DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jaime M. de Castellvi, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. Don't get me wrong. I love Deep Discount DVD. I love their
    promptness, I love their service and, although I may not always relish
    the effectiveness of their web site's search engine, I particularly
    love their biannual 20% off sales. I try to take advantage of these
    in order to build up my collection of box sets, but I also try to
    limit the size of these orders to what I can both afford and review
    before the exchange period expires (technically, at least).

    In practice, they have been understanding and willing to exchange
    defective items even if I had gone slightly over the exchange period
    (plus, with mail being the way it is, there is always a slight area of
    uncertainty there), and they've never given me a problem.

    What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
    high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
    out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
    screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

    In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
    sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
    set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
    was a charm.

    I recently placed my third and fourth orders. Just got reviewing a
    DVD box set, no problems. Got started on a second one... bang!
    Another screen-freezing defective disk.

    Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
    one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
    does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
    disks in their purchases from them? Whenever I run into a problem I
    immediately wipe the disk outwards from the center with special DVD
    cleaning tissues to ensure that the disk really has a problem and it
    is not a mere dust issue, but even so...

    On another note, what are everybody's favorite DVD cleaning products?
    Also, are any of those DVD/CD repair devices that retail for about $40
    actually any good? I got the one from Memorex a couple of years ago
    or so and have not been particularly impressed with it. Even
    following the instructions carefully, it seems to consistently do more
    smudging and staining than fixing.

    Cheers,

    Jaime
    Jaime M. de Castellvi, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Once Upon A Time Jaime M. de Castellvi wrote:

    >What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
    >high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
    >out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
    >screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.
    >
    >In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
    >sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
    >set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
    >was a charm.
    >
    >I recently placed my third and fourth orders. Just got reviewing a
    >DVD box set, no problems. Got started on a second one... bang!
    >Another screen-freezing defective disk.

    Maybe it's your player.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Starz_Kid Guest

    "Jaime M. de Castellvi" <> wrote in message
    > Don't get me wrong. I love Deep Discount DVD. I love their
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jaime

    ****** Hello Jaime, I would consider getting an up to date DVD player. With
    the problem that you are having, I would suspect the DVD player...!

    Starz_Kid...
    Starz_Kid, Nov 29, 2006
  4. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    <> wrote:

    >What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
    >high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
    >out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
    >screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

    I've been ordering from them for a long time and I have never once
    gotten anything defective. There was a time when both my wife and I
    accidentally ordered the same thing because we didn't know the other
    was going to do it and DDDVD took the extra back, no questions asked.
    Brian Henderson, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage ofDefective?

    Brian Henderson wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
    >> high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
    >> out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
    >> screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

    > I've been ordering from them for a long time and I have never once
    > gotten anything defective. There was a time when both my wife and I
    > accidentally ordered the same thing because we didn't know the other
    > was going to do it and DDDVD took the extra back, no questions asked.

    I also have been ordering from them for a long time and never got
    anything defective. Never returned anything. Good to know that they're
    good about it, just in case. :)
    Michael Bowker, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Neck & Red Guest

    > What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
    > high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
    > out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
    > screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.
    >
    > In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
    > sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
    > set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
    > was a charm.

    Sounds like it's time for a new DVD player. The discs are, and always have
    been, just fine.
    Neck & Red, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    <> Gave us:

    > Got started on a second one... bang!
    >Another screen-freezing defective disk.

    Do you restart the disk to see if the "freeze" occurs in the same
    place each time?

    >Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
    >one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
    >does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
    >disks in their purchases from them?

    What brand and model of player do you use? Also give its age and
    the region you are in as environmental conditions are also a factor.

    I suspect your player more than the discs as getting a functioning
    disc on a subsequent set does not mean that the other disc was bad if
    your player is in marginal calibration.
    JoeBloe, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    <> Gave us:

    > Whenever I run into a problem I
    >immediately wipe the disk outwards from the center with special DVD
    >cleaning tissues to ensure that the disk really has a problem and it
    >is not a mere dust issue, but even so...

    NEVER touch the surface of an optical disc. EVER!

    You can hold your brand new discs up and LOOK at them, and clearly
    see that the SURFACE is defect free. Dust is not an issue here as
    they are new discs. So if an embedded defect is in a disc, you are
    certainly not going to be able to wipe it away.
    JoeBloe, Nov 29, 2006
  9. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    <> Gave us:

    >On another note, what are everybody's favorite DVD cleaning products?

