dedicated mp3 stream client

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I'm looking for suggestions and experiences with the above.

    I have Slimserver up and running (it's neat - I can even control it
    wirelessly with my Palm, although it isn't pretty) and that broadcasts mp3
    streams onto my home network.

    I want to set up a PC based dedicated headless client to provide audio to a
    lounge stereo. The PC is preconfigured to listen to the Slimserver when it
    is switched on, and just runs 24/7 doing that and nothing else. Control is
    from elsewhere on the network.

    I don't really care what the OS is, so long as it is either OSS, free or I
    have a license for it.

    This will be running on old hardware; I'm thinking probably booting and
    running off the floppy/floppy and network. I don't think a hdd will be
    involved - this box *has* to be quiet.

    Is there anything prepackaged available that will do this?

    Any suggestions? What are other people using?

    TIA

    -=rjh=-, Jan 7, 2004

  2. -=rjh=-

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>, "-=rjh=-" <>
    wrote:

    > Any suggestions? What are other people using?

    I was given one of those Belkin FM transmitters for Christmas (thanks
    in-laws): http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116039

    It works on anything that has the standard headphone jack and it works
    in the car if you've got something portable (like my iPod). Much fun to
    be had :)

    --
    madknoxie
    Yes; we'll have true broadband here when everyone else has moved to

    madknoxie, Jan 7, 2004

  3. -=rjh=-

    harry Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions and experiences with the above.
    >
    > I have Slimserver up and running (it's neat - I can even control it
    > wirelessly with my Palm, although it isn't pretty) and that
    > broadcasts mp3 streams onto my home network.
    >
    > I want to set up a PC based dedicated headless client to provide
    > audio to a lounge stereo. The PC is preconfigured to listen to the
    > Slimserver when it is switched on, and just runs 24/7 doing that and
    > nothing else. Control is from elsewhere on the network.
    >
    > I don't really care what the OS is, so long as it is either OSS, free
    > or I have a license for it.
    >
    > This will be running on old hardware; I'm thinking probably booting
    > and running off the floppy/floppy and network. I don't think a hdd
    > will be involved - this box *has* to be quiet.
    >
    > Is there anything prepackaged available that will do this?
    >
    > Any suggestions? What are other people using?
    >
    > TIA

    Squeezebox :)
    The Real Thing
    Any PC player that will play a location will do if you can remote control it
    with vnc or pcanywhere
    I have had a similar setup running with a debian box with mp3blaster as the
    client, and used ssh and putty to work it from windows.
    You could probably configure mpg123 http://<server>:9000/stream.mp3 to run
    as a service daemon.
    If you do, tell me how.
    This looks interesting
    http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/slimp3slave/
    and this
    http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~decouto/slimp3/

    harry, Jan 7, 2004
  4. -=rjh=-

    Paradox Guest

    I was planning on using a wireless [or wired ] media adapter to do this: it
    provides an OSD on the tv to find your files and will then pay them through
    the stereo. ie:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&prid=554

    A couple have been released in NZ at either ~$200 USD or NZD but I haven't
    been bothered to track one down yet

    Rob

    Paradox, Jan 8, 2004
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    harry wrote:

    > Squeezebox :)

    Yeah, I wish. I got an awesome present for my birthday/Xmas so a Squeezebox
    isn't going to happen anytime soon.

    Besides which, if you compare the features and price, on paper it looks way
    overpriced. There is heaps of stuff around that plays audio and video for
    less; the downside is they need a TV or other display to use them - and
    most also require a Windows PC to act as a server as well.

    > Any PC player that will play a location will do if you can remote control
    > it with vnc or pcanywhere
    > I have had a similar setup running with a debian box with mp3blaster as
    > the client, and used ssh and putty to work it from windows.
    > You could probably configure mpg123 http://<server>:9000/stream.mp3 to run
    > as a service daemon.

    That is the kind of thing I'm looking at; either that or do the same thing
    in DOS. Running mpg123 <url> works but has problems (currently using it), I
    could just add that to one of the initialisation scripts I suppose. Slight
    problem with mpg123 is that sometimes there is a glitch in the stream and
    this makes it exit. XMMS copes fine. Winamp doesn't. Looks like a problem
    with the files I'm playing.

    > If you do, tell me how.
    > This looks interesting
    > http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/slimp3slave/
    > and this
    > http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~decouto/slimp3/

    That last link looks really good - pity the emulator doesn't actually output
    anything :-(

    I'm not sure I get what slimp3slave is about (ie, what does it do that
    mpg123 doesn't?) but I'll play with it; maybe it will allow multiple
    players to synchronise like the Squeezeboxes can. That would be useful.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Jan 8, 2004
  6. -=rjh=-

    Peter S Guest

    "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "-=rjh=-" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Any suggestions? What are other people using?

