    restaurant making heavy use of wireless credit-card terminals, quite likely
    less.

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/08/dect_phone_encryption_cracked/>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Feb 8, 11:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Attack takes no more than about 4 hours. In a situation like a busy
    > restaurant making heavy use of wireless credit-card terminals, quite likely
    > less.
    >
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/08/dect_phone_encryption_cracked/>

    That last statement is a tad alarmist IMO. The wireless terminals we
    use are not DECT enabled, instead they use the cellular network.
    Besides which, there is still another layer of encryption applied to
    the actual credit card data stream itself.

    Simon, Feb 9, 2010

  3. In message <>, Simon wrote:

    > On Feb 8, 11:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Attack takes no more than about 4 hours. In a situation like a busy
    >> restaurant making heavy use of wireless credit-card terminals, quite
    >> likely less.
    >>
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/08/dect_phone_encryption_cracked/>

    > That last statement is a tad alarmist IMO. The wireless terminals we
    > use are not DECT enabled, instead they use the cellular network.

    Which is probably using A5/1 encryption, which has its own problems.

    > Besides which, there is still another layer of encryption applied to
    > the actual credit card data stream itself.

    Is that what you were told?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 9, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Feb 9, 1:47 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <..com>, Simon wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 8, 11:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > >> Attack takes no more than about 4 hours. In a situation like a busy
    > >> restaurant making heavy use of wireless credit-card terminals, quite
    > >> likely less.

    > > That last statement is a tad alarmist IMO. The wireless terminals we
    > > use are not DECT enabled, instead they use the cellular network.

    > Which is probably using A5/1 encryption, which has its own problems.

    You original statement implies that the security of credit card
    terminals will be directly effected by the DECT cypher being cracked.
    That would be true if the terminals actually used DECT, but they
    don't.

    > > Besides which, there is still another layer of encryption applied to
    > > the actual credit card data stream itself.

    > Is that what you were told?

    Perhaps you should post some information about this matter, since you
    are "in the know".

    Simon, Feb 9, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > You original statement implies that the security of credit card
    > terminals will be directly effected by the DECT cypher being cracked.
    > That would be true if the terminals actually used DECT, but they
    > don't.

    We dont have the portable ones in use here that I have seen, but they
    are common overseas where they bring the bill to you in resturants.

    Richard, Feb 10, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 10, 10:46 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Simon wrote:
    > > You original statement implies that the security of credit card
    > > terminals will be directly effected by the DECT cypher being cracked.
    > > That would be true if the terminals actually used DECT, but they
    > > don't.

    > We dont have the portable ones in use here that I have seen, but they
    > are common overseas where they bring the bill to you in resturants.

    There are lots of wireless portable eftpos terminals in use locally.
    However they run over GSM not DECT of course.

    JohnO, Feb 10, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Feb 11, 12:05 am, Richard <> wrote:

    > And the ones not in NZ are often dect based because they date back to a
    > long time ago.

    In the US (in particular) yes, there are still a volume of DECT based
    terminals. Within the context of NZ however, there are very few if
    none at all. It is therefore somewhat alarmist to make the claim
    within this newsgroup.

    Quite frankly, I would be more concerned in the US with my card being
    taken away to the back room - just what are they doing with it back
    there?

    Simon, Feb 10, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 11, 8:39 am, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Feb 11, 12:05 am, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > And the ones not in NZ are often dect based because they date back to a
    > > long time ago.

    > In the US (in particular) yes, there are still a volume of DECT based
    > terminals. Within the context of NZ however, there are very few if
    > none at all. It is therefore somewhat alarmist to make the claim
    > within this newsgroup.
    >
    > Quite frankly, I would be more concerned in the US with my card being
    > taken away to the back room - just what are they doing with it back
    > there?

    Remember the zip-zap days? Their copy had all the details!

    Alarmist is the word.

    JohnO, Feb 10, 2010
  9. In message <hku3sv$fg8$>, Richard wrote:

    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> There are lots of wireless portable eftpos terminals in use locally.
    >> However they run over GSM not DECT of course.

    > And the ones not in NZ are often dect based because they date back to a
    > long time ago.

    So what are they based on?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 10, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hku3sv$fg8$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are lots of wireless portable eftpos terminals in use locally.
    >>> However they run over GSM not DECT of course.

    >> And the ones not in NZ are often dect based because they date back to a
    >> long time ago.

    > So what are they based on?

    The ones used overseas are often dect back to a cordless phone base and
    landline.

    Here all the portable terminals I have seen are gprs based. portable
    terminals were never popular here since we didnt have the same thing
    about paying at the table in resturants.

    Richard, Feb 11, 2010
  11. In message <hkvs5h$9s2$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> And the ones not in NZ are often dect based because they date back to a
    >>> long time ago.

    >> So what are they based on?

    > Here all the portable terminals I have seen are gprs based.

    Which is back to cellphone encryption again.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 12, 2010