    dump it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for
    whatever is happening here.
    WC

    WCH, Sep 28, 2005

  2. WCH schreef:
    > Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    > worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    > prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I
    > have is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says
    > that profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >
    > The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    > get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    > new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until
    > just now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I
    > want to use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is
    > already in use and then won't start Firefox.
    >
    > What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to
    > dump it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for
    > whatever is happening here.

    You probably still have some firefox process running. Kill it (using
    task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete, or with ps aux), and try again.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 28, 2005

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > WCH schreef:
    >
    >> Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    >> worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    >> prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I
    >> have is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It
    >> says that profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >>
    >> The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how
    >> to get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after
    >> creating a new profile (which I just called "default user"). That
    >> worked until just now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking
    >> what profile I want to use and, when I highlight Default User it says
    >> THAT profile is already in use and then won't start Firefox.
    >>
    >> What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to
    >> dump it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for
    >> whatever is happening here.

    > You probably still have some firefox process running. Kill it (using
    > task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete, or with ps aux), and try again.

    Sure enough, I looked in Task Manager and found "firefox.exe" running
    under Processes. Stopped it, restarted Firefox and everything's working
    again. THANKS!!

    WCH, Sep 28, 2005
  4. "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    > worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    > prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I have
    > is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says that
    > profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >
    > The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    > get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    > new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until just
    > now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I want to
    > use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is already in
    > use and then won't start Firefox.
    >
    > What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to dump
    > it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for whatever
    > is happening here.
    > WC

    I get that from time to time, especially after opening a PDF doc from a web
    page (why o why does firefox's implementation of acrobat STILL SUCK?)
    Occasionally the firefox acrobat viewer will leave a stray firefox.exe
    process running in the background. Give it ye ole three fingered salute,
    select the processes tab, and look for firefox.exe, stop that process and
    try again. I've noticed a few other areas where firefox fails to shut down
    properly, but can't recall exactly what was going on, some of them leaving a
    residual visual on the desktop that can only be cleared by a reboot. This
    is the ONE area i think firefox can really improve on. I still use firefox
    about 95% of the time, the other 5% i use internet exploder, but only on
    pages that won't render properly in firefox (why oh why can't people write
    PROPER multi platform html docs? ESPECIALLY sites I am REQUIRED to access
    for school/work?)

    nooneimportant, Sep 28, 2005
  5. WCH

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:38:47 -0700, in message
     <WVx_e.83984$DW1.52242@fed1read06>, nooneimportant wrote:

    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > > Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    > > worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    > > prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I have
    > > is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says that
    > > profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    > >
    > > The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    > > get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    > > new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until just
    > > now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I want to
    > > use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is already in
    > > use and then won't start Firefox.
    > >
    > > What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to dump
    > > it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for whatever
    > > is happening here.
    > > WC
    > >

    > I get that from time to time, especially after opening a PDF doc from a web
    > page (why o why does firefox's implementation of acrobat STILL SUCK?)

    The implementation of acrobat is a plug-in written by Adobe, not by Firefox.

    It's Adobe's same implementation for most browsers except IE.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 28, 2005
  6. nooneimportant wrote:

    > "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >> Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    >> worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    >> prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I have
    >> is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says that
    >> profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >>
    >> The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    >> get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    >> new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until just
    >> now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I want to
    >> use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is already in
    >> use and then won't start Firefox.
    >>
    >> What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to dump
    >> it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for whatever
    >> is happening here.
    >> WC
    >>

    > I get that from time to time, especially after opening a PDF doc from a web
    > page (why o why does firefox's implementation of acrobat STILL SUCK?)
    > Occasionally the firefox acrobat viewer will leave a stray firefox.exe
    > process running in the background. Give it ye ole three fingered salute,
    > select the processes tab, and look for firefox.exe, stop that process and
    > try again. I've noticed a few other areas where firefox fails to shut down
    > properly, but can't recall exactly what was going on, some of them leaving a
    > residual visual on the desktop that can only be cleared by a reboot. This
    > is the ONE area i think firefox can really improve on. I still use firefox
    > about 95% of the time, the other 5% i use internet exploder, but only on
    > pages that won't render properly in firefox (why oh why can't people write
    > PROPER multi platform html docs? ESPECIALLY sites I am REQUIRED to access
    > for school/work?)

    Its more Acrobat's problem then Firefox. I get hung Acrobat processes
    all the time, even when using them outside the browser. When you use
    it as a plugin, it hangs FF.