    > I was given one of those Belkin FM transmitters for Christmas (thanks
    > in-laws): http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116039
    >
    > It works on anything that has the standard headphone jack and it works
    > in the car if you've got something portable (like my iPod). Much fun to
    > be had :)
    >
    > --
    > madknoxie
    > Yes; we'll have true broadband here when everyone else has moved to
    > alpha centauri. - ... Brendan

    Cool - thanks for the heads up on Ascents iPod accessories - didn't realise
    that they had accessories in stock. An FM transmitter for the iPod is just
    what I need - either like your Belkin one or the Griffin one.

    Pete.

    Peter S, Jan 8, 2004
  7. -=rjh=-

    RecyclerMan Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions and experiences with the above.
    >
    > I have Slimserver up and running (it's neat - I can even control it
    > wirelessly with my Palm, although it isn't pretty) and that broadcasts mp3
    > streams onto my home network.
    >
    > I want to set up a PC based dedicated headless client to provide audio to a
    > lounge stereo. The PC is preconfigured to listen to the Slimserver when it
    > is switched on, and just runs 24/7 doing that and nothing else. Control is
    > from elsewhere on the network.
    >
    > I don't really care what the OS is, so long as it is either OSS, free or I
    > have a license for it.
    >
    > This will be running on old hardware; I'm thinking probably booting and
    > running off the floppy/floppy and network. I don't think a hdd will be
    > involved - this box *has* to be quiet.
    >
    > Is there anything prepackaged available that will do this?
    >
    > Any suggestions? What are other people using?
    >
    > TIA

    What I am using now

    damsamll linux and xmms works a treet no hard drive requiered just a
    cdrom wich dont make noise once up and running the sloest machine I have
    tested it on was a intell p133 with 64Mb ram and a cd rom drive that was
    it my slim server is running on a p 166 with 64mb ram using e-smith

    mpeg 123 is choppy have used knoppix on a machine for playback too

    what about making a custom boot disk and using the network for damsmall
    ie a mounted ISO immage and NFS could do the diskless thing quight well

    I am using for my main player a old amd K6II 500MHz machine with hard
    drive running damnsmall linux the hard drive rearly kicks into action I
    have put a quiet fan on the cpu cooler my biggest problem is the best
    sound cards I have that are noise free are ISA and thISA on this machine
    Is POOKED I have put a realy good PCI card in it and it sounds good and
    quiet Signal to Noise.

    Try and see you could have some fun.

    RecyclerMan, Jan 8, 2004
  8. -=rjh=-

    harry Guest

    RecyclerMan wrote:
    > What I am using now
    >
    > damsamll linux and xmms works a treet no hard drive requiered just a
    > cdrom wich dont make noise once up and running the sloest machine I
    > have tested it on was a intell p133 with 64Mb ram and a cd rom drive
    > that was it my slim server is running on a p 166 with 64mb ram using
    > e-smith
    >
    > mpeg 123 is choppy have used knoppix on a machine for playback too
    >
    > what about making a custom boot disk and using the network for
    > damsmall ie a mounted ISO immage and NFS could do the diskless thing
    > quight well
    >
    > I am using for my main player a old amd K6II 500MHz machine with hard
    > drive running damnsmall linux the hard drive rearly kicks into action
    > I have put a quiet fan on the cpu cooler my biggest problem is the
    > best sound cards I have that are noise free are ISA and thISA on this
    > machine Is POOKED I have put a realy good PCI card in it and it
    > sounds good and quiet Signal to Noise.
    >
    > Try and see you could have some fun.

    Heres another distro like Damn Small called Flonix
    http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/wakka.php?wiki=EnPresentation
    It has a CD image or you could run it on USB flash or Compact Flash in one
    of the IDE adapters that DSE are selling.

    harry, Jan 8, 2004
  9. -=rjh=-

    harry Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > That last link looks really good - pity the emulator doesn't actually
    > output anything :-(
    >
    > I'm not sure I get what slimp3slave is about (ie, what does it do that
    > mpg123 doesn't?) but I'll play with it; maybe it will allow multiple
    > players to synchronise like the Squeezeboxes can. That would be
    > useful.

    Yeah, I havent played with it myself , I have one squeezebox, but I also use
    all the other output methods.
    If the slimp3slave does the volume control of the player from the browser
    I'll be happy. Controlling the squeezebox from the browser is much snappier
    than a TCP/IP client.
    Ideally I would like to be able to separate the control and display from the
    player and use a mythtv type lirc frontend or VFD to a remote player. I have
    experimented with using the links text browser, and maybe I will cobble
    something up using links and the gpm mouse functions of lirc.

    harry, Jan 9, 2004
  10. -=rjh=-

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <87bLb.16358$>,
    "Peter S" <> wrote:

    > "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, "-=rjh=-" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Any suggestions? What are other people using?

