, however, trivially edited out with any imaging software.

    Or use CHDK's "badpixel" removal option so it does it automatically for you with
    every shot.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_fir...ot-Pixel_Removal_.28Build_100-16_and_later.29

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/MoreBest#Bad_Pixel_Removal

    This and other features from the AllBest and MoreBest builds have been recently
    merged into the main CHDK build.

    HaroldH, Sep 14, 2008

  3. ransley Guest

    On Sep 13, 7:24 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    > following problems:
    >
    > - The LCD screen has at least 3 problem pixels: one tiny pixel that
    > seems to always be black even if I'm looking at a white surface,
    > another tiny pixel that always seems to be either red, blue, or green
    > even if I'm looking at a black surface, and a slightly larger pixel
    > that is always bright green.
    >
    > - The swivel LCD screen does not go out all the way. It goes out maybe
    > 175 degrees instead of 180. I have seen some people post that they
    > have the same problem, while other people say that their screen flips
    > out 180 degrees.
    >
    > - I have taken a few test pictures, of light surfaces and dark
    > surfaces, and after downloading them to my computer, I see a little
    > red dot in the same place on all of the images. Looks like the CCD has
    > a problem pixel.
    >
    > The last problem seems to be the most serious. I cannot exchange this
    > camera anymore, because the store I bought it from is now out of
    > stock. So what will happen if I send it back to Canon? Will they
    > repair the camera, or will they send me a refurbished one? And if they
    > repair it, would they be able to fix all of the problems, or just the
    > CCD?

    I bet if you called the store the would order you a 650, Contact
    Canon. Maybe consider an exchange of a different model

    ransley, Sep 14, 2008
  4. ransley Guest

    On Sep 13, 7:24 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    > following problems:
    >
    > - The LCD screen has at least 3 problem pixels: one tiny pixel that
    > seems to always be black even if I'm looking at a white surface,
    > another tiny pixel that always seems to be either red, blue, or green
    > even if I'm looking at a black surface, and a slightly larger pixel
    > that is always bright green.
    >
    > - The swivel LCD screen does not go out all the way. It goes out maybe
    > 175 degrees instead of 180. I have seen some people post that they
    > have the same problem, while other people say that their screen flips
    > out 180 degrees.
    >
    > - I have taken a few test pictures, of light surfaces and dark
    > surfaces, and after downloading them to my computer, I see a little
    > red dot in the same place on all of the images. Looks like the CCD has
    > a problem pixel.
    >
    > The last problem seems to be the most serious. I cannot exchange this
    > camera anymore, because the store I bought it from is now out of
    > stock. So what will happen if I send it back to Canon? Will they
    > repair the camera, or will they send me a refurbished one? And if they
    > repair it, would they be able to fix all of the problems, or just the
    > CCD?

    I think there was a recall on that camera by some stores

    ransley, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Nervous Nick Guest

    On Sep 13, 7:24 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    > following problems:
    >
    > - The LCD screen has at least 3 problem pixels: one tiny pixel that
    > seems to always be black even if I'm looking at a white surface,
    > another tiny pixel that always seems to be either red, blue, or green
    > even if I'm looking at a black surface, and a slightly larger pixel
    > that is always bright green.
    >
    > - The swivel LCD screen does not go out all the way. It goes out maybe
    > 175 degrees instead of 180. I have seen some people post that they
    > have the same problem, while other people say that their screen flips
    > out 180 degrees.
    >
    > - I have taken a few test pictures, of light surfaces and dark
    > surfaces, and after downloading them to my computer, I see a little
    > red dot in the same place on all of the images. Looks like the CCD has
    > a problem pixel.
    >
    > The last problem seems to be the most serious. I cannot exchange this
    > camera anymore, because the store I bought it from is now out of
    > stock. So what will happen if I send it back to Canon? Will they
    > repair the camera, or will they send me a refurbished one? And if they
    > repair it, would they be able to fix all of the problems, or just the
    > CCD?

    I think asking Canon might be a bit more helpful than asking here.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Sep 14, 2008
  6. <> wrote in message news:...
    >I got a Canon A650 IS camera recently, and I have noticed the
    > following problems:
    >
    > - The LCD screen has at least 3 problem pixels: one tiny pixel that
    > seems to always be black even if I'm looking at a white surface,
    > another tiny pixel that always seems to be either red, blue, or green
    > even if I'm looking at a black surface, and a slightly larger pixel
    > that is always bright green.
    >
    > - The swivel LCD screen does not go out all the way. It goes out maybe
    > 175 degrees instead of 180. I have seen some people post that they
    > have the same problem, while other people say that their screen flips
    > out 180 degrees.
    >
    > - I have taken a few test pictures, of light surfaces and dark
    > surfaces, and after downloading them to my computer, I see a little
    > red dot in the same place on all of the images. Looks like the CCD has
    > a problem pixel.
    >
    > The last problem seems to be the most serious. I cannot exchange this
    > camera anymore, because the store I bought it from is now out of
    > stock. So what will happen if I send it back to Canon? Will they
    > repair the camera, or will they send me a refurbished one? And if they
    > repair it, would they be able to fix all of the problems, or just the
    > CCD?

    Get a refund instead of an exchange and then go eslewhere. If there's problems with the camera it's not your fault they have no stock to do an exchange.

    Jack Torrence, Sep 18, 2008