    I much prefer reading PDF's outside the browser window anyway, so I
    disabled the plugin. I also started using Foxit as a PDF reader. I
    like it a lot better then Acrobat Reader so far.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 28, 2005
  7. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > nooneimportant wrote:
    >> "WCH" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    >>> worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    >>> prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I
    >>> have is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says
    >>> that profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >>>
    >>> The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    >>> get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    >>> new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until
    >>> just now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I
    >>> want to use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is
    >>> already in use and then won't start Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to
    >>> dump it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for
    >>> whatever is happening here.
    >>> WC
    >>>

    >> I get that from time to time, especially after opening a PDF doc from a
    >> web page (why o why does firefox's implementation of acrobat STILL SUCK?)
    >> Occasionally the firefox acrobat viewer will leave a stray firefox.exe
    >> process running in the background. Give it ye ole three fingered salute,
    >> select the processes tab, and look for firefox.exe, stop that process and
    >> try again. I've noticed a few other areas where firefox fails to shut
    >> down properly, but can't recall exactly what was going on, some of them
    >> leaving a residual visual on the desktop that can only be cleared by a
    >> reboot. This is the ONE area i think firefox can really improve on. I
    >> still use firefox about 95% of the time, the other 5% i use internet
    >> exploder, but only on pages that won't render properly in firefox (why oh
    >> why can't people write PROPER multi platform html docs? ESPECIALLY sites
    >> I am REQUIRED to access for school/work?)
    >>

    > Its more Acrobat's problem then Firefox. I get hung Acrobat processes
    > all the time, even when using them outside the browser. When you use it
    > as a plugin, it hangs FF.
    >
    > I much prefer reading PDF's outside the browser window anyway, so I
    > disabled the plugin. I also started using Foxit as a PDF reader. I like
    > it a lot better then Acrobat Reader so far.
    >
    > Lee

    I'll have to give that one a try, i have acrobat pro installed on my
    desktop, and even then when it loads in firefox it effs up on exit most of
    the time, never has that issue in internet exploder, laptop just has an acro
    reader on it, same issues.

    nooneimportant, Sep 29, 2005
  8. On 2005-09-28, WCH <> wrote:

    > Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    > worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    > prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I
    > have is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says
    > that profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >
    > The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    > get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    > new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until
    > just now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I
    > want to use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is
    > already in use and then won't start Firefox.
    >
    > What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to
    > dump it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for
    > whatever is happening here.

    Check your process list to make sure there isn't another instance of FF
    using that profile. If not, maybe you have a lock file still in your
    default profile? If FireFox closes improperly (system crash, etc.)
    sometimes the lock file doesn't get removed so the next time FF starts it
    thinks the profile is still in use.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Sep 29, 2005
  9. On 2005-09-28, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > Its more Acrobat's problem then Firefox. I get hung Acrobat processes
    > all the time, even when using them outside the browser. When you use
    > it as a plugin, it hangs FF.
    >
    > I much prefer reading PDF's outside the browser window anyway, so I
    > disabled the plugin. I also started using Foxit as a PDF reader. I
    > like it a lot better then Acrobat Reader so far.

    Agreed. The latest versions of Acrobat Reader are horribly bloated and
    take forever to load on my PII-400 192MB machine. I use xpdf as a helper
    app for pdf files -- much, much faster and does everything I need.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Sep 29, 2005
  10. On 2005-09-28, nooneimportant <no.spam@me> wrote:

    > why o why does firefox's implementation of acrobat STILL SUCK?

    Firefox doesn't implement Acrobat at all; it calls on the plug-in from
    Adobe to do that. Maybe ask Adobe why it is giving you problems?

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Sep 29, 2005
  11. Hi !

    How do I change too default profile? I have a diffrent profil but can`t
    change back too default. please help

    Martin Magnussen, Oct 26, 2005
  12. Martin Magnussen schreef:
    > Hi !
    >
    > How do I change too default profile? I have a diffrent profil but can`t
    > change back too default. please help
    >

    > "WCH" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >>Have used Firefox since before v.1. Always update when prompted. Has
    >>worked fine till this week. Now I try to start Firefox I get a popup
    >>prompt that asks me what Profile I want to load. The only Profile I have
    >>is "default". I highlight that and choose Start Firefox. It says that
    >>profile is already in use and won't start the browser.
    >>
    >>The first time this happened, two days ago, I couldn't figure out how to
    >>get around it so finally I deleted the default profile after creating a
    >>new profile (which I just called "default user"). That worked until just
    >>now, when once again I got the popup prompt asking what profile I want to
    >>use and, when I highlight Default User it says THAT profile is already in
    >>use and then won't start Firefox.
    >>
    >>What is happening here??? If Firefox becomes unreliable I'll have to dump
    >>it, which I don't want to do. Hopefully there's a quick fix for whatever
    >>is happening here.

