    http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/

    Any advice please

    cheers Peter..
    Peter, May 25, 2005

  2. Peter

    EMB Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
    > this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
    > point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
    > make a little as well..
    >
    > An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
    >
    > http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
    >
    > Any advice please

    Buy a server, set it up yourself and get it telehoused somewhere (ihug,
    Maxnet, etc, etc)

    --
    EMB
    EMB, May 25, 2005

  3. Peter

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
    > this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
    > point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
    > make a little as well..
    >
    > An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
    >
    > http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
    >
    > Any advice please

    Why not get a reseller account with someone who offers them? They are
    designed for the sort of thing you are offering, but with lower entry
    cost and more flexibility.

    http://iserve.co.nz/enhancedplan.php is one example, there are others
    available.
    -=rjh=-, May 25, 2005
  4. Peter

    thing Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can I buy space on a Dedicated Server and rent that space to others. I ask
    > this because I have many small clients who I create website for. If I could
    > point all their URLs to my dedicated server I could have them some $$ and
    > make a little as well..

    Yes.

    > An example of what I mean is in this add I found on the FreeParking site
    >
    > http://hosting.freeparking.co.nz/dedicated/
    >
    > Any advice please
    >

    > cheers Peter..

    Your options are (at least),

    1) Rent space and sub-rent it.
    2) Rent a dedicated server and sub rent it.
    3) Get your own server co-locate it (ie host it in ihug's server room
    and sub rent it.
    4) Get your own server and keep it in-house and sub-rent it.

    It really depends on your comfort zone.

    1) & 2) have advantages, if based in the US then probably minimal
    bandwidth charges and lowest rent cost. Dis-advantages are what happens
    if the provider disappears, can you guarantee data backups? and the
    server is kept patched? Network should be more available.

    3) Means hosted in NZ, the network backbone looks a bit shoddy, and data
    charges are higher...

    4) Has the advantage you have the comfort knowing you look after it so
    know its patched, know its backed up. If you are ruuning it on a cable
    modem though data charges might be an issue.

    It is up to you to think through what your priorities are and what the
    costs are to get what you want.

    regards

    thing
    thing, May 25, 2005