Deep Discount DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tony, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
    here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the past
    year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
    wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.

    I ordered 2 items on Monday morning 6/21. Both items reported by the web
    site as being in stock. I checked the shipping policy and it stated that in
    stock items ship by the following business day. Since I hoped to have the
    items this week, I paid for expedited delivery.

    On Wednesday I checked the website since I hadn't gotten the promised
    shipping confirmation email. It still showed the order as open, so I
    emailed the vendor. This morning I received an email stating "order #xxxx
    is released for shipping. It will be shipped in 3-4 days time." So, in this
    situation if their email is accurate, an order that should have gone out
    6/22 will instead go out 6/29 or 6/30.

    I only saved a few buck by ordering from this vendor, and would have
    certainly paid a bit more to get the items promptly from another vendor.
    I'm very annoyed by vendors who have a stated shipping policy on their web
    site but don't adhere to it.

    Is this typical of this vendor? I know some people are interested in paying
    the lowest possible price for their orders, but sometimes I place orders
    where time is more of the issue than the bottom line price. Can anyone
    recommend a good online store that might be a better choice for those
    situations?

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Tony

    Justin Guest

    Tony wrote on [Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:31:36 -0500]:
    > Is this typical of this vendor? I know some people are interested in paying
    > the lowest possible price for their orders, but sometimes I place orders
    > where time is more of the issue than the bottom line price. Can anyone
    > recommend a good online store that might be a better choice for those
    > situations?

    Bottom line. If you want it soon, go to a B&M store and buy it locally.
    If you order from Deep Discount when it is having a 20% off sale,
    shipping times will be nowhere near what their site says.
    Justin, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
    cheapest. Most Deep Discount orders I receive in five days. For me,
    that's worth the low price, especially for pricey box sets and Criterion
    editions.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Can't get into Deep Discount site

    Has anybody been able to get into Deep Discount DVD ? I have tried and
    tried and have only received a error message. Is it just that their server
    is over loaded because of the sale or is it some other problem.
    Juan C. Rodriguez, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Tony

    Video Flyer Guest

    Re: Can't get into Deep Discount site

    On 6/24/04 6:02 PM, in article 9ZICc.2017$,
    "Juan C. Rodriguez" <> wrote:

    > Has anybody been able to get into Deep Discount DVD ? I have tried and
    > tried and have only received a error message. Is it just that their server
    > is over loaded because of the sale or is it some other problem.

    I haven't had any problems. What time of day are you trying it?

    Neal
    Video Flyer, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
    >here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the past
    >year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
    >wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.

    :s/becoming/ /

    I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
    giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
    their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
    their prices are.

    They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
    your friend.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
    >cheapest.

    BZZT! Thanks for playing anyway.

    It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
    when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

    Service was always problematic, but it went to crap when they bought
    that other DVD e-tailer.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Tony

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
    > giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
    > their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
    > their prices are.

    They're not wonderful and the service is slow but their prices are low.
    I've never had a problem getting what I've ordered.

    > They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
    > your friend.

    Why not http://dvdpricesearch.com ?
    It's the easiest way I've found to determine who has the best
    "delivered" price on any particular DVD. Well, that and the Amazon
    Marketplace prices.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
    >>cheapest.

    > BZZT! Thanks for playing anyway.
    >
    > It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
    > when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

    Where else can I get a season of ST: DS9 for less than $96, with no
    tax and no shipping fees?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jun 25, 2004
  10. DVDEmpire seems to adhere to its shipping policy. If you order it the
    night before, it seems to ship the next day.

    Buy.com tends to ship the next day or so (but their shipping cost policy
    seems to vary week to week so I don't use them much anymore -- and their
    prices haven't been all that good either).

    I tend to go for free shipping, so doesn't mean a whole lot about how
    long it takes. Amazon sometimes waits a while when shipping free,
    dvdplanet is fairly good, ddd is pretty slow. Thing with amazon is you
    never know what way they will ship things; buy.com is that way sometimes
    too. What I said about DVD Empire applies to their free shipping.

    But as to a long ago thread, I've had some fairly good luck with
    amazon's packaging of box sets and their getting to me undamaged (thanks
    to whoever it was who pointed this out); usually the others don't seem
    to think that's particularly important.
    Frank Malczewski, Jun 25, 2004
  11. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Deep Discount DVD--followup

    I called Deep Discount DVD on Thursday (since they don't reply to their
    email very promptly). I was told my order should ship out "soon." When I
    enquired as to why there was a delay, I was put on hold for a few minutes
    while they
    "checked."

    Ultimately they came back with the answer "Your credit card required special
    processing and so that delayed things." (The whole time she was telling me
    this, I got the vibe that I was just being blown off.) I asked her if they
    were saying that the credit card declined, and she said "no, it just took us
    a couple of days to get approval."

    This doesn't make any sense at all. I called my credit card company and had
    them pull the transaction record. They show the charge request coming in
    from DDDVD and being approved. The time and date of this transaction
    matches up with when I placed the online order. No other activity related
    to this charge was processed--certainly not anything that would require "a
    couple of days."

    I personally have learned my lesson--when I want something quick Deep
    Discount DVD is not the way to go.

    I'm not as upset about the delay in and of itself as I am that their website
    clearly states that they ship orders out the following day. In my case it
    took them 4 days (hopefully). I start to feel a bit nervous about dealing
    with a vendor when they don't even adhere to their own stated policies.
    From the posts I'm reading here, DDDVD has a reputation for being slow to
    ship. It sounds like they need to change their shipping policies that are
    posted to be more upfront with people about the realities of shipping.