    Start with the -profile-manager option. (FF should be completely shut
    down for this to work).

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Oct 27, 2005
  13. Yes but how do I start profile manger?

    Martin Magnussen, Oct 27, 2005
  14. Martin Magnussen wrote:
    > Yes but how do I start profile manger?
    >
    > "Hendrik Maryns" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> Martin Magnussen schreef:
    >>> Hi !
    >>>
    >>> How do I change too default profile? I have a diffrent profil but can`t
    >>> change back too default. please help
    >>>

    >>> "WCH" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    >> Start with the -profile-manager option. (FF should be completely shut
    >> down for this to work).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hendrik Maryns

    To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 27, 2005
  15. WCH

    gwtc Guest

    Martin Magnussen wrote:

    > Yes but how do I start profile manger?
    >
    > "Hendrik Maryns" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >>Martin Magnussen schreef:
    >>
    >>>Hi !
    >>>
    >>>How do I change too default profile? I have a diffrent profil but can`t
    >>>change back too default. please help
    >>>

    >>>"WCH" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    >>Start with the -profile-manager option. (FF should be completely shut
    >>down for this to work).
    >>
    >>--
    >>Hendrik Maryns
    >>
    >>==================
    >>www.lieverleven.be
    >>http://aouw.org

    I'm presuming you're using windows. If so, close FF, then click on
    Start, Run and enter exactly as I have:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will start the profile manager

    gwtc, Oct 27, 2005
  16. WCH

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *gwtc* wrote:

    > Martin Magnussen wrote:
    >
    >> Yes but how do I start profile manger?
    >>
    >> "Hendrik Maryns" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    >>>Start with the -profile-manager option. (FF should be completely shut
    >>>down for this to work).
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Hendrik Maryns
    >>>
    >>>==================
    >>>www.lieverleven.be
    >>>http://aouw.org

    > I'm presuming you're using windows. If so, close FF, then click on
    > Start, Run and enter exactly as I have:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will start the profile manager

    I can't understand why the developers can't make Firefox to shut down
    properly, and why it has to be so hard to find the profile manager in
    that browser?

    Of course, things can happend occasionally, but this thing with
    Firefox still running a profile after shut down has become very
    common, from what I can see in the different "help" question posts on
    different news groups and web forums.

    Even more serious then, is the trouble allmost everybody has to find
    the profile manager. My Moz Suite has failed to shut down properly
    only ones, as I can remember, preventing me from open my default
    profile. But In the Start > Mozilla shortcut folder I have a shortcut
    to the manager, and it came with the installation. I don't need to
    figure out how to find it.

    --
    /Arne
    Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote

    Arne, Oct 27, 2005
  17. WCH

    gwtc Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Once upon a time *gwtc* wrote:
    >

    >>Martin Magnussen wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes but how do I start profile manger?
    >>>
    >>>"Hendrik Maryns" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    >>I'm presuming you're using windows. If so, close FF, then click on
    >>Start, Run and enter exactly as I have:
    >>
    >>firefox.exe -p
    >>
    >>this will start the profile manager

    > I can't understand why the developers can't make Firefox to shut down
    > properly, and why it has to be so hard to find the profile manager in
    > that browser?
    >
    > Of course, things can happend occasionally, but this thing with
    > Firefox still running a profile after shut down has become very
    > common, from what I can see in the different "help" question posts on
    > different news groups and web forums.
    >
    > Even more serious then, is the trouble allmost everybody has to find
    > the profile manager. My Moz Suite has failed to shut down properly
    > only ones, as I can remember, preventing me from open my default
    > profile. But In the Start > Mozilla shortcut folder I have a shortcut
    > to the manager, and it came with the installation. I don't need to
    > figure out how to find it.

    There is no rhyme nor reason to the shut down problem. Some say its
    because of an extension, others are saying the streaming audio/video
    isn't shutting down properly. Then still others are saying its a
    theme problem, but others have a plain vanilla browser and it occurs
    to them, too. Its becoming a very PITA.

