Defective 750MB ZIP Disks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi, we're using a 750MB external USB ZIP Drive w/ 750MB ZIP disks.
    I've noticed that out of the pack of 750MB ZIP disks several cannot be read
    by
    the drive. Get the message "insert disk" after the drive is inserted.
    Other disks work
    without problems. I installed the Iomega software about six months ago,
    then it searched the
    Iomega site for software updates but I don't believe it found any. Are the
    unreadable disks
    defective?

    Another question:
    I need to back up a >250MB data file Monday - Saturday and exclude Sunday
    (which I can't seem to do
    with Server 2003 built in back up). Is the Iomega back up software any
    good? Is the restore intuitive?
    Recommendations for good single pc back up software will be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, we're using a 750MB external USB ZIP Drive w/ 750MB ZIP disks.
    > I've noticed that out of the pack of 750MB ZIP disks several cannot be
    > read by
    > the drive. Get the message "insert disk" after the drive is inserted.
    > Other disks work
    > without problems. I installed the Iomega software about six months ago,
    > then it searched the
    > Iomega site for software updates but I don't believe it found any. Are
    > the unreadable disks defective?

    I searched the Iomega website and did a google web search but neither
    returned results re:
    defective 750MB ZIP disks. Any idea what's causing the "insert disk" error
    message?

    Mike, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Mike

    Ingeborg Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Any idea what's causing the "insert disk" error
    > message?

    I don't know the 750MB disks, have only worked with 100MB. On one of the
    corners of the 100MB disk there's a reflector. This reflector is used by
    the drive to detect the disk. Maybe your defective disks have inferior
    reflectors?

    Ingeborg, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Mike

    Plato Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Hi, we're using a 750MB external USB ZIP Drive w/ 750MB ZIP disks.

    Iomega is NOT a good backup method.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi, we're using a 750MB external USB ZIP Drive w/ 750MB ZIP disks.

    > Iomega is NOT a good backup method.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Amore direct linl will be helpful

    Mike, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> Any idea what's causing the "insert disk" error
    >> message?
    >>

    > I don't know the 750MB disks, have only worked with 100MB. On one of the
    > corners of the 100MB disk there's a reflector. This reflector is used by
    > the drive to detect the disk. Maybe your defective disks have inferior
    > reflectors?

    I dunno, something is clearly wrong w/ the disks

    Mike, Aug 10, 2006