    --
    Ray

    Remove NO and SPAM to reply
    Ray, May 29, 2004

  2. Ray

    Biz Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    news:dEStc.3245$...
    > I usually purchase most of my DVDs from Amazon, but I use Deep Discount

    DVD
    > for box sets because they tend to be cheaper. Last year I bought

    Homicide:
    > Life on the Street (HLOTS), Season 3 from DDD and had a defective disc in
    > the set. I sent the set back and DDD replaced it without a hassle.

    Earlier
    > this year, I purchased HLOTS, Season 4 from DDD and have now discovered a
    > defective disc in this set as well.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if DDD stocks defective merchandise (which is why their
    > prices are low), or if the quality control on the HLOTS DVDs is just not
    > very good.
    >
    > Has anyone else noticed a trend of defective discs from Deep Discount?

    I would be more suspicous of the manufacturers of the HLOTS sets, than of
    DD...unless you have other box sets from DD that also have defective discs
    in them?
    Biz, May 29, 2004

  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

    > I would be more suspicous of the manufacturers of the HLOTS sets, than of
    > DD...unless you have other box sets from DD that also have defective discs
    > in them?

    I don't have any other defective sets or discs. In fact, these 2 incidents
    are the first defective DVDs I've ever experienced from any retailer or
    manufacturer. Maybe the culprit is the HLOTS manufacturer.

    Ray, May 29, 2004
  4. Ray

    Shadowhawk Guest

    My experience with DVD has taught me two things.

    1. The more complex the format, the more chances for errors.
    2. The more you buy DVDs (and everyone seems to be buying DVDs more casually
    then they did VHS), the more chances of finding a defective disc.
    I've bought about 700 in the last 7 years, and have come across about 10
    defective discs.

    Later,
    Shaun!
    --------

    Check out my Homepage
    http://Shadowhawk27.tripod.com/

    delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!
    Shadowhawk, May 29, 2004
  5. Ray

    RnR Lesnar Guest

    I've bought well over 20 DVD's from DeepDiscount and have never had a
    defective disc.

    --
    RnR Lesnar
    It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

    RnR Lesnar, May 29, 2004
  6. Ray

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > I usually purchase most of my DVDs from Amazon, but I use Deep Discount DVD
    > for box sets because they tend to be cheaper. Last year I bought Homicide:
    > Life on the Street (HLOTS), Season 3 from DDD and had a defective disc in
    > the set. I sent the set back and DDD replaced it without a hassle. Earlier
    > this year, I purchased HLOTS, Season 4 from DDD and have now discovered a
    > defective disc in this set as well.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if DDD stocks defective merchandise (which is why their
    > prices are low), or if the quality control on the HLOTS DVDs is just not
    > very good.
    >
    > Has anyone else noticed a trend of defective discs from Deep Discount?

    I've not gotten any defective disks from DDD and I've probably spent
    well over $1000 with them.

    Furthermore how would the manufacturer tell if disks were defective?
    The process of testing them for defects would probably be very expensive
    and if they found defects why in the world would they package them and
    sell them? I assume that the cost of actually pressing an individual
    disk is only a few pennies once all the overhead is taken care of, so it
    would make no sense to try to recoup the cost of manufacturing a bad disk.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, May 29, 2004
  7. Ray

    SRT Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > I usually purchase most of my DVDs from Amazon, but I use Deep Discount

    DVD
    > for box sets because they tend to be cheaper. Last year I bought

    Homicide:
    > Life on the Street (HLOTS), Season 3 from DDD and had a defective disc in
    > the set. I sent the set back and DDD replaced it without a hassle.

    Earlier
    > this year, I purchased HLOTS, Season 4 from DDD and have now discovered a
    > defective disc in this set as well.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if DDD stocks defective merchandise (which is why their
    > prices are low), or if the quality control on the HLOTS DVDs is just not
    > very good.
    >
    > Has anyone else noticed a trend of defective discs from Deep Discount?
    >
    > --
    > Ray
    >
    > Remove NO and SPAM to reply

    I've purchased quite a few DVDs from multiple sources, including DDDVD, over
    the past couple of years; and its been my experience that a lot of discs
    regardless of source have defects (maybe 5 out of every 10 or even a higher
    percentage). Usually the defects are just very minor things like a brief
    pause here or there, but occassionally one does have a drastic defect that
    renders it unplayable (maybe 1 out of every 25 to 50 discs). Based on this
    high frequency, it doesn't appear as though the DVD manufacturers implement
    any kind of quality control or have ever heard of the concept. However,
    that's probably not really true. They probably do know about quality
    control, but just figure its more economical to let the retailers replace
    the defective discs, which probably cost next to nothing to manufacture.

    srt
    SRT, May 30, 2004
  8. SRT <> wrote:

    > I've purchased quite a few DVDs from multiple sources, including DDDVD, over
    > the past couple of years; and its been my experience that a lot of discs
    > regardless of source have defects (maybe 5 out of every 10 or even a higher
    > percentage). Usually the defects are just very minor things like a brief
    > pause here or there,

    The "brief pause here or there" is a layer change. It is normal. It is
    not a defect. Most DVDs have these layer changes. Some may be better
    hidden than others.

    > but occassionally one does have a drastic defect that
    > renders it unplayable (maybe 1 out of every 25 to 50 discs). Based on this
    > high frequency, it doesn't appear as though the DVD manufacturers implement
    > any kind of quality control or have ever heard of the concept. However,
    > that's probably not really true. They probably do know about quality
    > control, but just figure its more economical to let the retailers replace
    > the defective discs, which probably cost next to nothing to manufacture.

    Especially when they know that a lot of people don't even bother.
    Frank Malczewski, May 30, 2004