    Why the developers didn't include the Profile Manager icon is
    anybodies guess. Its there for all versions of Net from 4.x to 8.x,
    and even Thunderbird. I can't speak for SM but I'm sure its there
    too. But the funny thing is Net 8.x is based on FF and it has the PM,
    but not FF.

    gwtc, Oct 27, 2005
  18. gwtc wrote:
    > Arne wrote:

    >>> I'm presuming you're using windows. If so, close FF, then click on
    >>> Start, Run and enter exactly as I have:
    >>>
    >>> firefox.exe -p
    >>>
    >>> this will start the profile manager

    >> I can't understand why the developers can't make Firefox to shut down
    >> properly, and why it has to be so hard to find the profile manager in
    >> that browser?
    >>
    >> Of course, things can happend occasionally, but this thing with
    >> Firefox still running a profile after shut down has become very
    >> common, from what I can see in the different "help" question posts on
    >> different news groups and web forums.
    >>
    >> Even more serious then, is the trouble allmost everybody has to find
    >> the profile manager. My Moz Suite has failed to shut down properly
    >> only ones, as I can remember, preventing me from open my default
    >> profile. But In the Start > Mozilla shortcut folder I have a shortcut
    >> to the manager, and it came with the installation. I don't need to
    >> figure out how to find it.
    >>

    > There is no rhyme nor reason to the shut down problem. Some say its
    > because of an extension, others are saying the streaming audio/video
    > isn't shutting down properly. Then still others are saying its a theme
    > problem, but others have a plain vanilla browser and it occurs to them,
    > too. Its becoming a very PITA.
    >
    > Why the developers didn't include the Profile Manager icon is anybodies
    > guess. Its there for all versions of Net from 4.x to 8.x, and even
    > Thunderbird. I can't speak for SM but I'm sure its there too. But the
    > funny thing is Net 8.x is based on FF and it has the PM, but not FF.

    Yes SeaMonkey has a Profile Manager link in Start>>Programs>>SeaMonkey.

    Only Firefox does not. It was taken out at about the time Safe Mode came
    into being. I think they intended Safe Mode to replace creating new
    profiles as a trouble shooting technique. It hasn't.

    I think the other thought was that the whole question of profiles is
    confusing to people who have onnly used Internet Explorer. Still,
    hiding the profiles doesn't seem like much of an answer.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 27, 2005
  19. WCH

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Arne wrote:

    >>> I can't understand why the developers can't make Firefox to shut down
    >>> properly, and why it has to be so hard to find the profile manager in
    >>> that browser?
    >>>
    >>> Of course, things can happend occasionally, but this thing with
    >>> Firefox still running a profile after shut down has become very
    >>> common, from what I can see in the different "help" question posts on
    >>> different news groups and web forums.
    >>>
    >>> Even more serious then, is the trouble allmost everybody has to find
    >>> the profile manager. My Moz Suite has failed to shut down properly
    >>> only ones, as I can remember, preventing me from open my default
    >>> profile. But In the Start > Mozilla shortcut folder I have a shortcut
    >>> to the manager, and it came with the installation. I don't need to
    >>> figure out how to find it.
    >>>

    >> There is no rhyme nor reason to the shut down problem. Some say its
    >> because of an extension, others are saying the streaming audio/video
    >> isn't shutting down properly. Then still others are saying its a
    >> theme problem, but others have a plain vanilla browser and it occurs
    >> to them, too. Its becoming a very PITA.
    >>
    >> Why the developers didn't include the Profile Manager icon is
    >> anybodies guess. Its there for all versions of Net from 4.x to 8.x,
    >> and even Thunderbird. I can't speak for SM but I'm sure its there
    >> too. But the funny thing is Net 8.x is based on FF and it has the PM,
    >> but not FF.

    > Yes SeaMonkey has a Profile Manager link in Start>>Programs>>SeaMonkey.
    >
    > Only Firefox does not. It was taken out at about the time Safe Mode came
    > into being. I think they intended Safe Mode to replace creating new
    > profiles as a trouble shooting technique. It hasn't.
    >
    > I think the other thought was that the whole question of profiles is
    > confusing to people who have onnly used Internet Explorer. Still,
    > hiding the profiles doesn't seem like much of an answer.
    >
    > Lee

    Now thats something I can't figure out either. Why are the Profiles
    hidden? I guess if people knew about them, then the unknowing could
    really screw things up. I guess. Oh well, I don't know.

    gwtc, Oct 27, 2005