Deepdiscountdvd Security Glitch

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Mike

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >They is a security glitch at deepdiscountdvd according to dvdtalk.com
    >http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=683f63023f70cabc550b713243ab7413&threadid=389775
    >
    >People have been logging in and being taken to other peoples accounts.
    >Once in you have access to peoples credit details, address & order
    >history. You are can also place orders in that persons account.

    This is particularly ironic because a uear or so ago I specifically
    asked them not to store my credit card permanently in their system,
    but they said they were not set up to remove them!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry
    Stan Brown, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Mike

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Mike" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>They is a security glitch at deepdiscountdvd according to dvdtalk.com
    >>http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=683f63023f70cabc550b713243ab7413&threadid=389775
    >>
    >>People have been logging in and being taken to other peoples accounts.
    >>Once in you have access to peoples credit details, address & order
    >>history. You are can also place orders in that persons account.

    >This is particularly ironic because a uear or so ago I specifically
    >asked them not to store my credit card permanently in their system,
    >but they said they were not set up to remove them!

    Just now I was able to log into my own account by unchecking the
    "Remember me" box on the login page. That might work for other
    folks.

    Then I went to "Account info" and entered a bogus MasterCard number
    (5999999999999999). The system rejected it, so I changed the default
    to "Bill me later", and the Account Info page shows "Visa" with no
    card number.

    I don't plan to reorder from DDDVD, ever, but this makes it less
    likely someone else can order on my credit card.

    Stan Brown, Oct 10, 2004
  4. I've been logging in often after reading about this and I have had no
    problems going directly to my account. I just ordered something though with
    a single use number just to be safe.
    Michael Walker, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Stan Brown wrote:

    >>>They is a security glitch at deepdiscountdvd according to dvdtalk.com
    >>>http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=683f63023f70cabc550b713243ab7413&threadid=389775
    >>>
    >>>People have been logging in and being taken to other peoples accounts.
    >>>Once in you have access to peoples credit details, address & order
    >>>history. You are can also place orders in that persons account.

    > Just now I was able to log into my own account by unchecking the
    > "Remember me" box on the login page. That might work for other
    > folks.
    >
    > Then I went to "Account info" and entered a bogus MasterCard number
    > (5999999999999999). The system rejected it, so I changed the default
    > to "Bill me later", and the Account Info page shows "Visa" with no
    > card number.

    Just now, I logged in as usual, and got my own account on the first try--
    Either I'm just naturally lucky, or glitch over.

    Derek Janssen (no glitch lasts forever, you know)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Mike

    Rod Guest

    That explains why CitiBank has been calling or sending me a letter to verify every DDD purchase?

    Combine that with the fact that they aren't quite so deep discount anymore, they're history for me..

    Rod, Oct 11, 2004
  7. Mike

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << I've been logging in often after reading about this and I have had no
    problems going directly to my account >><BR><BR>

    Out of curiosity, I did just log in their site, and the "Hello..." part up in
    the upper left corner did indeed have someone else's name on it. However, when
    I tried to click on Account Status to see what was listed, I received an error
    message saying that I need to log in.

    Further attempts to log back into the site have received no other false names.
    SoHillsGuy, Oct 11, 2004