Decryption challenge...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by SimeonArgus, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. SimeonArgus

    SimeonArgus Guest

    I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
    anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
    algorithm has certain qualities.

    My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
    or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
    cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".

    Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
    do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
    text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
    of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.

    My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
    to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
    in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
    know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
    person to break it open and reveal the message inside.

    In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
    there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
    attempting to decode.

    Thanks, and good luck.

    --Sim.

    --- MESSAGE ---
    pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
    +Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIcAtnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
    +Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZyy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
    aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
    UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
    dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAXRGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
    +Sod
    +tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRrIBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
    +8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
    XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
    SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
    +Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRtoCoHbhseyIGVu4L/
    TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
    --- END MESSAGE ---

    SimeonArgus, Feb 5, 2007

  2. SimeonArgus

    SimeonArgus Guest

    On Feb 5, 10:22 am, "SimeonArgus" <> wrote:
    > I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
    > anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
    > algorithm has certain qualities.
    >
    > My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
    > or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
    > cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".
    >
    > Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
    > do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
    > text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
    > of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.
    >
    > My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
    > to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
    > in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
    > know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
    > person to break it open and reveal the message inside.
    >
    > In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
    > there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
    > attempting to decode.
    >
    > Thanks, and good luck.
    >
    > --Sim.
    >
    > --- MESSAGE ---
    > pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
    > +Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIcAtnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
    > +Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZyy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
    > aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
    > UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
    > dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAXRGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
    > +Sod
    > +tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRrIBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
    > +8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
    > XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
    > SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
    > +Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRtoCoHbhseyIGVu4L/
    > TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
    > --- END MESSAGE ---

    As a side note, I will describe the algorithm once someone has solved
    it, or once enough time has passed that it is impractical to have
    guessed it.

    --Sim.

    SimeonArgus, Feb 5, 2007

  3. SimeonArgus wrote:

    > I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
    > anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
    > algorithm has certain qualities.

    Well, is you algorithm faster or better provable than he existing ciphers?

    > My goal is to prove that it is secure,

    You can't.

    > in that the average I.T. person
    > or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
    > cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".

    That's nothing special.

    > Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
    > do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
    > text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
    > of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.

    Then why don't you use XTEA?

    > My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
    > to correctly decode the following cypher text.

    You forgot the present your algorithm. The ciphertext on its own is totally
    useless for such a task.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 5, 2007
  4. SimeonArgus wrote:

    > As a side note, I will describe the algorithm once someone has solved
    > it,

    Bullshit. How should someone solve it without knowing the algorithm?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 5, 2007
  5. SimeonArgus

    Bogwitch Guest

    SimeonArgus wrote:
    > I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
    > anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
    > algorithm has certain qualities.
    >
    > My goal is to prove that it is secure, in that the average I.T. person
    > or computer programmer isn't going to be able to look at the
    > cyphertext and say "Gee, I bet this says 'Hello World'".
    >
    > Secondly, since I don't have need for super-strong encryption, but I
    > do have need for very, very, very light-weight encryption that this
    > text would take at least a couple of hours and a reasonable knowledge
    > of encryption/decription methods to get at the data inside.
    >
    > My challenge is this: I will post the sreen name of the first person
    > to correctly decode the following cypher text. If you are interested
    > in trying, knowing what I've stated above, reply to this post so I
    > know there are people banging on it. Bragging rights to the first
    > person to break it open and reveal the message inside.
    >
    > In case there are newlines in the message that you get, note that
    > there are no newlines. This should be one continuous string before
    > attempting to decode.
    >
    > Thanks, and good luck.
    >
    > --Sim.
    >
    > --- MESSAGE ---
    > pFbeEQUsCmhqGHRexPwNJweDkrvJ/yx+LrnHv
    > +Eza3XJYqsL0yCLftftYsHERYlxi6XkKL5fjWOl0BBNgTqXYIcAtnp7Qxs2ODlvTMT8CWkf19qH1eA6MS
    > +Llaf9Llky0GqvAt0njXfX5XiFkFCHeMfx5m36ToZjucVEBuRZyy7UftIUVjBFajgEc17E8Eh3FJjVmsH/
    > aXAuiZqx4HtYd9JmsAaRY5R2mPxgwMRFgz2E9/wj/
    > UPFZajHX0yOO9l3m0nIGRQlTz93AXRSi/8bOEaYwMjX8zoxKZmVsfAtQn3RcOIGkyfEdpb/
    > dYWCXp49iOvsbe5Ol2Kv2xBNhnOKaJhM3k97Qxk2OCZoWpCxAXRGg9qNgOEqYyWI2/78OkZ3hHqtEt00hX2DrGHAxEWDPYX36Cq
    > +Sod
    > +tcEPGeRZ9A2jUt4eVjBFajgGclKQ9EhqA9uSmMz3KGIlzcWr5nsJW4N1p0eZJodhjvx4wIARlXKS96k961GffaWXEFCHc41vkRrIBRQjT3xsUWxSivRIdAnX
    > +8jL/CZmYITB+eF7RX3QI7EXnC7KM/qGAa+tFoBxx/
    > XmPuoLnH61xxBJmzqDYtRX3gMFKE16ODBTerS/
    > SFMOltyD07IodiGE2/70NFky0GKpDpMkxGef5X
    > +Fh1mNcYvg5yr7B8VwrtEQWoY9nnWVTs4cFz1DcHYCIFSKsRtoCoHbhseyIGVu4L/
    > TmHYGQc1u7Gf9Q+QT94wMpeQx7B3nhYlNnivlEcC1MDnpU/kH
    > --- END MESSAGE ---

    The best place for this sort of thing is sci.crypt but guess what sort
    of reception you'd get there?

    Sebastian is correct, if you want us to 'prove the algorithm has certain
    qualities' then you need to provide the algorithm.

    The text arrived, not on one line, but randomly truncated. I'm guessing
    the truncation occoured at points where there were spaces.

    So, with no algorithm, and probably corrupted ciphertext, you've asked
    us to perform close to the impossible. However, this does not mean your
    algorithm is any good.

    Bogwitch.

    Bogwitch, Feb 5, 2007
  6. SimeonArgus

    Vanguard Guest

    "SimeonArgus" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a very simple encryption algorithm, and I was wondering if
    > anyone would be willing to take me up on an offer to prove that this
    > algorithm has certain qualities.

    Do your own homework. You (or your parents or taxpayers) paid for the
    class so to try to get something out it.

    Vanguard, Feb 6, 2007
  7. SimeonArgus

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 5 Feb 2007 08:22:12 -0800, "SimeonArgus" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got a very simple encryption algorithm.

    so has every newcomer to the field of encryption, read up
    about the subject and you will find out why you are wasting
    your time and trying to waste that of others.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 6, 2007
  8. SimeonArgus

    Guest

    Given the specification as outlined any simple substitution method would
    do the job and probably be more secure than any weak algorithm.

    , Mar 7, 2007