    First rule of optical discs:

    The easiest way to keep a disc clean is to *never* touch the optical
    surface to begin with! It is just like a camera lens except that it
    can be scratched by a single particle of dust. "Cleaning" a disc is a
    detrimental process.

    There are only two places for a disc. The disc tray of a
    player/reader, and the case it came in.
    JoeBloe, Nov 29, 2006
  10. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Arthur Engh Guest

    > You can hold your brand new discs up and LOOK at them, and clearly
    > see that the SURFACE is defect free. Dust is not an issue here as
    > they are new discs. So if an embedded defect is in a disc, you are
    > certainly not going to be able to wipe it away.

    Hold the disc up in front of a light bulb. If you see substantial holes
    where the light shines through you have a problem.

    Arthur Engh, Nov 29, 2006
  11. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Arthur Engh Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 05:29:23 +0800, Aaron J. Bossig
    <> wrote:

    > In ordering hundreds of DVDs from DeepDiscount, I have gotten exactly
    > one defective disc. After purchasing more than 1,000 DVDs from various
    > retailers, DeepDiscountDVD included, I have still had only one defective
    > disc. I think that one disc was a matter of bad luck, and I wouldn't
    > put blame onto the retailer for that.

    I got curious with all the praise and went there to check out prices.
    Opera 9.02 comes straight up with a warning: "scripts.affiliatefuture.com"
    - The server is using a short public encryption key which is considered
    insecure

    Arthur Engh, Nov 29, 2006
  12. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    AlanG Guest

    I've been buying from them for at least three years (probably close to 100
    titles and many boxed sets), and never had a problem.
    AlanG, Nov 29, 2006
  13. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Lots42 Guest

    Dude, it is 'DEEP DISCOUNT DVD'.

    The first two words tells you everything you need to know.
    Lots42, Nov 29, 2006
  14. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    dgates Guest

    Never touch an optical disc surface? (was "DeepDiscountDVD.com...")

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:34:03 -0800, JoeBloe
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>On another note, what are everybody's favorite DVD cleaning products?

    > First rule of optical discs:
    >
    > The easiest way to keep a disc clean is to *never* touch the optical
    >surface to begin with! It is just like a camera lens except that it
    >can be scratched by a single particle of dust. "Cleaning" a disc is a
    >detrimental process.
    >
    > There are only two places for a disc. The disc tray of a
    >player/reader, and the case it came in.

    This is an interesting notion, which leads me to ask a couple of
    questions:

    1. Surely, if you've rented a disc from Netflix, and it arrives with
    an obvious smudge of something on the bottom, you're going to clean
    the thing, right?

    Specifically, if you don't have any special DVD-cleaning products,
    you're going to squirt Windex onto a paper towel and use that to wipe
    outwards on the bottom of the DVD... right?

    2. How bad is it to place a bare DVD on a wooden shelf, or on another
    DVD? The way the 25-packs of blank DVDs come shipped in a big stack,
    it doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal.

    At our house, we almost always have a few DVDs lying around on shelves
    -- both commercial DVDs and home-burned DVD+RW's. How seriously
    should we consider an emergency change in our DVD-handling policy?

    Thanks for any thoughts.
    dgates, Nov 29, 2006
  15. Re: Never touch an optical disc surface? (was "DeepDiscountDVD.com...")

    dgates wrote:

    >> There are only two places for a disc. The disc tray of a
    >>player/reader, and the case it came in.

    > This is an interesting notion, which leads me to ask a couple of
    > questions:
    >
    > 1. Surely, if you've rented a disc from Netflix, and it arrives with
    > an obvious smudge of something on the bottom, you're going to clean
    > the thing, right?
    >
    > Specifically, if you don't have any special DVD-cleaning products,
    > you're going to squirt Windex onto a paper towel and use that to wipe
    > outwards on the bottom of the DVD... right?

    Since most paper towls are ribbed...wrong. You use the flat surface of
    tissue paper (presumably one that doesn't have aloe lotion or other gunk
    in it).

    > At our house, we almost always have a few DVDs lying around on shelves
    > -- both commercial DVDs and home-burned DVD+RW's. How seriously
    > should we consider an emergency change in our DVD-handling policy?

    You can buy a pack of fifty woven plastic DVD-Rom envelopes--some with
    ring-binder holes--at Staples for $12.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Nov 29, 2006
  16. In ordering hundreds of DVDs from DeepDiscount, I have gotten exactly

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Nov 29, 2006
  17. Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage ofDefective?

