    Appreciate it's not the best description but don't know any other way yet as
    it's all new.

    Many Thanks

    Simondo, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Simondo

    gangle Guest

    "Simondo" wrote
    > I'm learning how to download binaries using OE6,i can do music fine etc save
    > it to my desktop but everything else i'm struggling with,when i've decoded
    > it all and say i send it to my desktop all i get is an envelope with what
    > i've just decoded inside not say the item what it should convert into.
    > Appreciate it's not the best description but don't know any other way yet as
    > it's all new.
    >
    > Many Thanks

    You are probably running into Rar parts that have been
    encoded using yEnc.

    If the files are yEnc encoded, which is very common,
    you will not be able to combine and decode them with
    Outlook Express. Micrsoft is NOT going to add
    yEnc support to OE, and decoding yEnc using external,
    3rd party software is cumbersome at best, so I suggest
    not even trying. Instead, you'd be better off installing and
    learning to use a dedicated news reader that decodes yEnc
    internally. (You can still use OE as a text reader/poster
    for newsgroups, but no one serious about multi-part
    binary recovery uses OE.)

    Examples of yEnc-capable newsreaders:

    Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent -- 30
    day free trial):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries (no posting):
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .

    Rar (WinRar--similar to WinZip) files are compressed
    archives that have been split into Rar Parts.
    WinRar shareware (always works, even after trial
    period): http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    Rar Tutorial: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

    gangle, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Simondo

    Happyhooker Guest

    Happyhooker, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Simondo

    dadiOH Guest

    Simondo wrote:
    > I'm learning how to download binaries using OE6,i can do music fine
    > etc save it to my desktop but everything else i'm struggling
    > with,when i've decoded it all and say i send it to my desktop all i
    > get is an envelope with what i've just decoded inside not say the
    > item what it should convert into. Appreciate it's not the best
    > description but don't know any other way yet as it's all new.
    >
    > Many Thanks

    Easy solution: don't use OE, use a program designed for the purpose
    such as GrabIt.
    http://www.shemes.com/

    --
    dadiOH