    I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

    Thanks,

    Andrwe

    Andrew Chapman, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Andrew Chapman

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:03:32 +0100, Andrew Chapman
    <> wrote:

    >I can't work out how to change the default font in Wordpad (Windows XP).
    >I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

    Basically you can't.

    You can create a file as a template, then open that template each
    time, then just make sure to Save As a new file name.

    Or use OpenOffice. It's free. And better.

    Evan Platt, Jul 27, 2007

  3. Andrew Chapman

    Vanguard Guest

    "Andrew Chapman" wrote in message
    > I can't work out how to change the default font in Wordpad (Windows
    > XP). I think I have looked in the most obvious places. Can you help?

    Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look under
    the View menu.

    Vanguard, Jul 27, 2007
  4. Andrew Chapman

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:47:19 -0500, "Vanguard"
    <> wrote:

    >Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look under
    >the View menu.

    I understood the OP's question to be the DEFAULT font, ie the font
    that wordpad uses when you open Wordpad, which defaults to Ariel.

    Evan Platt, Jul 27, 2007
  5. Andrew Chapman

    Vanguard Guest

    "Evan Platt" wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" wrote:
    >>
    >> Um, how about using the Format toolbar? If you don't see it, look
    >> under
    >> the View menu.

    > I understood the OP's question to be the DEFAULT font, ie the font
    > that wordpad uses when you open Wordpad, which defaults to Ariel.

    Which is also a font included by default in all installation of Windows
    so it is guaranteed that someone ELSE reading your document can actually
    read it as it was written.

    I know of no registry setting that specifies what default font gets
    selected when Wordpad is first opened. But me not knowing of such a
    registry item doesn't mean there isn't one. I know that wordpad.exe
    will accept a command-line argument that specifies what file to open,
    but I haven't seen a command-line switch or argument to change the
    default font.

    The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
    - Open Wordpad.
    - In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
    pseudo-default.
    - Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
    document.
    - Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
    - Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
    - The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head of
    the document on that blank line that uses the font that you selected.

    Vanguard, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Andrew Chapman

    Vanguard Guest

    "Vanguard" wrote in message

    > The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
    > - Open Wordpad.
    > - In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
    > pseudo-default.
    > - Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
    > document.
    > - Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
    > - Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
    > - The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head
    > of the document on that blank line that uses the font that you
    > selected.

    Oops, actually you need a blank line. When Wordpad is open with a blank
    document, double-click on the document pane to select the entire
    document. The cursor will change from a thin to thick vertical bar
    noting everything is selected (which is really just the insert point).
    Then change the font and save that file to use a template to open
    Wordpad.

    Vanguard, Jul 27, 2007
  7. Vanguard wrote:
    > "Vanguard" wrote in message
    >>
    >> The best "cheat" that I can think of is:
    >> - Open Wordpad.
    >> - In the blank document pane, select the font you want as the
    >> pseudo-default.
    >> - Hit the Enter key to force one blank line to be entered into the
    >> document.
    >> - Save the file, say, as WordPad.wri.
    >> - Use that file or a shortcut to it as your replacement for Wordpad.
    >> - The "template" file opens and the cursor is positioned at the head
    >> of the document on that blank line that uses the font that you selected.

    > Oops, actually you need a blank line. When Wordpad is open with a blank
    > document, double-click on the document pane to select the entire
    > document. The cursor will change from a thin to thick vertical bar
    > noting everything is selected (which is really just the insert point).
    > Then change the font and save that file to use a template to open Wordpad.

    Great, thanks. I've put a shortcut to the file on the bar at the bottom
    of the screen - whatever that's called.

    I do use Open Office for longer documents but it's slow to open for
    something quick.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    Andrew Chapman, Jul 27, 2007