    Several eyewitnesses place Jaime M. de Castellvi at the scene:
    > Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
    > one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
    > does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
    > disks in their purchases from them? Whenever I run into a problem I
    > immediately wipe the disk outwards from the center with special DVD
    > cleaning tissues to ensure that the disk really has a problem and it
    > is not a mere dust issue, but even so...

    I've only shopped with them once, and got one bad disc out of seven
    5-disk seasons.

    Of course the bad disc was in the last season, so it was well beyond the
    return date when I found it. The manufacturer (MGM) was no help; their
    online form for reporting defects was broken, and all e-mail to them
    bounced. I finally had to contact their parent company (Sony), which
    graciously replaced the disc for their wayward and irresponsible child
    (and hopefully sent them to bed with no dessert).

    --
    The Duct Tape Avenger
    http://www.holyducttape.com

    "We live in a society where 71% of people are below
    average, and that number grows every day."
    -Jeff Rowland
    The Duct Tape Avenger, Nov 30, 2006
  18. As it isn't really practical to reply to each and every one of y'all
    kind souls who have pitched in essentially reinforcing one another's
    experience, I thought I'd reply to one and I chose JoeBloe because he
    went to the effort of posting thrice, but please let it be understood
    that I am thankful to y'all for posting.

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:27:32 -0800, JoeBloe
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >> Got started on a second one... bang!
    >>Another screen-freezing defective disk.

    > Do you restart the disk to see if the "freeze" occurs in the same
    >place each time?

    Yup, several times, to be absolutely sure. I even turn the player off
    to reset it, and take the disk out and put it back in.

    >>Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
    >>one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
    >>does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
    >>disks in their purchases from them?

    > What brand and model of player do you use? Also give its age and
    >the region you are in as environmental conditions are also a factor.
    >
    > I suspect your player more than the discs as getting a functioning
    >disc on a subsequent set does not mean that the other disc was bad if
    >your player is in marginal calibration.

    It's a Toshiba dual DVD/VCR player I picked up when I was finally able
    to save enough for a DVD player, three and a half years ago. Doesn't
    seem like it's that old so it is a bit disturbing to think it could be
    the player. Nonetheless, based upon the joint accumulated experience
    of just about everyone who has posted here (except for a trolling
    young man) setting the record straight, and upon the fact that I am
    clearly the extreme statistical oddity, I have no choice but to
    conclude that the player is the thing.

    Short-term fix (hopefully)? I just got myself one of those head/lens
    cleaning disk, we'll see if it does any good. Long term solution will
    obviously be to replace my machine as soon as I can save enough to
    splurge for one (yeah, I know that I can get plain DVD players real
    cheap now, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of replacing my
    machine, I figure I might as well finally go for one of those dual
    VCR/DVD player-writer, now that they're coming down in price). After
    that, I'll continue to buy from DeepDiscountDVD, only with
    considerably greater peace of mind. And I'll be very glad to save
    their excellent customer service department the undeserved trouble
    that I must have apparently been causing them.

    Now, I notice from your other post that you advocate not using *any*
    DVD cleaning products whatsoeve, and I don't see anybody disagreeing
    with you so farr. What about DVDs that are already scratched? Do you
    find that those DVD repair thingies any good or are they also a total
    waste of money?

    Cheers,

    Jaime
    Jaime M. de Castellvi, Nov 30, 2006
  19. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 29 Nov 2006 11:08:34 -0800, "Lots42" <> Gave us:

    >Dude, it is 'DEEP DISCOUNT DVD'.
    >
    >The first two words tells you everything you need to know.

    Dude, you're a retarded idiot if you think their sources are any
    different than anyone else's.
    JoeBloe, Nov 30, 2006
  20. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    JoeBloe Guest

    Re: Never touch an optical disc surface? (was "DeepDiscountDVD.com...")

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:17:01 -0800, dgates <>
    Gave us:

    >1. Surely, if you've rented a disc from Netflix, and it arrives with
    >an obvious smudge of something on the bottom, you're going to clean
    >the thing, right?

    Perhaps, though as I PURCHASE DVDs as opposed to renting I do not
    encounter such crap.

    Also, if I wait for whatever time for a flic to show up from net
    flix, then I can surely wait the few days it would take to get it
    replaced. Still no touching. You put the disc in after a cursory
    exam for liquids, pastes, or creams, and then you play the thing. IF
    it fails to play, THEN you investigate a cause.
    JoeBloe, Nov 30, 2006