    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov
    James D Andrews, Aug 26, 2011

  2. In XP and earlier versions -- I don't know the steps in Vista or Win7, but
    they should be similar -- start Explorer, select a folder, set the view
    settings you want, click TOOL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW select and deselect the
    features you want, then click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS.

    Personally, I have my Explorer set to show Details for all folders except
    Control Panel, where I have Small Icons as the view setting. I am a switch
    hitter on photos, sometimes I view them as thumbnails and sometimes I view
    the file details.

    I do not hide extensions for known file types because there can be files
    with the same name but different extensions, and having the extension
    displayed is sometimes important information. It is never bad to see an
    extension, and it can be very bad to not see it.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 26, 2011

  3. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
    >
    > Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to
    > open all folders in icons View.

    I forgot to mention, if you Right Click the Windows Explorer icon, and
    choose Properties, and enter a space and /e (so it looks like this --
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e) in the Target box, then Explorer will start
    with Drive C as the focus with the directory structure collapsed. You do not
    always want to go to the same place, so I find it beneficial for me to start
    from Drive C. I do not have to navigate out to Drive C just to drill down to
    some other folder.
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 26, 2011
  4. Jeff Strickland was thinking very hard and all he could come up with
    was:
    > In XP and earlier versions -- I don't know the steps in Vista or Win7, but
    > they should be similar -- start Explorer, select a folder, set the view
    > settings you want, click TOOL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW select and deselect the
    > features you want, then click APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS.
    >
    > Personally, I have my Explorer set to show Details for all folders except
    > Control Panel, where I have Small Icons as the view setting. I am a switch
    > hitter on photos, sometimes I view them as thumbnails and sometimes I view
    > the file details.
    >
    > I do not hide extensions for known file types because there can be files with
    > the same name but different extensions, and having the extension displayed is
    > sometimes important information. It is never bad to see an extension, and it
    > can be very bad to not see it.
    >

    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to open
    >> all folders in icons View.
    >>
    >> -- -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>

    >> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    >> troublesome."
    >> - Isaac Asimov

    That did the trick, Jeff. I've just been hitting Apply instead of
    Apply to All Folders, so it wasn't working how I needed.

    Thanks much. One less fingernail across the chalkboard.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"
    James D Andrews, Aug 27, 2011
  5. Jeff Strickland banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> This is an irritant rather than a crisis.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to set a default View for all Folders? For example, to open
    >> all folders in icons View.
    >>

    > I forgot to mention, if you Right Click the Windows Explorer icon, and choose
    > Properties, and enter a space and /e (so it looks like this --
    > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e) in the Target box, then Explorer will start
    > with Drive C as the focus with the directory structure collapsed. You do not
    > always want to go to the same place, so I find it beneficial for me to start
    > from Drive C. I do not have to navigate out to Drive C just to drill down to
    > some other folder.

    Thanks again, Jeff, although I don't think I need to carry it to that
    level. You're advice on Apply to All Folders gave me exactly what I
    was wanting. I pop open My Computer and run with it from there, if I
    need.

    I really appreciate your help Jeff.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because
    you might not get there."
    - Yogi Berra
    James D Andrews, Aug 27, 2011