Default email program

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by bag@shore.net, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just gave up on Netscape 7 and Firefox installed and imported
    everything quite smoothly.

    I'm puzzled by how it decides to open my email program. I have Eudora
    set up with separate mailbox subdirectories and separate ini files,
    one for personal email and one for work email.

    The Tools/Read mail always opens up the work instance (even if it
    isn't running and the personal instance is running).

    On the other hand, Tools/New Message does in fact open the personal
    instance. And clicking on a mailto link on a web page opens up a new
    message in the personal instance.

    In general, the latter behavior is the preferred one. This isn't a
    matter of "what app is associated with what file extension" as far as
    I can tell.

    What does Firefox use for a "command line" to open up the default mail
    program. It's rather odd, since just running Eudora, without providing
    command-line args for the mailbox folder and ini file path, would open
    up a virgin copy of the program in yet another folder.

    Thanks.

    BG
    bag (at) shore (dot) net
    , Aug 22, 2006

  2. gwtc Guest

    wrote:
    > I just gave up on Netscape 7 and Firefox installed and imported
    > everything quite smoothly.
    >
    > I'm puzzled by how it decides to open my email program. I have Eudora
    > set up with separate mailbox subdirectories and separate ini files,
    > one for personal email and one for work email.
    >
    > The Tools/Read mail always opens up the work instance (even if it
    > isn't running and the personal instance is running).
    >
    > On the other hand, Tools/New Message does in fact open the personal
    > instance. And clicking on a mailto link on a web page opens up a new
    > message in the personal instance.
    >
    > In general, the latter behavior is the preferred one. This isn't a
    > matter of "what app is associated with what file extension" as far as
    > I can tell.
    >
    > What does Firefox use for a "command line" to open up the default mail
    > program. It's rather odd, since just running Eudora, without providing
    > command-line args for the mailbox folder and ini file path, would open
    > up a virgin copy of the program in yet another folder.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BG
    > bag (at) shore (dot) net

    it determines what is your default email program. This is set by
    eudora and windows. Just like when you click on a link in eudora, to
    opens the default browser -- such as FF.

    You can always check: Open IE, and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    Programs tab and take a look there at what is your default programs.

    --
    Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

    Two blonde girls were working for the city public works department.
    One would dig a hole and the other would follow behind her and fill
    the hole in. They worked up one side of the street, then down the
    other, then moved onto the next street, working furiously all day
    without rest, one girl digging a hole, the other girl filling it in
    again. As an onlooker I was amazed at their hard work, but I couldn't
    understand what they were doing. So I asked the hole digger, “I'm
    impressed by the effort the two of you are putting into your work, but
    I don't get it -- why do you dig a hole, only to have your partner
    follow behind and fill it up again?” The hole digger wiped her brow
    and sighed, “Well, I suppose it probably looks odd because we're
    normally a three-person team. But today the girl who plants the trees
    called in sick.”
    gwtc, Aug 22, 2006

  3. at Guest

    gwtc <> wrote:
    >it determines what is your default email program. This is set by
    >eudora and windows. Just like when you click on a link in eudora, to
    >opens the default browser -- such as FF.
    >
    >You can always check: Open IE, and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    >Programs tab and take a look there at what is your default programs.

    Perhaps I wasn't clear. Eudora is indeed my default email program
    (when I check as you describe, it shows Eudora, plain as day).

    One program, but two different ways of running it. For personal mail,
    the icon specifies "...eudora.exe MyMailFolder MyMailFolder\foo.ini"
    while for work it's "...eudora.exe WorkFolder WorkFolder\bar.ini"

    The only way to distinguish which mailboxes should come up is by the
    args on the command line.

    In the Internet Options, there is just the program name, no way to get
    more than that in the field (it's just a choice from a drop-down
    list).

    When I run Eudora from the Start/Run menu, just typing Eudora.exe with
    no args, if I have Eudora running, then that is given focus; if no
    instance of Eudora is running, the Run Eudora.exe brings up the
    personal one, so somehow the Read Mail menu pick in Foxfire manages to
    find the work mail folder and ini file.

    The question is, from where?

    BG
    at, Aug 22, 2006
  4. gwtc Guest

    at dot wrote:
    > gwtc <> wrote:
    >> it determines what is your default email program. This is set by
    >> eudora and windows. Just like when you click on a link in eudora, to
    >> opens the default browser -- such as FF.
    >>
    >> You can always check: Open IE, and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    >> Programs tab and take a look there at what is your default programs.