    Tony
    Tony, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Where else can I get a season of ST: DS9 for less than $96, with no
    > tax and no shipping fees?

    The back of somebody's truck, in an alley? :-D

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004
  13. Stan Brown wrote:
    > I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
    > giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
    > their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
    > their prices are.
    >
    > They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
    > your friend.

    They are not always the lowest (I rarely see them more than a nickel
    above the cheapest vendor), but often the vendor with the lower price
    has a lower customer satisfaction rating as well.

    I think their detractors are people who just had a bad experience, a DVD
    took "too long" getting to their house or whatever, and so they swore
    them off. Me, and plenty of other people are quite satisfied with our
    Deep Discount experiences, even when the order took a while (which is rare).

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004
  14. Re: Deep Discount DVD--followup

    Tony wrote:
    > I personally have learned my lesson--when I want something quick Deep
    > Discount DVD is not the way to go.

    Deep Discount is probably five people in a warehouse. The price is
    lower than retail or places like Amazon because when you buy a DVD from
    one of those joints, part of the price goes to the customer service,
    payroll, facilities, etc. If paying a lower price means dealing with
    crappy service, well, I won't complain, I know what I'm getting into.
    If I want to pay a higher price for better service, fine. If another
    vendor offers superior service for the same price as Deep Discount, then
    by all means buy from them, as will many other people, either putting
    Deep Discount out of business or forcing them to better their service.

    Ever read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell?

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004
  15. Tony

    Goro Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Stan Brown <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >>Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
    > >>cheapest.

    > > BZZT! Thanks for playing anyway.
    > >
    > > It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
    > > when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

    > Where else can I get a season of ST: DS9 for less than $96, with no
    > tax and no shipping fees?

    http://dvdpacific.com/search.asp?title=deep space&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

    yes, you pay for shipping, but they ship priority and you get it
    quickly. Plus their customer service is absolutely excellent (email
    get a reply generally the same day).

    -goro-
    Goro, Jun 25, 2004
  16. Tony

    lrulan Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
    > here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the

    past
    > year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
    > wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.
    >
    > I ordered 2 items on Monday morning 6/21. Both items reported by the web
    > site as being in stock. I checked the shipping policy and it stated that

    in
    > stock items ship by the following business day. Since I hoped to have the
    > items this week, I paid for expedited delivery.
    >
    > On Wednesday I checked the website since I hadn't gotten the promised
    > shipping confirmation email. It still showed the order as open, so I
    > emailed the vendor. This morning I received an email stating "order #xxxx
    > is released for shipping. It will be shipped in 3-4 days time." So, in

    this
    > situation if their email is accurate, an order that should have gone out
    > 6/22 will instead go out 6/29 or 6/30.
    >
    > I only saved a few buck by ordering from this vendor, and would have
    > certainly paid a bit more to get the items promptly from another vendor.
    > I'm very annoyed by vendors who have a stated shipping policy on their web
    > site but don't adhere to it.
    >
    > Is this typical of this vendor? I know some people are interested in

    paying
    > the lowest possible price for their orders, but sometimes I place orders
    > where time is more of the issue than the bottom line price. Can anyone
    > recommend a good online store that might be a better choice for those
    > situations?
    >
    > Tony

    It seems that Deep Discount DVD does have a problem when it comes to
    expedited shipping. All their package ship out the same way whether you pay
    for priority shipping or use their FREE shipping. At least that has been my
    experience. I usually just stay with their free shipping.

    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time

    lrulan, Jun 25, 2004
  17. Tony

    Smaug69 Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Tony" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
    > >here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the past
    > >year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
    > >wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.

    > :s/becoming/ /
    >
    > I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
    > giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
    > their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
    > their prices are.

    I have been ordering from them for years with no problems(and I don't
    go around yelling it). They don't always have the lowest prices and
    sometimes they don't even carry something I want, but by and large
    they have the best prices and selection. DVDSoon actually undercut
    them significantly on the Dead Like Me and Monk sets, but both were on
    backorder so I ordered from DDDVD- and by using the 20% off
    promotional code I actually got them as cheap as DVDSoon.

    > They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
    > your friend.

    I prefer DVDPriceSearch because they also show the newest deals and
    all the coupon/promotional codes.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, Jun 25, 2004
  18. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
    >> your friend.

    >Why not http://dvdpricesearch.com ?

    Because froogle found better prices the last three times I tried. I
    used to use dvdpricesearch, but the non-Javascript interface
    mysteriously started working. I tried again from a public-access
    computer (where I didn't care about malware) and froogle did better
    on all three searches.

    Now I just use froogle and don't bother about dvdpricesearch any
    more.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004
  19. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I think their detractors are people who just had a bad experience, a DVD
    >took "too long" getting to their house or whatever, and so they swore
    >them off.

    I have been lied to about shipping dates -- not in the future, but
    told that something had shipped where later evidence showed that it
    had not. About half the times I tried to order on their site I had
    to give up because it was so horrendously slow -- or it outright
    crashed. I have ordered (and paid for!) upgraded shipping, yet had
    packages sent media mail. I have sent multiple e-mails and had them
    ignored.

    Every one of those complaints has been voiced by others.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004
  20. Tony

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:
    >Stan Brown <> wrote in
    >> It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
    >> when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

    >Where else can I get a season of ST: DS9 for less than $96, with no
    >tax and no shipping fees?

    I assume from your question that the answer is nowhere that you know
    of.

    I did not say DDDVD's price is _never_ lowest. That proves nothing -
    - even the worst retailer occasionally beats the others. What I said
    is that the occasional low price is not enough to compensate for the
    truly horrendous customer service.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 25, 2004