    am using a static address. I can open Internet Explorer but I cannot access
    any websites. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction or help me
    out?
    P.Wise, Dec 14, 2003

  2. 1: Check that you HAVE a default gateway assigned by DHCP: use
    IPCONFIG/ALL If not, the zetup of whatever is giving you DHCP (the
    modem?) is incorrect.

    2: Try getting new settings using IPCONFIG/RELEASE then IPCONFIG/RENEW

    3: Check that your machine and the default GW are on the same network.

    Gordon Findlay, Dec 14, 2003

  3. P.Wise

    dave Guest

    P.Wise wrote:
    > I cannot ping my default gateway on a Win XP machine and I cannot access the
    > internet using my cable modem. I have confirmed that my modem is working
    > properly from my cable company and I have selected DHCP, so I don't think I
    > am using a static address. I can open Internet Explorer but I cannot access
    > any websites. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction or help me
    > out?

    You cannot ping your default gateway?

    Ehm, lets take a small detour here, and get to specifics...

    You first must set up your cable modem ( in some circumstances )
    in order for the ISP to provide you with an IP address;

    Therefore, if you can, log on to your cable modem, and talk
    to it, and see if it can ping somewhere out to the
    internet.

    Then check to see if the cabling works between the
    computer and modem; A green or red lamp should be
    lit, and when you ping, it should flash momentarily to
    indicate operation.

    IF it can, then go to your computer, and confirm
    your network setup for your nic card.

    Go to your Nic's Properties, and find your information for

    - Primary DNS server IP XXX.xxx.XXX.xxx
    - Secondary DNS server IP XXX.xxx.XXX.xxx
    - Your gateway ip XXX.xxx.XXX.xxx
    - your ip XXX.xxx.XXX.xxx
    - Your Subnet mask 255.xxx.XXX.xxx

    Don't post what you have on your computer here in the internet.

    Do write them down on a piece of paper, and contact
    you ISP administrator, and ask them if the numbers sound
    right to them.

    If cannot reach the internet, your hooped, because this
    is a step by step method of diagnosing your network
    problem.

    If your an A+ technician, you might have a reference
    book handy; Try there after...

    Good luck
    dave, Dec 14, 2003
  4. P.Wise

    David Hough Guest

    Can the cable company ping you?
    David Hough, Dec 14, 2003
  5. P.Wise

    P.Wise Guest

    yes, the cable compay can ping me, and have told me that my particular modem
    is working correctly

    P.Wise, Dec 14, 2003
  6. P.Wise

    dave smith Guest

    Do you have any kind of Firewall running ?

    dave smith, Dec 16, 2003