    Electronic Frontier Foundation Media Advisory
    DVD Descrambling Code Not a Trade Secret
    DVD CCA Surrenders in Bunner DVD Descrambling Case
    For Immediate Release: Thursday, January 22, 2004

    San Jose, California - In a surprising retreat today, the consortium of
    entertainment and technology companies known as DVD CCA is seeking
    dismissal of a lawsuit against Andrew Bunner, a republisher of a computer
    program created to allow movie lovers to play their DVDs on computers
    running the Linux operating system.

    DVD CCA effectively gave up a multi-year effort to have the republication of
    the program, called DeCSS, declared a violation of trade secret laws.

    "DeCSS has been available on hundreds if not thousands of websites for 4
    years now," said EFF Legal Director Cindy Cohn. "We're pleased that the DVD
    CCA has finally stopped attempting to deny the obvious: DeCSS is not a
    secret."

    The California Supreme Court last year ruled that one could apply
    preliminary restraint on publication of a computer program only in very
    narrow circumstances. DVD CCA sued Bunner along with hundreds of people,
    including some T-shirt manufacturers.

    steve, Jan 24, 2004

  2. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:39:03 +1300, steve wrote:

    > The California Supreme Court last year ruled that one could apply
    > preliminary restraint on publication of a computer program only in very
    > narrow circumstances. DVD CCA sued Bunner along with hundreds of people,
    > including some T-shirt manufacturers.

    People never fail to amaze me. Maybe someone should give them a life.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2004