    > Perhaps I wasn't clear. Eudora is indeed my default email program
    > (when I check as you describe, it shows Eudora, plain as day).
    >
    > One program, but two different ways of running it. For personal mail,
    > the icon specifies "...eudora.exe MyMailFolder MyMailFolder\foo.ini"
    > while for work it's "...eudora.exe WorkFolder WorkFolder\bar.ini"
    >
    > The only way to distinguish which mailboxes should come up is by the
    > args on the command line.
    >
    > In the Internet Options, there is just the program name, no way to get
    > more than that in the field (it's just a choice from a drop-down
    > list).
    >
    > When I run Eudora from the Start/Run menu, just typing Eudora.exe with
    > no args, if I have Eudora running, then that is given focus; if no
    > instance of Eudora is running, the Run Eudora.exe brings up the
    > personal one, so somehow the Read Mail menu pick in Foxfire manages to
    > find the work mail folder and ini file.
    >
    > The question is, from where?
    >
    > BG

    I told you. YOU have made Eudora the default mail program. Its
    somewhere within eudora that you made it. Its somewhere within the
    windows registry. What more do you want? If you have another email
    program and made that the default, then FF would use that.

    gwtc, Aug 23, 2006
  5. at Guest

    gwtc <> wrote:
    >I told you. YOU have made Eudora the default mail program. Its
    >somewhere within eudora that you made it. Its somewhere within the
    >windows registry. What more do you want? If you have another email
    >program and made that the default, then FF would use that.

    Thank you for your help. It would have been more helpful had you read
    what I wrote, but I appreciate the effort.

    BG
    at, Aug 23, 2006
  6. gwtc Guest

    at dot wrote:
    > gwtc <> wrote:
    >> I told you. YOU have made Eudora the default mail program. Its
    >> somewhere within eudora that you made it. Its somewhere within the
    >> windows registry. What more do you want? If you have another email
    >> program and made that the default, then FF would use that.

    > Thank you for your help. It would have been more helpful had you read
    > what I wrote, but I appreciate the effort.
    >
    > BG

    You keep asking how does FF know which email program to use, and I've
    told you -- MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    --
    Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

    My neighbor works in the operations department in the central office
    of a large bank. Employees in the field call him when they have
    problems with their computers. One night he got a call from a woman in
    one of the branch banks who had this question: "I've got smoke coming
    from the back of my terminal. Do you guys have a fire downtown?"
    gwtc, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Ed Mullen Guest

    at dot wrote:
    > gwtc <> wrote:
    >> I told you. YOU have made Eudora the default mail program. Its
    >> somewhere within eudora that you made it. Its somewhere within the
    >> windows registry. What more do you want? If you have another email
    >> program and made that the default, then FF would use that.

    > Thank you for your help. It would have been more helpful had you read
    > what I wrote, but I appreciate the effort.
    >
    > BG

    I read what you wrote and I read what gwtc wrote. I think you are not
    comprehending what you were told.

    1. Your default mail program is determined by your operating system
    (presumably Windows) and your mail program.

    2. Firefox simply looks to the OS to find out what your default email
    program is. When you ask FF to do something requiring your email
    program it is simply invoking the program defined by the OS, nothing more.

    3. The information defining the default email program is stored in the
    Windows registry. I'm not certain but I believe this key is the storage
    location:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

    4. If FF is not doing what you want, you need to investigate the
    Windows registry and the settings in Eudora.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 23, 2006
  8. at Guest

    No, you are both missing the point.

    The question is NOT why Firefox chooses to run Eudora when I ask it to
    read mail or write a new message or click on a mailto link. I know
    very well that it runs Eudora because, yes, Eudora is my default mail
    program.

    The question is HOW it runs Eudora. That is, what command line
    arguments, if any, it provides. Because depending on the command line
    args, Eudora can open with personal mail or work mail or whatever
    folder (for mailbox files) and ini file one tells it.

    The mystery is that sometimes it starts Eudora with one set of mail
    folders and sometime with a different set.

    After much poking around in the registry, I found entries providing
    the full command line saved after I start whichever instance of Eudora
    I want to run. If I then run the other instance, sure enough, that
    registry entry changes. So some of the mystery is solved, though I
    have reproduced the still odd behavior of the "Read Mail" menu pick
    (in Firefox's Tools menu) brings up Eudora with work folders, but the
    "New Message" menu pick and mailto links bring up Eudora with the
    non-work folders.

    I hope this at least clears up WHAT QUESTION I'VE BEEN ASKING.

    Thanks very much.

    BG
    at, Aug 24, 2006