    > > I was given one of those Belkin FM transmitters for Christmas (thanks
    > > in-laws): http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=116039
    > >
    > > It works on anything that has the standard headphone jack and it works
    > > in the car if you've got something portable (like my iPod). Much fun to
    > > be had :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > madknoxie
    > > Yes; we'll have true broadband here when everyone else has moved to
    > > alpha centauri. - ... Brendan

    > Cool - thanks for the heads up on Ascents iPod accessories - didn't realise
    > that they had accessories in stock. An FM transmitter for the iPod is just
    > what I need - either like your Belkin one or the Griffin one.

    No problem, I think my next accessory will have to be the media writer -
    I think the LOTR crew used something similar. Well, I hear thats how
    they moved heaps of footage around... on an iPod.

    madknoxie, Jan 9, 2004
  11. -=rjh=-

    RecyclerMan Guest

    harry wrote:
    > RecyclerMan wrote:
    >
    >>What I am using now
    >>
    >>damsamll linux and xmms works a treet no hard drive requiered just a
    >>cdrom wich dont make noise once up and running the sloest machine I
    >>have tested it on was a intell p133 with 64Mb ram and a cd rom drive
    >>that was it my slim server is running on a p 166 with 64mb ram using
    >>e-smith
    >>
    >>mpeg 123 is choppy have used knoppix on a machine for playback too
    >>
    >>what about making a custom boot disk and using the network for
    >>damsmall ie a mounted ISO immage and NFS could do the diskless thing
    >>quight well
    >>
    >>I am using for my main player a old amd K6II 500MHz machine with hard
    >>drive running damnsmall linux the hard drive rearly kicks into action
    >>I have put a quiet fan on the cpu cooler my biggest problem is the
    >>best sound cards I have that are noise free are ISA and thISA on this
    >>machine Is POOKED I have put a realy good PCI card in it and it
    >>sounds good and quiet Signal to Noise.
    >>
    >>Try and see you could have some fun.

    > Heres another distro like Damn Small called Flonix
    > http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/wakka.php?wiki=EnPresentation
    > It has a CD image or you could run it on USB flash or Compact Flash in one
    > of the IDE adapters that DSE are selling.

    Thanks Ill Have a look.

    RecyclerMan, Jan 9, 2004
  12. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    harry wrote:

    > Heres another distro like Damn Small called Flonix
    > http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/wakka.php?wiki=EnPresentation
    > It has a CD image or you could run it on USB flash or Compact Flash in one
    > of the IDE adapters that DSE are selling.

    Other live CD based media-oriented distros worth looking at are GeexBox,
    Movix and Dyne:bolic. My preference is to avoid a CD based system as my
    hardware is going to be quite old and low end, ie it won't boot from a CD,
    so I'll have to use a floppy anyway.

    There are a couple of single floppy linux based systems, too; moof and
    another (unamed) for car audio use. Both use mpg123 so will probably deal
    with streams. Links from the mpg123 homepage.

    I haven't found any DOS players that will play streams AFAIK.

    For Windows, Coolplayer is excellent and really small, plays streams, will
    remember its last settings and autoplay on startup. A minimal Win95 setup
    might work OK with that, especially if it loaded over the network.

    The CF/IDE idea is a really good one, I hadn't realised the adapters were so
    cheap ($25.00 for a 2-slot model); it should be possible to put together a
    really small system with a low end Pentium M/B in a super small slim line
    case that would do the job. That would be fun.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Jan 11, 2004
  13. -=rjh=-

    harry Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > harry wrote:
    >

    >> Heres another distro like Damn Small called Flonix
    >> http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/wakka.php?wiki=EnPresentation
    >> It has a CD image or you could run it on USB flash or Compact Flash
    >> in one of the IDE adapters that DSE are selling.

    > Other live CD based media-oriented distros worth looking at are
    > GeexBox, Movix and Dyne:bolic. My preference is to avoid a CD based
    > system as my hardware is going to be quite old and low end, ie it
    > won't boot from a CD, so I'll have to use a floppy anyway.
    >
    > There are a couple of single floppy linux based systems, too; moof and
    > another (unamed) for car audio use. Both use mpg123 so will probably
    > deal with streams. Links from the mpg123 homepage.
    >
    > I haven't found any DOS players that will play streams AFAIK.
    >
    > For Windows, Coolplayer is excellent and really small, plays streams,
    > will remember its last settings and autoplay on startup. A minimal
    > Win95 setup might work OK with that, especially if it loaded over the
    > network.
    >
    > The CF/IDE idea is a really good one, I hadn't realised the adapters
    > were so cheap ($25.00 for a 2-slot model); it should be possible to
    > put together a really small system with a low end Pentium M/B in a
    > super small slim line case that would do the job. That would be fun.
    >
    > cheers

    I have that xperiment underway already with a Via Epia ME6000 in a Sereniti
    case.
    It has an integrated PXE bootrom in bios.
    But I previously had a debian P133 with mp3blaster that would play streams.
    An old Compaq with the passive heatsink would probably do it with CF

    harry, Jan 11, 2004