Defeat Sony XCP copy protection with scotch tape

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Yet again, copy protection is defetaed by a near trivial method. LMAO

    -goro-

    http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174400748

    With a small bit of tape on the outer edge of the CD, the PC then
    treats the disc as an ordinary single-session music CD and the commonly
    used music 'rip' programs continue to work as usual.
    By Gregg Keizer
    TechWeb News

    Sony BMG Music's controversial copy-protection scheme can be defeated
    with a small piece of tape, a research firm said Monday in a
    demonstration of the futility of digital rights management (DRM).

    According to Gartner analysts Martin Reynolds and Mike McGuire, Sony's
    XCP technology is stymied by sticking a fingernail-size piece of opaque
    tape on the outer edge of the CD.

    That, the pair said in a brief posted online, renders "session 2 --
    which contains the self-loading DRM software - unreadable. The PC
    then treats the CD as an ordinary single-session music CD, and the
    commonly used CD 'rip' programs continue to work as usual."

    Such simple work-arounds, said Reynolds and McGuire, make Sony's
    decision to copy protect is music CDs an even bigger mistake. "Sony
    BMG's DRM technology will prevent neither informed casual copiers nor
    high-volume 'pirates' from doing whatever they like with the content
    the disc," the analysts continued. "It does, however, load 'stealth'
    software - software that has been demonstrated to have suspect
    effects - on uninformed users' machines.

    "The bottom line: Sony BMG has created serious public-relations and
    legal issues for itself, and for no good reason."

    Only after 10 days of mounting criticism about its surreptitious
    installation of a hacker-style "rootkit" to users' PCs did Sony
    announce that it would end the copy-protection; a week later it said it
    would recall all unsold CDs and exchange those already in consumers'
    hands with unprotected discs.

    Sony's exchange program also gives buyers of the 52 in-question CDs the
    option of receiving unprotected MP3 files of the album's tracks, in
    large part because the disc exchange process takes three to six weeks.

    Those users will receive an e-mail directing them to a site where they
    can download the MP3 files, Sony said on its exchange program Web page.

    This isn't the first time that simple methods have defeated a Sony
    copy-protection plan. An earlier technology that Sony used could be
    circumvented by using a black marker to draw a line near the edge of
    the disc.

    "After more than five years of trying, the recording industry has not
    yet demonstrated a workable DRM scheme for music CDs," concluded the
    Gartner analysts. "It will never achieve this goal as long as CDs must
    be playable by stand-alone CD players."

    Goro, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Sony's exchange program also gives buyers of the 52 in-question CDs the
    > option of receiving unprotected MP3 files of the album's tracks, in
    > large part because the disc exchange process takes three to six weeks.
    >
    > Those users will receive an e-mail directing them to a site where they
    > can download the MP3 files, Sony said on its exchange program Web page.

    So, now Sony has gone the other way, and is basically giving away these
    songs to anybody who wants them, even if they hadn't purchased a CD, because
    we all know the web address/login information will become public knowledge.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Goro

    Jay G. Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:04:59 -0500, Jeff Rife wrote:

    > Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Sony's exchange program also gives buyers of the 52 in-question CDs the
    >> option of receiving unprotected MP3 files of the album's tracks, in
    >> large part because the disc exchange process takes three to six weeks.
    >>
    >> Those users will receive an e-mail directing them to a site where they
    >> can download the MP3 files, Sony said on its exchange program Web page.

    > So, now Sony has gone the other way, and is basically giving away these
    > songs to anybody who wants them, even if they hadn't purchased a CD, because
    > we all know the web address/login information will become public knowledge.

    Well, it's not like those wanting them for free didn't already have
    dishonest ways to aquire them.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Nov 25, 2005